The biggest fish you've hooked and lost?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

The biggest fish you've hooked and lost?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:52 am

5lb - 10lb
9%
10 - 20lb
25%
20 - 30lb
31%
30 - 50lb
22%
50 - 70lb
3%
70 - 100lb
3%
100lb+
6%

Total votes: 32
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:52 am

Honest estimates here people :lol:

5lb - 10lb
10 - 20lb
20 - 30lb
30 - 50lb (Anything from here on, we want the story with it 8) )
50 - 70lb
70 - 100lb
100lb+

Poll question courtesy of HLD
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

technical
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6484

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am

I'm not going to count the monsters that took me for a ride on the White Island trip as I didn't see them but they would have been 50lb+ easy.
Biggest snap I had at the boat before I did something stupid was easy in the high 20s. (and it was during a competition! :@ )
Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 am

Yep I too have seen a 20+ on the surface that never made it in the yak, and lost plenty of good sized Snapper that I didn't see, so I put myself in the 20-30lb bracket :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 am

...Reckon I dropped one that would have gone low 20 lbs at Breem Bay......would love to have thought it would hve been bigger, but it would have been 20 !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:22 am

This one caused me some dilemma, do I tick the 30-50lb box for the monster snapper I lost a few years ago at Karikari...

(gaff was sharp enough to get me the biggest fish scale I've ever seen, but not sharp enough to penetrate and secure the fish - Shamus was there to witness my blubbering like a school girl at the lost 40lb+ snapper, a whole lot bigger than the other 30lb+ fish I've weighed)

... or do I tick the 100+ box for the MONSTER bass I hooked out from Lottin point that dragged me over the drop-off and ended up spooling me in 600m of water ? (I related the story in the August 2009 issue of NZ Fishing News).

I've opted to tick the 100+ box because I class that one as unfinished business. I'm in the process of sourcing bulk braid to respool my Daiwa 2-speed with 1500m, am fitness training on Lake Karapiro, and am waithing for the next decent weather window. Watch out Mr Bass, I'm back... :devil:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:13 am

1. Any Snapper:

About 4 - 5 years ago, I had a snapper at the side of my dinghy that was absolutely enormous. Whilst I was deciding how to de-hook and liberate it, it threw the hook and shot through.

Now the biggest snapper I have had on board and measured is 102cm (2 Ministry measures stuck end to end on the gunwhale), and I am aware that Mark Hemingway's IGFA world record snapper of over 37lb was 107cm.

The length of this thing is a guess, taken from the distance from transom to rowlock which is 1.4m and also my regularly measuring 95cm+ snapper.

I would say it was easily 1.2m. That would put it over 40lb.

A marine biologist/diver mate saw a huge snapper at the same reef I was fishing about the same time, and says he thinks that was over 20kg. I'd love to think there are more than one of 'em.

2. Kayak Snapper:

About 6 weeks ago, the one that pulled me out of my yak would easily have gone 30lb+.

He doesn't know it yet, but we have another date....

Milkey

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:20 am

I ticked 30-50lb. To date the biggest snapper I've caught was >24lb. I know this as I have weighed a 24lber a year later and released. But another one I did catch was bigger still but didnt have scales on board. Est. 25-30lbish.
But this year I did latch onto something that was bigger still. I got the biggest bend in my Offshore rod, which is quite a heavy softbait rod, and pulled along at a decent rate of knots. Some BIG thumps of tail hitting leader. Had it on for 30 seconds or so and then spat the hook. I do have it all on video too ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMilkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:40 pm

wheres the 0-5lb category :lol: :tmi:

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Orca%20II.JPG
Orca%20II.JPG (94.79 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Realistically, Most the biggies I've lost have been in seconds like the beasts at White. to get towed by something large thats over 130 metres below you is ..... :rock:
Really hard to estimate when my PB snapper is 16lb, Probably my most frustrating loss is the most recent Barrier trip when whatever it was (a snapper I believe) ran like crazy, I got some back then another big run into the weeds. After what felt like an eternity of pursuasion I got it back out and half way to the surface only to have it run back into the weeks a second and almost 3rd time. I decided that I was going to show it who was boss :devil: which resulted in a 7 piece rod.

Lesson learned, be a bit more patient |(
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:11 pm

I hooked something big at the failed meetup on the sunday morning on my way home.
What ever it was resulted in be ending up with a 2 piece rod.so I didnt get to see it so was only guessing but I ticked the 10-20lb catogery
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Im guessing mine would be a Mud Marlin... Who knows how big ... because those buggers can smoke you in seconds. And they do get very big.

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:28 pm

G1 wrote:Im guessing mine would be a Mud Marlin... Who knows how big ... because those buggers can smoke you in seconds. And they do get very big.
Yes, absolutely.

