Poll of The Week: MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY....

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

What emergency gear do you carry EVERY trip?

VHF
15%
Smoke Flare
4%
Parachute Flare
2%
Pinpoint Flare
2%
Dye Bag
1%
Whistle
12%
Heliograph (mirror)
3%
Cell Phone (Must be waterproofed or doesn't count)
16%
First Aid Kit
6%
Length of duct tape
3%
Dedicated rescue knife on person
13%
Bailer (Incl. Improvised)
5%
PLB
2%
Tow Line (Minimum length 5m)
7%
Compass
6%
Other (Please post what)
2%

Total votes: 348
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Good point Kiwibrad,
I have a kayak pool session tonight but will try take some pics after / tomorrow and post the up (got a few other projects I want to take pics of and post up too ;) ).

I have a mission Quest PFD, and on it I carry a water bladder (built in), whistle (tied on), my VHF, a small fold out mirror, a thermal blanket, a pinpoint flare, a multi tool, waterproof matches, and a very basic first aid kit / panadol, my cell phone inside two small zip lock bags, and a emergency knife on the left shoulder.

I also have a seat bag (on the back of my seat) that holds a bright red dry bag, in that I carry, more flares, a full first aid kit, Heat pads (the ones you break to create heat from katmandu), and another survival blanket.
To be fair as this is in a seat bag, its not something I would be able to grab in 2 secconds, hence I try to carry all as much communication gear on me as I can.
Things like a ful first aid kit, are realy more there for helping another person / first aid on the yak / shore, as yourn ot going to try and patch yourself up in the water.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:42 pm

I tend to carry a limited collection of core safety items - wrist compass, rescue knife, phone and vhf in waterproof case, ttether, jacket, hat, torch. All these are carried on me. A plb is on the to buy list, but not affordable yet. I also pre-nourish with peanut butter sammies (fat sugar and salt) and carry glucose shots. Carry about 1L of water, but make sure I am well hydrated before I head out.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

OldSalt
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: marauder

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

If you can get your hands on an old computer hard drive, take it apart and use the platters for mirrors.
Im not sure what metal they are but it feels like titanium as its very light, strong, highly reflective(as good as a mirror ) and doesnt rust. I use them as bird scarers on the friut trees and they make good wind chimes as well:)
Like the CD they have a hloe in the middle for aiming

As an added bonus the magnets on the motors are super strong and come in handy for all sorts of things.

I also carry a leatherman wave for emergencies (hooks) and a hook knife.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

Am I reading these stats right - only 15% of us take a VHF and 16% a cell phone.

Even if you assume no double ups, that leaves 69% of yak fishers who take neither?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 am

MikeAqua wrote:Am I reading these stats right - only 15% of us take a VHF and 16% a cell phone.

Even if you assume no double ups, that leaves 69% of yak fishers who take neither?
According to my maths, those percentage figures are based on the total number of votes accross all items and are not based on the number of members that have voted.

To work out the percentage who carry each of the said items we would need the number of contributors who voted in this poll. Mental, Moderators, can you help with the number of participating voters so we can work out the actual percentage carry for each item?
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Yea limitless your right, the percentages are based on total votes adding up to 100% not a percentage of voters.
Unfortunatly this stat is going to have to wait for mental to get back from holiday. ;)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:00 am

A total of 49 people have voted in this poll...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am

Mental wrote:A total of 49 people have voted in this poll...

So that would mean that there is a good percentage that carry 2 forms of communication if you take into consideration VHF, PLB and Cell phone - Totaling 86 votes? :rock: :y:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Mental
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Of 49 people:

7 carry only a VHF
9 carry only a cellphone
33 carry both a VHF and a cellphone
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

CoastalStan
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:47 pm

So only one of the voters so far carries no communication device.

Nakiman

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:24 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:
Rusty wrote:Help needed.

Were is the best place to go to get kitted out with all the required saftey gear.
After going through the list in the latest poll i have not got alot of these things.(i do not even know what some of these things are used for.)

who is the best person to talk to as i just want to buy the best i can get (not worth taking shortcuts when it comes to saftey and life)

while Rusty's above question is being answered... how about a picture of your loaded kayak. Limitless/HLD or any of the other more seasoned fisho paddlers - how about a clear picture showing how you store these items. I mention Limitless for selfish reasons as we paddle the same monster. I dont take half this gear and struggle to understand how the hell you carry it all????? Add a pic of your loaded PFD aswell if possible cos I know some guys really load them up to the brink.
Right here we go

In the top large pocket I have an emergency beacon/torch, a whistle and a tether/throw line all attached to a buckle inside the pocket. Also in that pocket I store my emergency poncho, a part roll of tape, an emergency blanket and some reflecting foil. (Just thinking I should carry a needle and thread for stitching up cuts)
In the bottom large pocket I have my GPS. This use to hang around my neck for navigation but now I have the combo unit it stays in my pocket as a location device/compass i.e. it has our launch spots on it. I also carry food bars and some pre rigged tackle in that pocket.
My VHF and my cell phone hang around my neck in dry bags. they are tucked down the front of my PFD when not in use.
On one side of my vest I have a dedicated knife and a pouch on the other side where I sometimes carry a spare :lol:
In the top well I have spare fishing tackle, side cutters, camera and a lighter.
In the bottom well I carry another fold up wind break :lol: , plasters, spare batteries, another roll of tape :lol: a small drift anchor,a few other bits and pieces (spare fuses et and a set of scales in case I miss my weight watches meeting :lol:
Note that the well lids are tied on with nylon.
Water is in the chillie bin or the middle well
I carry an anchor under the hinged lid and a spare anchor :lol: in the front well.
Sometimes I carry fish :rofl:

On longer missions I carry a few spares :lol: torches, head lamps extra food.
Attachments
Emergency items.jpg
Last edited by Nakiman on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Mental
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Some you guys carry an impressive amount of gear :y: I only carry a vhf and cellphone . :$

Mental
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Days like this are why I carry so much gear > http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=1809
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Mental
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Here's my grab bag and it's contents:

The bag is a small 5 Litre dry bag, and the contents are:

"Survival" tool
Energy Gel
Emergency Blanket
Cold Pack
Compass
Divers Sausage
Glow Sticks
Hot Pack
Fire Lighter
Elastic Bandage
Mirror (hard disc platter)
Smoke Flare
First Aid Kit
Plastic Poncho
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Nakiman

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:42 pm

That's a well stocked grab bag - what would be the physical size that it would fold up to

Mental
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 pm

About the size of a 2L milk bottle, the flare is the biggest thing.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

in addition to the list
hydration pack
food in the form of energy bars
paddle float
spare split paddle
head lamp
built in floatation
glowsticks
cutter/ plier combo for removing hooks from fingers (have used in anger)
anchor
SOF 6mt kayak

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Just starting out at the moment, so sweet FA. Furtherest out has been Elizabeth Reef, so not far out. "Tow Rope" would be my anchor rope. My dive knife is always on my leg, and I wear a full 5mm Wetsuit. Have food & water. Could make a bailer out of aof 2l milk botlles I have freewater ice in, but with a sit on there isn't much need for a bailer. Does my 20l contain I use as a dive float count? :wasntme: Have lost my cellphone to my last so called waterproof container, so no keen on kill another one. So yes I need ta get more safely gear.
Last edited by Fish'N'Snork on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

I've never bothered with the cellphone, as there is never any coverage where I fish, and that often includes the carpark (for coverage, not fishing :P ).
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

• Information