Wavewalk W500

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
Jeff the wave walker
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw9750

Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I ran this article in the Fishing Paper.

Wavewalk W500 trial.
A Dawnbreakers Story.

I was considering upgrading my kayak so started cruising the internet. I saw an interesting catamaran kayak called a W500. I made contact with the distributor in the Waikato to see if I could have a look at one. I got a reply back that they have a rep in St Arnaud and would CC him in on the e-mail. Murray then made contact and told me he was heading out of the country for a couple of weeks and could let me have one while he was away. Next morning, true to his word, Murray arrived with an impressive looking machine.
I have a Mission Catch 420. It is 4.2m long the W500 is 3.45m long. The Catch is 73cm wide the W500 is 72cm wide. The Catch is 28kg the W500 is 27kg. The Catch can take 180kg the W500 can take 350lb which means you can take two people with their kit. The paddle I use with the Catch is 2.2m long the W500 paddle is 275m long, this is because you sit higher out of the water and can also stand up and paddle.
My first trip out was to Cable Bay. No major plans just get used to it. I found it easy to paddle and was able to change position while paddling moving my feet forward, stretching my legs out, and back tucking them in behind me. The seat was firm and as I didn’t want to get off and stayed out for 8 hours I had a sore butt. Foam rubber seat on next trip. There were a few kahawai about so I tried standing and casting. A bit wobbly at first but after a few goes felt comfortable doing it. Would be great up the lakes you trout fishos. I managed to land half a dozen snapper and 7 gurnard and a couple of kahawai. The end of the trip came and I headed for shore. Tail wind and following sea. My catch has a rudder and is pretty easy to control unless you get side on with a following sea and then it can be interesting. The W500 has no rudder but you don’t need one. It tracks beautifully and if you get side on to a wave you just lean into it and carry on, very stable. When I get out of the catch at the end of a long trip I have to walk around a bit to loosen up my ankles and knees as I have arthritis in both and sitting for long periods with legs stuck in the same position causes a bit of pain. When I pulled on to the beach in the W500 I just stood up and stepped out, no pain. . Felt like I could go out again. Next trick is loading up. My catch I have to lift over my head and onto the roof rack, not excessively hard unless the wind is blowing then it gets interesting. The W500 I lined up with the rear of my station wagon, lifted the front up and rested it on the back end of the car. I walked to the back of the yak and lifted it up and slid it all the way on with hardly any effort at all.
Over all for the day I would rate the W500 as 8 out of 10 with a more comfy seat it would have been 9.
The speed of the W500 I would rate about 85% of the Catch. Though it is hard to judge as you use a longer slower paddle stroke. I wasn’t comfortable standing up and paddling but have tried a few more times since and am getting better. Though I don’t really think I will stand up paddle much.
An issue I have had with a standard kayak is getting the anchor stuck. I have lost a few anchors as the get lodge in the rock occasionally and you can’t put a hell of a lot of effort into retrieving them without tipping out. You normally end up cutting them loose unless someone else is around. With the W500 you can put the anchor rope between the hulls brace your feet and heave till your heart’s content without fear of tipping out. Brilliant. I used the same anchor that I use on the catch and I did find that when the wind comes up the anchor did not hold so I have gone to a heavier anchor. I was using a 750gm anchor with 2m of chain.
Fish finder. The catch has a brilliant hidey hole complete with cover for a fish finder and a scupper hole for the transducer. Excellent idea. There is no specific area for one on the W500 as it is not purpose built for fishing. I have set up a nail box on its side with my old Lowrance X4, and battery mounted together and secured in place. I have them held on the seat at the front with a bungee and with a safety rope in case of upending. I have mounted the transducer on the end of a board. At the end of my trial period I found that I had fallen in love with the W500 and I now have one of my own in the garage. My catch 420 is for sale. The comfort and stability were the biggest sellers for me, I enjoy not having sore ankles and knees at the end of the day. Oh and I have slept on it a few times as well with no concerns about falling overboard. The other selling point is storage. I have bought some long narrow bins and everything on board goes in them. One for bait one for fishing tackle one for food. There is room for up to four good sized kingies, if you get lucky.
:rofl: :clap:
Last edited by Jeff the wave walker on Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to fishing I set a low standard and fail to achieve it, makes life easier.
ZMW9750

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri May 17, 2013 3:57 am

Good review highlighting both pros and cons :y:
Jeff the wave walker wrote:There is room for up to four good sized kingies, if you get lucky.
Won't be too lucky if a HFO meets you at the ramp with four kings though ;)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Fri May 17, 2013 7:24 am

] Won't be too lucky if a HFO meets you at the ramp with four kings though ;)[/quote]

No issues as long as are 2 fishers in the boat !!!
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

BigDave
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 am

Max weight on them is 167 kg, and that's if it's sand. They don't recommend a single person over 118 kg paddle the boat. There are plywood braces you can get that improve the structure of the boat, as the flexing will eventually tear the plastic at the base of the lateral struts underneath it.

