Self Rescues - Are You Up To It?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

When was the last time you practiced a self rescue?

In the Last Month
17%
In the Last Two Months
14%
In the Last 6 Months
9%
In the Last Year
9%
More Than a Year Ago
9%
Err... I Should really learn how to do it
41%

Total votes: 95
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm

I know SoTs are commonly touted as "Just climb back on" but rescues are an often overlooked skill, frequently done once or twice with a bare yak in a pool or nice calm water then shelved as an 'I can do this'.
A few guys on here can attest to the reality of the situation, particularly when choppy/cold/unexpected or just due to all that hardware you've happily been bolting on 8)

I am genuinely interested in the skill level out in Tupperware-land, so it's conscience time folks.
Hopefully also a prod to those who haven't yet been taught the right way to seek enlightenment....as well as get a few others to get wet in the breakers to refresh those memories

This is self rescues only - assisted rescue is a different bag of sprats.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:35 pm

When I upgraded to the Profish I was told that my level of awesomeness would increase, I would certainly become a greater fisherman and would never ever fall out... I mean "Err... I Should really learn how to do it". :n:

HLD - you gonna post a Youtube clip showing us how you do it?

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:02 pm

:$ Guess which one I had to pick. We really should organise some self-rescue practice days - especially in shitty weather. We seem to be able to manage organising trips to remote places to fish ...
Ironically, I have performed an assisted rescue ! Went sea kayaking around the Abel Tasman track (laughing at the land bound plodders) years ago, and had to help my mate back into his yak in strong wind and high chop (gust of wind + big wave = swim). The only instruction we got from the guys who hired us the yaks was a 30 second "do this if you fall out". No practice runs. We stayed calm, did as instructed, and it worked like a charm. Lucky really - my mate was pretty cold (bordering on hypothermia) by the time we landed at the campsite, .
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Personally i have practiced twice,, once at Corromandel , and once at White Island ..
I found that turtling in 150 mtrs with a bleeding fish hanging with you under the yak a really good incentive to get back on the Yak quickly!! :lol: :lol: But practicing out side of this in a controlled environment sounds a very novel idea.. :y: :y: :beer: :beer:

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:39 pm

I saw your 'practice' at white - seemed like an awful long time before you surfaced, though that was probably just subjective time owing to the huge fish I'd just seen you wrestling with!
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

DJ

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 pm

TwoSpoons wrote:I saw your 'practice' at white - seemed like an awful long time before you surfaced, though that was probably just subjective time owing to the huge fish I'd just seen you wrestling with!
Mate ,, :rofl: must admit he looked bigger when we were eyeball to eyeball!!! :o :o

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Seem to remember this being a topic of discussion a few months back when I first came on board.....HLD is right its a skill we should all know and be able to do comfortably...I "learnt" to get back on in the calmness of Mission Bay with an instructor from Fergs Kayaks....theory was pretty good and it all sounds easy...until you have to do it....In all honesty, I was absolutely buggered after the first attempt, and couldnt get back in the second time when I attempted a "turtle" and was trying to use the paddle float.
Since then I've made a "saddle or sling" but to date I havent had a go with it at all.....
So, I guess that I'm in the majority of people that havent done it in real conditions !....

Maybe we should organise a couple of locations around the country after Christmas and try and get together in "groups" to have a bit of practise......

I'm prepared to try and organise a time (will take some guidance on venues) and am happy to chuck my portable BBQ in the truck for a fry up afterwards !!

Whats the collective thoughts ?
Hainesy 8)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:36 pm

3 practice sessions in 14 months with 2 different yaks.
2 of 3 times in surf, the rest on erlatively calm water (about 4 metres deep)
I found it easy in an unrigged yak but could imagine it would be far more difficult fully rigged in cold and undesirable conditions with a bit of panic in the mix.

I guess a practice in controlled environment is better than nothing at all.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:47 pm

I made the conscious effort to go back to the pool to practise before White Island as I honestly expected to turtle while there.

I looked a bit funny, as I was dressed up in all my gear including pdf as most of the others there were noobies and I have to admit, it is easier to sort when you arn't getting tangled up in a PDF and spray deck.....but that is not reality.

Self and assisted rescues were okay....

Rolling the beachcomber still has a ways to go....

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Some excellent comments and thoughts coming through :y:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Self what? I never go deeper than where I can touch the bottom and always take my floaties
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Great initiative and thought provoker for safety once again HLD - :y: Yeah as a fellow concerned rescue worker I frequently see 'Worse case scenarios" and have had friends and acquaintances relate near miss incidents relating to turtling from Kayaks. This inevitably dampens their enthusiasm and I suspect is why alot of gear is subsequently disused and or sold .
Short of making people pay to do courses I feel the retailers should have more obligation to provide proper training when marketing their craft and equipment as anyone can wander in to buy roof racks or such then get the sales pitch .
Meanwhile maybe we should organise some training sessions somewhere central similar to what the Auckland Canoe club do at Okahu bay. Unfortunately under the guise of safety standards and culpability the regulators have looked after their Business mates once again and stymied the good old KIWI-give it a go and help your mates, by over regulating .
The rich brigade ,say -Yachties and marina Gin Palace officionados are also squeezing small craft owners out of Okahu Bay over the last few years ,want to banish kayaks to the shallows in the old Tamaki estuary pooh ponds .They and their Councillor mates are currently preparing to put this to fruition -Maybe a flotilla protest would show them the popularity simple people powered craft have :!:
Last edited by paddlesnap on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clickngofar
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: FishnDive

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Just to expand on this a bit - is it common practise to use a self tether to keep your yak from drifting away when one does a terrapin?

