What do you do..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

If you break the magic mark (20lb) what do you do?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 pm

If it's the first one, keep it for a trophy. After that put them back.
58%
Keep it, keep it, keep it.
8%
Put it back after a loving embrace/photo.
25%
Put it back and treat anyone who says keep it like an idiot.
2%
They actually grow that big?
8%

Total votes: 64
Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:18 pm

I've been in the hills for the last week and this has been a very interesting read to come back to. I like the posts from G1, KK, MadMike, and Paddlesnap to pick a few. I've abstained from voting because the "If I break the magic (insert weight) mark I'll keep it if I want to or if it looks like it won't survive, otherwise I'll release it" box isn't there.

I for one have several fish over the 20lb mark that I've kept (actually I've cracked the 30lb mark too). Primarily this has been because the fish were showing signs of excessive stress or were hooked in such a way their chances of survival were remote. Some had been dragged from remarkable depths as hapuku by-catch, I wasn't actually targeting them. My biggest snapper was a skinny 36lb that looked like it would nudge 40. I kept it because it floated lifeless beside the kayak, but to be 100% honest I probably would have kept it anyway because it truly looked as though it would crack 40lb (unfortunately images of this really ugly, blunt nosed, knob headed, worn fin fish were lost in a computer crash a few years ago) I didn't get it mounted because it was easily the most ugly fish I've ever seen and the "battle" was non existent. I've had fish a quarter that size pull string harder, so it was only memorable for it's size. If I was to have a fish preserved as a mount I'd want something that looked representative and had a great battle storey to go with it!

IMHO if someone catches their first trophy sized fish let them keep it without criticism. If the fish is in good condition and that someone chooses to put it back, more cudos to them :y:

Personally, the only anglers I take issue with are those that constantly target the biggest fish and then only keep the largest specimens while "releasing" smaller fish with questionable survivability. If it's MOF legal size and it's likely to die I believe it's morally wrong to put it back, it should count towards your daily limit.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Limitless wrote: Personally, the only anglers I take issue with are those that constantly target the biggest fish and then only keep the largest specimens while "releasing" smaller fish with questionable survivability. If it's MOF legal size and it's likely to die I believe it's morally wrong to put it back, it should count towards your daily limit.
Precisely my gripe with the way most comps are still run. And why I liked the format of Joe Dennehy's NZ softbait champs in April. 4 fish each angler measured each day (so you could be well within the daily take limit if you hung on to something in case you didn't do better, though I only killed 5 fish on the first day and 4 on the second), and an upper length limit of 60cm for snapper.

A couple of asides:

1. My son intends to embark on M.Sc. research next year on survivability of snapper in catch and release - we all say stuff, but there's not yet been an organised scientific study on Pagrus auratus.

2. Happily for our family, SWMBO used to be the educator at Kelly Tarlton's, and as a family we did have lots of tuition in safe handling and release (on the assumption that snapper and kingies would be the same as other overseas species on which there has been research done. Kingies are more able to withstand human handling than many other species, it seems).

3. Despite what our good friend Josh Worthington wrote in an edition of NZFN last year, it is far from proven that release of hyperbaric pressure ("blowing") in snapper via hypodermic needle to the swim bladder improves survivability: overseas studies have thrown doubt on this idea recently. This was another possible area for my son Nick's research.
Last edited by PJay on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 pm

MadMike wrote: Those weekend warriors you may be surprised how mush they catch in a weekend. For example the beach and boat weighs and sell more than 20 tonne of fish for the weekend between 2000 anglers. some catch lots and some catch not a lot, there's a good spread of ability throughout. so that's 20 + tonne in 1 weekend from rec fisho's... Point is dont underestimate what the rec guys keep because it is a lot bigger than most would imagine.
Thats just one shot on a trawler MM and thay are doing that in the midst of the breeding grounds constantly -round the clock while their quota -Less bycatch dumping , as shown by Matt Watson recently on his show .Well done dude :y:
I've worked on Fishing Boats and know exactly what they get up too. :puke:

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 am

paddlesnap wrote:
MadMike wrote: Those weekend warriors you may be surprised how mush they catch in a weekend. For example the beach and boat weighs and sell more than 20 tonne of fish for the weekend between 2000 anglers. some catch lots and some catch not a lot, there's a good spread of ability throughout. so that's 20 + tonne in 1 weekend from rec fisho's... Point is dont underestimate what the rec guys keep because it is a lot bigger than most would imagine.
Thats just one shot on a trawler MM and thay are doing that in the midst of the breeding grounds constantly -round the clock while their quota -Less bycatch dumping , as shown by Matt Watson recently on his show .Well done dude :y:
Agree :y:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 pm

paddlesnap wrote:
Thats just one shot on a trawler MM and thay are doing that in the midst of the breeding grounds constantly -round the clock while their quota -Less by catch dumping , as shown by Matt Watson recently on his show .Well done dude :y:
OH don't get me wrong PS. I don't credit the fishing boats or companies with any form of honesty or credibility either. but what I am saying is that people generally underestimate by a long shot what the REC fishos take out of the ocean. the Beach and boat is one small area that is countable over that weekend. The dumping issue has been highlighted by many over the last decade but the mighty $ has stuck true... I was was purely highlighting that rec do take a lot of fish as well. Imagine what the rec fisho's take from the hauraki in spawn season as well purely as an example of fish in a barrel
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

PJay

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 pm

MadMike wrote: Imagine what the rec fisho's take from the hauraki in spawn season as well purely as an example of fish in a barrel
Ah, Mike, another shared hobbyhorse.

