What do you do..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

If you break the magic mark (20lb) what do you do?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:44 pm

If it's the first one, keep it for a trophy. After that put them back.
58%
Keep it, keep it, keep it.
8%
Put it back after a loving embrace/photo.
25%
Put it back and treat anyone who says keep it like an idiot.
2%
They actually grow that big?
8%

Total votes: 64
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

This weeks poll is from Pointloader:

If you break the magic mark (20lb) what do you do?

If it's the first one, keep it for a trophy. After that put them back.
Keep it, keep it, keep it.
Put it back after a loving embrace/photo
Put it back and treat anyone who says keep it like an idiot
They actually grow that big?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 pm

:angel: I'd love to say that I'd put it back but TBO, first time I'm not sure that I could.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 pm

If it's the first one, keep it for a trophy. After that put them back :y:
just have to land one in the yak 1st :^)
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

for a comp I would keep it other than that it depends how it looks, if its a old fish I would put it back, or maybe 1 out of 5 I would keep it for the smoker

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Have not caught one yet from a yak but this one went back after a pic. Yes yes I know it was a longgggggg time ago :lol:
Attachments
IMG0044.jpg
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 pm

I know I'll be keeping my first one... I _THINK_ I'll let the rest go, but need to get the first one first
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Boomy
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler/Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Boomy

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:43 am

OK, forgive my ignorance, what kind of fish is that? Looks like a cross breed between a Black Drum (aka Big Ugly) and a Blue Gill?

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am

Boomy wrote:OK, forgive my ignorance, what kind of fish is that? Looks like a cross breed between a Black Drum (aka Big Ugly) and a Blue Gill?
snapper :y:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

sk8e8

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... CJfGLTqBWQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or just view 2/3 of all trip reports :P
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:39 am

I kept a 30+ a few years back now in my early 20's. Sad to say I have regretted it ever since and tend to feel ashamed about it, which takes the edge off it a little bit, that fish would have been close to 40years old . So in the Comps I have a moral issue now days keeping big fish. Want to weigh but don't want to kill.

Wouldn't hold it against anyone that kills one though for a trophy etc. Its a shame to see guys that catch a few constantly killing them though especially from the same area when they have plenty of other fish for a feed. 20+ year old fish can be fished out pretty easily :(, but everyone has a different set of morals and beliefs.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 am

Recent experience tells me this is a very relative topic. Be prepared to cop some flak if you keep a big fish. I did and im pretty over it. I kept my fish because it was pretty :swear: ed It wouldnt have survived. I still believe its personal preference to keep or release... My advice is that if you keep it prepare for everyones opinions on it (good and bad). I wont keep another unless it looks like it will die. Its a hassle to do something with all the meat :lol:

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

I would put it back. I have never kept anything bigger than a pannie. Granted I have not had many opportunities to make the call but a 6lb smoked Snapper is pretty tasty and anything over 8lb for me is going to get wasted. I have no opinion on those that keep the odd one now and again as I understand the excitement when you catch a good fish. I do agree with MM about those that constantly bring in big fish though. Why do you feel the need?
I can't say what I would do with a 30+ but it would have to be a pretty hefty cash prize to make me keep it. I also don't carry a camera with me so you would probably never get to hear about it from me as no one would believe it. Again though, we all have different drivers and it is not for me to judge or pass an opinion that the majority are not really interested in.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote::angel: I'd love to say that I'd put it back but TBO, first time I'm not sure that I could.
Thought you wouldve caught a 20lb by now Bryce???

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Fletcher
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Recently I have caught a few big ones. Main reasons for keeping them was I really want to officially crack that magic 20lb mark (and have no way of weighing them on the water, working on that) and a few of them went towards a club comp. I have let some of the bigger ones go before and it does really feel good.
goinghome.jpg
goinghome.jpg (122.41 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 pm

When just out for a fish and I catch my 20lb off Howick Beach (soon should of had it last weekend) I will keep it and eat it. After that i will let them go after a photo, if you have done all the hard work bought the equipmnt and got out there it should be your choice. One of the guys at work caught a 34lb some years ago he kept it and said he did not enjoy eating any of it (tough) and still regrets keeping it. However in a tournament different story.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

sk8e8

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Someone put up a really good post on eating big fish. Basically its the way you prepare/cook them that makes them nice or yuck. A 4 inch fillet is not going to cook nicely at all

Yamaha FXHO

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

I made my decision a long time ago that when I catch "the big one" it will be mounted and go up on the wall.....already have a spot set aside for it......and before anyone decides to fire some flak, I also shoot things and have a trophy stag shoulder mounted on my wall !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Fletcher
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Hainesy wrote:I made my decision a long time ago that when I catch "the big one" it will be mounted and go up on the wall.....already have a spot set aside for it......and before anyone decides to fire some flak, I also shoot things and have a trophy stag shoulder mounted on my wall !!
I looked into how much that was the other day, DAM its expensive. Isn't it like $600 to get a big Snapper mounted?
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Hainesy wrote:I made my decision a long time ago that when I catch "the big one" it will be mounted and go up on the wall.....already have a spot set aside for it......and before anyone decides to fire some flak, I also shoot things and have a trophy stag shoulder mounted on my wall !!
I looked into how much that was the other day, DAM its expensive. Isn't it like $600 to get a big Snapper mounted?
yeah...something like that...I've heard that theres a good guy up near Leigh that does it...a mate's son landed a 25+lb snap and it was done by this guy and whilst I havent seen it, its supposed to look really good....
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Hainesy wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
yeah...something like that...I've heard that theres a good guy up near Leigh that does it...a mate's son landed a 25+lb snap and it was done by this guy and whilst I havent seen it, its supposed to look really good....

Doesnt Rob do them as well :?:

• Information