Kayak Fishing Guides - Would you use them?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Kayak Fishing Guides - Would you use them?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:42 am

I wouldn't pay when I could just ask a local where the fish are.
5%
I don't see the point when we have all these people on KFNZ to ask or hook up with
53%
Yes I'd pay to be put on the fish
43%
I can see the point in paying but wouldn't be very impressed if the guide fished as well
No votes

Total votes: 40
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I've struggled with an answer for this question....especially the last option.....

I can see the point in having guides especially if it introduces people to the sport in a safe and control manner....absolutely no arguement there.....

If someone wants to use guides on a "regular" or semi regular basis then thats entirely a decision that only they can make....

As to guides actually fishing as well.....I'm not sure.....If the guide is making a living out of guiding then I'd say not....you're paying him to guide and look after you, not fish......

As an example, I go rifle hunting.....sometimes a "mate" guides me, but its done as a favour and little money(if any) changes hands....he also shoots if he gets the opportunity..

I also hunt a property in the Central North Island where I get professionally guided...the guide guides 100% and gets paid accordingly...he guts the animal, carrys it out and does everything except the butchery....

I would also mention that I definitely dont see the use of a "mother ship" as guiding......to me thats no different to driving my car to the beach to go for a fish...its just another form of tranport.

Anyways, another perspective !!

Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 am

I'd use a guide in unfamiliar territory, and in particular if I was somewhere without my yak I would use the sort of service that also includes yak and gear. Especially if overseas.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am

I had no hesitation in checking the “Yes I’d pay…” box.

The hard bit has been posting a response (has taken me a couple of attempts as I keep writing a novel!). Here’s the latest much “shortened” version:
I wouldn’t use a guide on every trip, but when fishing new areas, new techniques, or if I only had limited time on the water I’d seriously consider it. In my opinion it’s the easiest and fastest way to have fun, angling success, and to stay safe, particularly for those in the initial steep learning curve part of their paddling career.

Sure, paying seems to contradict part of the Kiwi DIY ethos, but I’ve taken so many new and experienced anglers on tag-along trips (not as a guide) who’ve come off the water after an awesome time with statements like “didn’t know the fish were so close” “didn’t know it could be so easy” “didn’t know that technique could work like that” “wow, big fish are easy” etc. etc.

The key part of every phrase is “didn’t know…” In my opinion the guide is there to put you where the fish are (you’re paying for local knowledge), show you the best techniques to catch them (you’re paying for experience that can take years to accumulate), show you how to manage your kayak to land those fish (paying for more experience), all while keeping you safe in the local conditions for that area (back to the local knowledge, experience, skills, risk management etc.).
When doing these tag-along trips I focus on the paddlers with me and how they’re getting on (as a guide would, so they get maximum benefit). This means I can’t necessarily wander off and do what I want to. That’s cool, and I get a kick out of doing it, but the big difference is this kind of trip makes up only a small percentage of my time on the water. If I was doing this regularly and sharing equipment and tackle as invariably happens, I’d need to charge a fee as a guide to help cover costs. Remember, one trip a week might be affordable, but several trips a week costs, and also eats into your earning potential elsewhere.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am

Limitless' Wannabe Tag Along Crew:
sk8e8 :*
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am

I can see the point in paying but wouldn't be very impressed if the guide fished as well

I didnt tick this box but I think if the guide wasnt fishing and no one was catching fish then what/who can you blame.
If the guide fishs and catches and no one else is catching then you cant exactly blame the guide. I think then you get the lessons from the guide so you can catch the fish as well.\

I know what I mean does it make sense????
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:47 am

"I wouldn’t use a guide on every trip, but when fishing new areas, new techniques, or if I only had limited time on the water I’d seriously consider it. In my opinion it’s the easiest and fastest way to have fun, angling success, and to stay safe, particularly for those in the initial steep learning curve part of their paddling career."

Yep this is me too.

And I know someone said Rob Fort is for newbies and tourists but hey if I wanted to fish a particular spot on the Coromandel that I'd heard holds fish yet on the occasions I've tried fishing there I've always come up short couldn't I pay him to show me the correct location(s), method(s), and technique(s) to use? I'd like to think I could...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 am

The "should the guide also fish?" question has an answer paralleled for me in another of my hobbies.

I've instructed and coached in advanced motorcycle rider training at race circuits since the late 1970s. Still do (AMCC ART Days at Pukekohe, for anyone who's interested).

We try to discuss, advise, and train according to close observation of the riders' we're training, but often there's no other way to explain what we mean than to say, "Right, I know your pace, so I'll ride at it - but follow me; see what I'm doing, and copy it."

Surely, guiding must be very similar. The guide must be expected to be a coach and mentor for the day, not just a living, breathing fishfinder.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:32 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:I'm proud to say that I fished all but 6 weekends last year
I hate you. :lol:

As far as the poll, I'd go with a "None of the above"
When in new territory, I enjoy spending several beers going over charts, aerials and reading the lay of the land (water) on arrival.
Helps break out of the box of trying well fished areas and finding new, untapped areas.

...and then not catching anything makes it all worth while :D
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:39 pm

I voted yes as I, like others only know of one guide, Rob Fort. I have recommended him to lots of people and see it as no different from going on a charter. Having said that if I caught a 20lber with a guide I would not see it as rewarding as doing all the work yourself. Some may say that Rob is only for beginners but he has a lot of knowledge and an enthusiasm for kayak fishing that is second to none. If all guides were of his calibre then it would be an easy choice.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

• Information