Fishing for What?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted
charlie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: 2010 Outback
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm

On a far more modest, and rather safer basis :) , a 10lb trout on a fly rod or spin rod:$ I've done it from a boat but not from the yak ----yet
Profish 400 Lite
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing around in kayaks.
with apologies to Kenneth Grahame

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Tough one to answer.
I've fished from motherships at Rangatira reef, White Island, Great barrier and Mayor. I've fished the Naki a few times, east cape a few times, most of the Coromandel and a few memorable trips around northland.
All very memorable and if money was no issue I'd do it all again (and plan to in time).
I'd strongly recommend any of the trips previously posted on this forum to anyone who wants a bit of an adrenalin rush and have not regretted a single one.
On the same token, I get a great sense of achievement to land a great fish on light gear on 'my own stomping ground' too. 8)
I've caught many wierd and wonderful fish and slowly ticking more species off the list, snapper, kingi, puka, skipjack tuna.

I guess aside from more of the same, to target yellowfin, bluefin or marlin would be setting my sights extremely high but something for the bucket list :rock:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:45 pm

destin
Oh and back on topic I would love to catch a marlin or large tuna from a kayak.
You'll need a bigger net though.....

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 am

;) Dude we'll get ya trained up and I can show you Free jumping Marlin up off those Northern coasts-It's just getting another couple of ya out there in kayaks for back up :rock:

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 am

fritter wrote:You'll need a bigger net though.....
Now that would make a good video :lol:

I have caught over 40 marlin but one from a yak would be very special.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 am

I fish for dinner ....and thats about it :lol:

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:50 am

Yeah ,, think for me it would be another White Island Mission. Those were some good trips... :)

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 am

paddlesnap wrote:;) Dude we'll get ya trained up and I can show you Free jumping Marlin up off those Northern coasts-It's just getting another couple of ya out there in kayaks for back up :rock:
Out of interest and to get further off topic - what sort of gear do you guys run when in monster waters? Livebaits would obviously be the go with our paddle speeds when chasing beakies but are favoured setups stellas and jigging setups? Or are you running traditional trolling gear?
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am

Hunt&gather wrote:
paddlesnap wrote:;) Dude we'll get ya trained up and I can show you Free jumping Marlin up off those Northern coasts-It's just getting another couple of ya out there in kayaks for back up :rock:
Out of interest and to get further off topic - what sort of gear do you guys run when in monster waters? Livebaits would obviously be the go with our paddle speeds when chasing beakies but are favoured setups stellas and jigging setups? Or are you running traditional trolling gear?
If you have an affliction as I do (TAS - Tackle Aqusition Syndrome), you have the capability of running all those :lol:

When dropping dead baits deep or running live baits (deep, under a balloon, or bridle rigged and slow trolling) I run a smaller 2-speed game reel loaded with heavy braid on a short rod.
Jigging - I prefer free spool over fixed but fish both depending on technique and conditions
Trolling - depends on conditions and the types/sizes of lures and the target specie but for the smaller tunas I use round bodied bait casters. For bigger fish on bigger lures I prefer a heavy fixed spool as I only deploy the lures when I see a fish and these are faster and easier for doing this (there's too much drag to tow these lures fast enough all the time).
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm

For those that haven't seen them yet,

Some trip reports below from mothership trips.....

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=2250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Great Barrier

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=3464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - White Island - Kingfish

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - White Island - Puka/Bluenose/Gemfish

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=6476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Mayor Island
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm

With two young boys and everything else going on in my life I am just grateful to get out. If I had to pick a destination and species though it would be somewhere very hot with crystal clear water no sharks and fish that fight hard for 5-10 minutes then just give up. As much as I love catching bigger fish I have zero patience most of the time.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Think I would just settle for the somewhere dry and warm at the moment. Damn weather.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

espriwhk
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: espri
VHF Call Sign: zmv3917

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Hokatika trench blue fin tuna it would be the sleigh ride from hell
boom like that

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 pm

MadMike wrote:Think I would just settle for the somewhere dry and warm at the moment. Damn weather.
Not just me then! When does it get better?

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Limitless wrote:
Hunt&gather wrote: ... has anyone caught a bluenose that was without the aid of a mothership?
To my knowledge no one as yet has a "paddle from shore" bluenose, that's one of my personal goals :y:
Yep Hunt@gather would be able to organize that one for you. Number of handy places from Welly.

• Information