Let's start the clock on an Auckland retailer's correction

In this section you will find reviews, of kayaks, accessories, fishing tackle, and more. All reviews are written by our members. If you have a favorite piece of equipment, write up a review and let others know what you think.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

Won't name them yet, let's see how this goes.

Dates:
- Ordered and paid for on 29th Nov.
- Store shipped it on 1st Dec.
- First of two parcels arrives on the 7th
- Incorrect rod arrives on the 13th
- Store promises on the 13th to send correct one out, FOC
- The same day, the store does not respond to my request to order another reel
- Next day, store does not respond to my request for clarification and how to pay for the incorrect rod, which I found a buyer for (I've no use for it)

This is my first order with this retailer and the rod isn't crucial so I'm not annoyed, just curious how this will end up.

- Replacement rod goes out on the wrong courier on the 15th
- Rod arrives 20th but the blank isn't straight and rod tip is on an odd angle, store advised same day. Included is a reel, that I don't really need having bought another when I never heard back from them about it. But i pay them for it anyway, and it goes on the shelf as a spare to the spares, unless anyone reading this wants a FX4000 for $40+postage?

I can probably kiss goodbye to getting this sorted before xmas, despite ordering on the 29th of November. It's not an essential rod, just one I wanted to try and compare with my mighty eclipse rods of the the same size and line rating. Come to think of it, I should put them side by side. They may be the exact same rod, just different colours/labels.

- Didn't hear from them on the 20th when I advised the rod is defective.
- Didn't hear from them on the 21st either.
- It's now the 22nd and I've not had a reply yet, although I did suggest i wasn't desperate for a quick resolution.

One of the reasons every rod (and all but one reel) I own is Shimano is because their after sales service is outstanding. I may need to contact them directly if the store takes too long getting back to me on this. I've had to do this years ago when a ratbag store sent me defective gear and wouldn't rectify. Shimano Fishing NZ stood up and put it right ASAP.

-No reply on the 22nd. Contacted Shimano who suggested call the store and deal with the manager and not the owner I had been dealing with.
- Called store on 23rd, got the answerphone, left message.
- It's the 24th and haven't heard anything from them yet.

A snowball in Hell might stand a better chance of survival, than me getting this rod sorted before the end of this year at this rate.
kingiFiddler

We've gone from the 29th of November to 6th of January, with countless demands on my time with emails and calling them and my patience is wearing thin while this remains unresolved. Pretty shitty way to treat customers.

*update* Tried their facebook page and have been told a new one is going out next week when Shimano opens back up and they don't want this kidstix rod back, so I've just offered it (for nix) to someone who posted in the kidstix challenge thread.
kingiFiddler

Received the replacement for the replacement rod today, the 19th January.
To summarise:

- ordered 29th November
- sent wrong rod on a terribly slow courier and promised to use NZ post/courierpost in the future to this area (a proven fast option here - my orders from Marine Deals who use NZ Post arrive in one or two days).
- sent replacement on the original unsatisfactory courier, apologised for the oversight
- politicians are straighter than the replacement rod they sent out
- sent another, again on the same unsatisfactory courier (who again was slow)
- that rod arrived today, the 19th January and seems fine

It's not a crucial rod, so I wasn't demanding matters got sorted immediately. Mistakes happen and the pre-xmas period in Auckland when auntie Jacinda had decided they were finally going to be allowed out of lockdown, triggering a mad scramble for gear is a hectic place to be and market to serve, but, c'mon this buying experience is just lousy.

The store: Paul's Fishing, I was dealing with Morgan who I believe is the owner. It was my first and last order with them and I suspect that suits all parties just fine.
Nemesis
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 15

I'm sorry, but I don't really see what was to be purpose of this thread, apart from venting.
Your issues were resolved and you ended up with a free rod.
Yes there were some delays in delivery, but covid has really had major impacts on supply chains and logistics.
Add in Christmas and sheer chaos at the retail level in the run up to the festive season and that can account for much too.
The rod was bent, but that's nothing new, it happens to all brands, and especially in a low end rod, it won't affect the performance one iota.
And you then received a free rod, which you were able to give away, I'd be a pretty happy camper with this result.

As for the retailer that you did name, Pauls Fishing Systems, I have dealt with Morgan and Ian (and Paul before them) for years, and always found them to be super helpful, happy to order in various items and willing to share lots of knowledge. It's a small store that punches well above it's weight, and I'm happy to carry on supporting.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.
kingiFiddler

I wondered how long before the fanbois turned up.
It's a review topic, this is a review.
Agree or disagree with my assessment of this being a lousy way to treat customers. Either way is perfectly fine with me.

I won't be back. Heck, I had placed and received two or three different orders from MD while waiting for this one with PF to be resolved. Mistakes happen but when the first order exposes so many of them, it's not worth any more of my time trying to order again.

Anyone reading this may or may not stop to question if they want to risk being sent the wrong rod, on a slow courier, experiencing poor communications, then being sent a bent rod that should never have passed the most rudimentary QC, again on a courier the store promised to not use, before being sent the rod they ordered and paid for some six weeks prior, again on the slow courier. If they want to risk it and think receiving a cheap bent rod they have no use for as compo for all their time and hassle is actually worth it to them, go for gold. Good luck to 'em.

I'm happy for you your experience with this store is different to mine. You are not alone either as they have good reviews elsewhere.
Nemesis

kingiFiddler wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:40 pm I wondered how long before the fanbois turned up.
It's not a case of being a fanboy, I support a number of retailers, and don't like seeing any of them getting slammed.
It's easy to pick something apart and throw it up on social media etc, but in forums like this we generally only ever see one side of the story.
Cards on the table I have worked in retail and wholesale in this industry for a number of years (not anymore), and seen some remarkable slaggings from disgruntled customers that the wholesaler or retailer had no opportunity to defend.
In the scheme of things, your grizzles are minor and the situation was resolved, so I don't see why you had to name the retailer.
It serves no purpose apart from your own.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.
kingiFiddler

Nemesis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm I have worked in retail and wholesale in this industry for a number of years
I'm shocked. Shocked I tell ya. Never saw that coming. :lol:
I've contacted Paul's Fishing for their right of reply. Perhaps as it's a public forum they'll respond unlike a number of contacts I made that were never replied to.

You need to lose the chip on your shoulder and accept not every retailer in your fluffy white clouds, unicorns and skittles view of your industry is going to get it right every time. In fact, some are going to fark it up, whether you like it or not. Trying to suppress that info and in doing so stop others from making fully informed decisions about where they should spend their hard earned is, shall we say, unfortunate.

I suggest you, in true woke fashion, complain to Jason and get him to remove this thread if you can't handle the truth. It seems to be the way things are going in this clown world we live in these days, where anyone telling the truth is seen as a threat because someone doesn't like what they say and tries to bully them into submission, rather than champion them for their honesty. I will not submit so 'phone it in' mate.

I look forward to PF's reply. Let's see if they own any of this.
Nemesis

I do enjoy your assumptions.