The biggest stingray at Kelly Tarlton's, Phoebe, was 240kg when they released her, and I've seen ones as big as her when snorkelling at the Noises. (I've swum in the tank with Phoebe, so I had the basis for comparison.)

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 pm

The biggest fish that ive lost would be at Sandy Bay , Coromandel . This fish just ran and ran , i thought it was a shark , it turned my yak right around and i started planeing againest a stiff current . All i could do was put as much bend in my softbait rod as i dared , the drag was already up as much as dared !
I got right down to the last 100mm of backing and waiting for the ping when the fish just stopped !
Got a couple of winds back then felt a NOD NOD :rock:
After along battle i had an exhausted fish of at least 25lb to 30lb at the yak !!!
No gaff , tried to pull the fish closer so i could get my fingers into its gills and ping !!!! :swear:

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Yes I've had some big mud marlins, however I've ticked the 30-50lb for a snapper that bit through 60lb trace at the side of the kayak after bringing him to the surface twice. His head was leaning on the side of the yak when I heard the crunch. I was trying to figure out how to get him on board without damaging him. I had already caught a 17lb a 15lb and many around the 8lb before finally hooking this beast. I would have estimated it around the 32lb to 34lb. :rock:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:The biggest fish that ive lost would be at Sandy Bay , Coromandel . This fish just ran and ran , .......................................... :swear:
A day I'll never forget, I remember being at the opposite side of the bay and heairing your screams of joy :@ :lol:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:42 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:The biggest fish that ive lost would be at Sandy Bay , Coromandel . This fish just ran and ran , .......................................... :swear:
A day I'll never forget, I remember being at the opposite side of the bay and heairing your screams of joy :@ :lol:
Yep ,,, i remember sounds like that :( My biggest ,both the white island trips i was thinking i had hooked Maui , when he suddenly towed me like i didnt exist.. What it was , who knows , first trip id say very big King, second trip id say very big with teeth..
biggest Snap, Sandy bay , same as the others , up at yak , tried to be too smart and not gaff ,
lost at boat , estimate around the 20.. Cried all the way home.. :( :(

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:58 pm

G1 wrote:Im guessing mine would be a Mud Marlin... Who knows how big ... because those buggers can smoke you in seconds. And they do get very big.
Same- just what I was thinking , but have played them for quite awhile at times trying to get as much line in as possible.

Off Waikawau some humungous Kingies on the light softbait rod had the kayak planing after em but parted company after a few good sleigh rides.

Had a big beastie ,got suspicions it had a bill by the way the rat kingy I was playing suddenly hit the afterburners then the line got whacked and line started disappearing at warp 9 out off Whangamumu.

Have also had the Kayak used as a lure by nosy Noahs that have even lifted the stern

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Biggest bust off I had was also one of the biggest reliefs I have had. I was in Raglan Harbour one moonlit night trying out my new prowler when the reel started screaming. I tightened up the drag and ended up just being towed straight out towards the bar. I was franticaly trying to get it under control but I am not even sure if it knew it was pulling a quivering wreck in a kayak behind it. The lights of Raglan were fast disapperaring when I finally got my knife out and caused a self inflicted bust off. I was far too new at all this to be tackling unseen monsters in a new kayak while crossing Raglan Bar in the dark.
Other than that my most disappointing so far was dropping a 10ish lb Trev because I forgot my net and I don't have a gaff. Lesson learned there.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Had a big beastie ,got suspicions it had a bill by the way the rat kingy I was playing suddenly hit the afterburners then the line got whacked and line started disappearing at warp 9 out off Whangamumu.
Yep, reckon Brett will be NZ's first LB beaky. Had a TLD25 emptied without hesitation while landbased off there a few years ago. There's me sitting down, feet braced against the rocks going " :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: " and the stubby rollertip (my mate called it the Telegraph Pole) bent like spaghetti.... Took an hour or so for the knees to stop wobbling and the hands to stop shaking :lol:

On the yak, have had several almost-yak sized Bronzies, but as far as fish destined for the priest it'd have to be a good green torpedo King off the Cavallis. Conservative estimate yakside was 130 - 140cm so guessing 25-30kg? Fought it for about 2 hours and had it lying gaping beside the yak while I finished clearing the decks.
In slow motion, it opened it's mouth and the damn jighead just floated out! I tried grabbing the tailstock (as you do), but it was a token effort as it swam off in that irritating, unhurried way that fish have perfected.

The air was on the purple shade of blue that day, but looking back on it I learnt a helluva lot while trying to work out how I was going to actually get this thing onboard.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

greenguy
Kayak Model: Black & Red Reload

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm

lost some monster kingi's 30kg+ but not on yak
lost too many 20lb+snapps but again on the boat
man i would love to get dropped off at the aldermans for a jig
hmmmmmm :rock:

• Information