Which brand of softbaits/plastics do you mainly use?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Which brand of softbaits/plastics do you mainly use?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Gulp
75%
Z-Man
19%
Squidgy
2%
Exude
2%
Mr Twister
2%
Home made
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 53
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:03 pm

This one was suggested by Tightlines101:
How about the brand of softbaits/plastics that you mainly use?
Gulp
Z-man
Squidgy
Exude
Mr Twister
Home made
Has your go to brand changed or are you still using what you started with?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:12 pm

Weee, first vote!!

I still use mostly gulp, but have started using the Z-Man ones a bit too. For me, fishing is about proof and trust. Its why many of us find it hard to change, and why things like SBs took so long to get a foot hold. I know I can catch fish with gulp, while I think I can catch them with zman... Once I know the fish are there and biting, I'm happy to change.

It's a bit like slow jigs, I dont have the confidence in them yet.

The other reason I like Gulp, is the range. I like all the colours and shapes. From the 3" minows to the 6" grubs (actually caught my first fish on a 6" grub yesterday - 6lber). I like them all!

Just picked up a 3" minow in mouldy cheese the other day. Cant wait to try it ;)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:31 pm

i chose Gulp as my main....But the Z-man is slowly creeping in to become a near second. I just need a bit more convincing of their fish catching abilities.

UberRhys
Kayak Make: Cobra

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Zman for me.

No more lost tails or shriveled up dried up baits. They just seem to go the distance, last longer, tougher and easier (for me) to bait up. A pack of Gulp goes quickly, where I have found Zman lasts and continues to catch!

Add a little secret sauce and Roberts your fathers brother! Just my 2cents worth... :-)
Cobra Maurader - Artifishal
Kingsland, Auckland.

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 pm

I mainly used Gulp but recently changed to Z-man. Sometimes the fish are in "bite the tail" mode which can be very frustrating with Gulp. Z-man does not dry out. I recently had a fish swallow one so just cut the jig head off and thought I would retrieve it when I filleted the fish. Of course I forgot so it ended up in the freezer. I remembered the next day on the water so did surgery on the fish and retrieved the Z-man. I worked perfectly after its freeze and rethaw.

I think of Gulp as an artificial food and Z-man as a plastic lure. Each has their place but I can definitely get a feed just using z-man and it has dramatically reduced my costs.

My last z-man lasted me 18 fish. :y: I kid you not.

There are a lot fewer options as mentioned for z-man but there are a few shops that have a fairly good range.

PS: Z-man is not food so don't throw old ones in the drink. They need to go home and into the rubbish.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm

I use a whole load of different brands now. Mainly gulp and zman. Gulp for my casting and Zman for my dagging behind due to their toughness. I have staed using stike king rage tails justt because they seem to attract a lot of attention and have a lotof flappy bits on them. They are quite big baits. Unfortunately they are very soft and they lose bits off them easily. One of the guys at work also gives me a lot of his home made stuff. They are dirt cheap and work as well as any other baits do. I will g some pics and prices if anyone is intested.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Gulp... all the way :y:

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm

I Gulp 50% Z-man 50%
love the Z-man lizzard ,head less

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 pm

awondering wrote:Gulp... all the way :y:

what he said... only other one I've tried is the Z-man paddle tail hooked on to a cyclops rig for deep water softbaiting.

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

jigging withit
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:38 pm

I use gulp most of the time but when the fishings easy in the channels and beaches in summer I use zman.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Gulp all the way but thinking of carrying a few Zman's for when I'm plagued by LJ's or Squid.
At the moment when I get hammered by Leatherjackets I switch to Gulp powerbaits which I find less successful but last longer and still sit there in frustration watching the guys around me catch fish on Zman's. For some reason they don't seem to be as attracted to them, Maybe there's a big conspiracy that Gulp is breeding LJ's with a gene pool to up sales????? :^)
Still think Gulp has the batter catch rate IMO.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

jigging withit wrote:I use gulp most of the time but when the fishings easy in the channels and beaches in summer I use zman.
I'm with you. I think when it starts getting a little cooler I may need to move back to the trusty Gulp. Time will tell because I have not kayak fished in winter yet. 8)
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Paul - Mahiman on the other forum - sent me some Secret Sauce when he first started importing it, and I've had some success with Z-Mans and the SS.

It's nothing like the success with comparable Gulps in my experience in Northland, though.

I use the Z-Mans a lot when being plagued by squid and leatherjacket, and my BOISC pinfish snapper this season (9.24kg) was caught on a Z-Man Smoky Shad.

Other brands are far, far behind for me, but I've caught fish on all of them, including the cheapies you can get from KayakPro (thanks, Shamus).
Last edited by PJay on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Mr Twister- cheap ,tough catches consistently , never had LJ eating em trouble, catch everything from Snaps , JD, Tuna ,KY, Blue cod, Kingys, etc -all on the same jigs .
Even trolling em now for massive Kingy action tho have found ZMans work good to for same durability reasons.
Big pelagics play with the soft arse Gulp and strip em -pull them down the hook and even find em hooked back over the hook with no hook up.
Found squid also slice up the soft Gulp badly, so all they do is feed everything and fail to get good hook up rate- too easily stripped.
Plus Mr Twister 's been around forever , must know what they're doing by now I reckon.

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Just thought I would add that I always start with Zman. If they are on then I know it will be a cheap day. If they are not on then I revert to some of the tried and tested weaker baits.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 pm

I made the switch to Z-Man nearly six months ago (with the sauce) but I do still carry Gulps with me if it's a slow day...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm

I still have many packets of Gulp......should use them up before I start buying more bait...

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 am

Celebre wrote:I still have many packets of Gulp......should use them up before I start buying more bait...
lol me too, but they are shapes and colours I dont want to use so much, so I still buy more :P
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Gulps mostly but ive been useing Zman also .

Tightlines101
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Explorer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm

I mostly use Gulp SB, but when the fish are really biting I switch to z-man to reduce the number of baits I use. Still catch fish on them :y:
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3

• Information