As for mounting ff etc, you can put a railblaza rhib mount on one of the fore sections of the seat, and then get a 1 to 3 rail mount. All of your rivets will leak, get wellnuts to replace them if this concerns you.

Burnsco do an 18" bilge pump and also corrugated thread tube fairly cheap, I found a sponge didn't cut it.

I got one of the Viking blue foam seats to sit on, although I've seen mods that involve the white pvc chairs from warehouse.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

bopyak

Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for the review Jeff.

Dave the rivet problem is solved after consultation with the manufacturers in the USA.
The problem was the hand riveter that I was using - it had got a bit old and worn and tired - bit like me really.
The rivets were not setting properly - the riveter was not pulling the heads of some of the rivets completely into the body of the rivet and thereby sealing it.
Put more simply - the assembler was using DIY equipment.
I have also had discussions with experts in NZ and have changed to an air riveter which sets the rivets correctly.

Also FYI I have stock of 4mm and 5mm Well-nuts now.

On another note - I am currently playing with a sail set-up using a Flat Earth sail from Aussie. They are made for sea kayaks which have a much longer foredeck so when the sail is down it is well out of the way. For the Wavewalk I need to be able to move the mast base well forward when the mast is down. I have worked out how to do it - just waiting for the sail to arrive so I can fit it. I am looking forward to using it for a bit of trolling!
I fish from a Wavewalk W500 - a great fishing kayak.

DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Fri May 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Good review highlighting both pros and cons :y:
Jeff the wave walker wrote:There is room for up to four good sized kingies, if you get lucky.
Won't be too lucky if a HFO meets you at the ramp with four kings though ;)
That be a very wise observation there Mr Dwarf :!:
Hobie Out Back 2017

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Sat May 18, 2013 8:39 am

They look awesome for putting mods on e.g. sail or motor
im really interested in them although it does seem like a design flaw if you have to put your own woodbraces in if you are a bigger paddler
What sort of :) plastic is it? Send us some photos
one thing i am worried about is that this might be more sàlespam like wavewalk has put on every other fishing site in the world. I would love to read some objective reviews or get some unbiased opinions
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Jeff the wave walker
VHF Call Sign: zmw9750

Sat May 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Not spam poodle, i is real. I have met a few of our forum buddies here in Nelson. You can check me out on the Dawnbreakers Fishing Club facebook page. I'm on the committee.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nelson-D ... 78?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats me with the JD.
When it comes to fishing I set a low standard and fail to achieve it, makes life easier.
ZMW9750

BigDave

Sat May 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I think it's the same sorta pvc they use for all the plastic kayaks these days. It does have a seam under the upper part of the hull so it's welded together there. Dunno the actual manufacture process. Oh btw, I hadn't heard of them before I got mine, and I've only ly owned one since January.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

BigDave

Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Lol. You managed to get me to look at that monster jd again. Should've seen that coming. So jealous.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat May 18, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing you in action at the next club trip , Dave. :) Jones Bay next month.

Glass is Class.. dedant

BigDave

Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Out with eakfc today at Sullivan's. Definitely doing that place again, lovely place to fish, and so much to scout. The rat kingis schooling and bombarding the yaks was insane. Just begging to be grabbed. Didn't have my action cam but used my s3 to record a bit of it. Was like sitting on an aquarium at times. Will try posting once I d/l the video off the phone.
Look forward to the next nskfc club day too. Hope the weather holds up got a whole weekend again, wind is pants tomorrow. Rain I don't give a frak, but wind can make everything.... Blow.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

BigDave

Sat May 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Oh and got myself a new car, station wagon with some roof racks, and in setting up last night found a much better way of loading the thing.

By leaning over the yak and lifting by its cockpit lip, then bring it back towards you and rest it's seat on your elbows and raising th whole thing over you, then walking over to the roof racks. Simple:l)
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

poodle

Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 am

So how do i get to try one in dunedin, bopyak?

bopyak

Tue May 21, 2013 6:53 am

The material is Polyethylene. The seam is simply where the top and bottom dies meet. It is moulded in one piece - not welded. They are blow moulded and then the cockpit is cut out.
Wavewalk USA tell me they are working on a slightly wider model because they sell to some very big Americans. That would allow them to up the max weight rating and beef up the gussets under the seat. It will also help with stability when they are motorised. However that is on the drawing board.
I fish from a Wavewalk W500 - a great fishing kayak.

poodle

Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 am

Any plans for a lon :D ger one. I like to stretch out when i sleep

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue May 21, 2013 8:58 am

Here you go BigDave >

Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

BigDave

Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 am

Lol. I actually bought myself a collapsing boat chair from smart marine but still feel a little high up when sitting on it so currently just getting a sore but while being safer.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 am

You can buy various gel or self inflating cushions designed for taking along to a sports stadium. With some means of securing, might be suitable cushioning for the bench seat in a wave walk?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

poodle

Tue May 21, 2013 11:53 am

Just buy a cheap rollmat and glue it on

• Information