DJ

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:38 pm

clickngofar wrote:Just to expand on this a bit - is it common practise to use a self tether to keep your yak from drifting away when one does a terrapin?
Myself , no ,, but i havnt yet found the Yak wanting to get away, Im fairly quick at grabbing it ..

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 pm

clickngofar wrote:Just to expand on this a bit - is it common practise to use a self tether to keep your yak from drifting away when one does a terrapin?
Yes, I do..use about 6 m of bungy rubber clipped to my PFD....have to remember to disconnect before comeing in through the surf so if turtled the yak doesnt drag you around in the white water
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:08 am

Im the same as wktoyakka, as I was there practising with him... But I will say that Bryce makes it look far easier than I do.. But I can get my fat ass in multiple times in one session in the surf.. It was the first thing I did when I got my Profish.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:59 am

I only clip on if windy, rough, during night operations or when under sail

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:09 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
I only clip on if windy, rough, during night operations or when under sail
And to add to the comments on tethers, I strongly recommend rigging them in a mannor similar to those suggested in swift water rescue guidelines (white water paddling) i.e. the attachment to the paddlers PFD is to a point mid back in such a way the attachment cannot slide to the sides or front, and uses a belt and release buckle without restriction so the attachment may be dumped in an emergency (in our application the kayak is about to tow you into a danger zone). The concept is to turn the paddler face up and plane them to the surface and (hopefully) allow them to breath. I know this sounds overkill to many kayak anglers, but I have tried tethers in the surf to mimic someone forgetting to unclip (very easy to do if you're stressing about the big waves in front of you) and all I can say is I was EXTREMELY grateful I'm an active freediver with excellent breath-hold. Unless the tether was mid back I spent a lot of time face down and unable to get a gulp of air! Yes, this is worst case senario, but isn't that when tethers may be important? And no, I definitely DO NOT recommend using tethers in the surf, but the system used must be able to cope if the paddler forgets to disconnect.

I also strongly suggest the attachment to the kayak be at the stern and not behind the seat. This is to minimise the risk of a rolling kayak trapping you by wrapping/winding up the tether and you along with it. Again, this suggestion has come about through taking the time to try it in relatively controlled circumstances with a support and rescue crew standing by.

While I'm standing on my soap box :$ make sure some of the re-entry practice sessions include tethered rods (minus reels to save maintenance) and running rigs with attached anchors or drogues. These complicate procedings as I demonstrated in pool sessions at the Hutchwilco Boat Show this year, and how a little organisation of equipment and rod leashes etc can make real life re-entries far easier and less stressful.

Stephen Tapp
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Harry
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 am

Limitless wrote:
While I'm standing on my soap box :$ make sure some of the re-entry practice sessions include tethered rods (minus reels to save maintenance) and running rigs with attached anchors or drogues. These complicate procedings as I demonstrated in pool sessions at the Hutchwilco Boat Show this year, and how a little organisation of equipment and rod leashes etc can make real life re-entries far easier and less stressful.

Stephen Tapp
I will put my hand up to the category of having practiced once or twice no gear and ideal conditions. What really scares me :swear: when out is the rod tethers and drogue line getting wrapped around my legs. When I pick up and move spots I will often dump the drogue on my lap or just tuck in beside the seat. I have never turtled, he says touching his head, but I would image it is not just a fall over but a rolling action. I do carry a blunt tip knife on my PFD, but not sure how I would manage cutting line if I was arse up and being bumped around :sweat:

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:49 am

The big thing is confidence.

Try this (now the waters getting warmer):

Sit on your yak in the shallows, time how long you can hold your breath (normal breath, no hyperventilation)
Now flip the yak, take another breath and duck under into the cockpit area - time it.

You'll notice you'll more than likely have a much shorter time.
Anxiety causes the brain to burn more O2, thus depleting reserves quicker.

If you turtle, the key is to remain calm and systematically sort out any entanglements - The divers will know what I'm on about here... It's very common to hear inexperienced snorkellers chuffing away like a steam train for the first few seconds before they relax and the breathing slows.

Confidence comes with practice.
Real confidence comes with practicing in situations you are unlikely to experience - "Train at a level 10x harder than you will use" as we say in SAR.

Limitless' comment about attaching the tether to the stern is good as it allows you to work either side, however consideration must be given to any rods positioned behind you which might become entangled in the tether. It's all down to getting out there with a mate, trying it and seeing what works for you.

And don't forget the bottomline - No bling is worth your life, if it's in your way in a genuine emergency, cut it away.

• Information