If I had my way, no-one would be permitted to take snapper at spawning times. Or any other fish, come to that - but I pick on snapper because so much of the advice in magazines and elsewhere is geared to targetting the poor critters just when they're trying to make more for us.

nige
Kayak Make: mission
Kayak Model: catch 420
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9509

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm

IMHO ,I don't think you can ban the taking of fish in the spawning season . But why not reduce the limit around this time perhaps down to 4 or 5 surely this would help some .How long is the spawning season ,is it the same time each year ,what triggers it ,is it water temp ,dose it happen over all the country at the same time ?
We are all into preserving our sport ,

PJay

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:24 pm

All other things being equal, snapper move into spawning mode when water temp gets to 19 degrees C.

They congregate in bloody great schools in the Hauraki Gulf, BoI etc, from about early November through summer on a bunch of occasions, through to even February some years.

Lots of people call this "the season" for catching snapper and go get 'em.

As Mike says, like shooting fish in a barrel.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

As Mike says, like shooting fish in a barrel.[/quote]

:wasntme: Well that seasonal thing is a crock too IMHO and I've proved it-catching Snapper year round -they ARE always there just the soft fisherman that arn't out there .

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 pm

There is no answer that I like in the options i've kept a few and threw a few back it depends on the mission at the time, the condition of the fish, how many people I wish to feed, weather I feel like cranking up the smoker ect... I kept my first one and was glad I did but I feel Its up to each person to make up there own mind and I wouldn't judge anyone for their choice.
Anyway the "Magic" mark should be 30 lb for yakers because 20's are easy to find (I got mine within the first year of yak fishing) :rofl:

PJay

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Well that seasonal thing is a crock too IMHO and I've proved it-catching Snapper year round -they ARE always there just the soft fisherman that arn't out there .
Yes, as I've commented before on this forum, the vast majority of my big snapper are caught June-October.

But as Joshie W has noted in NZFN, anyone can catch a 20lb snapper in the Bay of Islands at spawning time. It's no crock, sorry.

MadMike

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 pm

^^ Agreed. its like catching big fish in barrel :D Hows our favorite rock fishing Pjay? cant be far away now.

PS I think you will find the fish never swim to Aussie for winter and never have. but there are time of the year when there shagging and exceptionally easy to target.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Kerry wrote:There is no answer that I like in the options i've kept a few and threw a few back it depends on the mission at the time, the condition of the fish, how many people I wish to feed, weather I feel like cranking up the smoker ect... I kept my first one and was glad I did but I feel Its up to each person to make up there own mind and I wouldn't judge anyone for their choice.
Anyway the "Magic" mark should be 30 lb for yakers because 20's are easy to find (I got mine within the first year of yak fishing) :rofl:
Come on Kerry, now you're just showing off :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 pm

MadMike wrote: but there are time of the year when there shagging and exceptionally easy to target.
Dunno about that, thought eating would be the last thing on their mind :lol:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

PJay

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
MadMike wrote: but there are time of the year when there shagging and exceptionally easy to target.
Need energy to shag, even if only by swirling around and emitting eggs and milt.

Energy = food. Feed - breed; feed - breed.

So, Pete, what do you do?

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm in the weigh, photograph and release category. I fish for the table. My ideal fish these days is 400mm and fat.

I don't target big fish, but do get excited if I catch a trophy fish. My PB is 17lb, caught when I was 9 from a boat. We did kill and smoke that fish. There was no way I would have released it, I wanted to show everyone at the ramp, and the neighbours and the guy at the diary and ...

I feel like I have ticked the 'caught a big snapper 'box, even though I haven't cracked 20lb.

I'd love to catch some bigger fish, but they will all go back unless mortally wounded.

Personally I would like to see regulations that prevent people taking a lot of big fish. Maybe as well as the minimum size, only one fish within your daily bag limit above a certain size (e.g. 550mm).
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm

PJay wrote:
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Need energy to shag, even if only by swirling around and emitting eggs and milt.

Energy = food. Feed - breed; feed - breed.

So, Pete, what do you do?
He prob does the same...

Feed - breed; feed - breed.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

PJay

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Ed Zachary.

Mike's now regretting it, I believe...next bub due any minute now...even though he's lost weight.

MadMike

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 pm

HAHA yeah. shagging round Christmas I have to remember is not conducive for Spring time fishing :( certainly goes with the feed to breed thing though :P

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Pointloader wrote:
Kerry wrote:There is no answer that I like in the options i've kept a few and threw a few back it depends on the mission at the time, the condition of the fish, how many people I wish to feed, weather I feel like cranking up the smoker ect... I kept my first one and was glad I did but I feel Its up to each person to make up there own mind and I wouldn't judge anyone for their choice.
Come on Kerry, now you're just showing off :lol:
Now I bet you get a 20 within yr first year too Brad!

• Information