Fishing alone?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Fishing Alone?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Always fish alone
19%
Often fish alone
64%
Never fish alone
17%

Total votes: 47
brenthb1
Kayak Make: ocean

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi guys, due to the nature of my job and the windy conditions we have in Hawkes Bay I tend to get out fishing on quickly (but carefully) planned trips, I check the weather on marineweather.com and if it's good I put my gear on the ute and I go. This poses the issue of usually going out by myself. So I was wondering, how many people go out alone on a regular basis?

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:14 pm

I've fished solo 4 times in 79 outings.
Prefer a buddy but will fish alone but nearer a coastline and in better conditions
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Pretty much all the time.

I think it's good as you have to take responsibility for your own safety, as long as you have at a minimum of a VHF and a detailed TR and adjust your safety margins accordingly, there's no reason why not.

(I prefer to use Nowcasting for my weather as it gives me a realtime reading for stations in my area as well as the forecast)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Added the Poll, thanks for the question :y:

I don't have an issue fishing alone (but make sure someone knows where I am, when I expect to be back, carry two means of comms, have an EPIRB, flares etc) and I used to fish alone nearly all the time until I started this website now I'm always able to fish a fishing buddy or two to fish with :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Have fished FAR more lone than with people. Only just starting to fish with people thanks to meeting up with forum guys.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Must admit that more times than not it has been more alone. :)
I am always be keen for others to join me but not going out with anyone doesnt really bother me.
Shift work can be unsociable sometimes |(
I love the sport and i dont go out if its gonna be unsafe. 8)
Someone always knows where i am heading
and eta. :!:
I always let people know when i actually get off the water. :y:

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Often alone, as I prefer weekday fishing bit less traffic about.

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Unless Vicki comes along - always alone.

Vicki says its because I'm an utter arse and no one else could stand being downwind of me but I think shes kidding.....

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 pm

I often fish alone. More down to being realy unorganised and not always having enough brownie points at home to be able to go as often as I would like. My oldest boy will be old enough to paddle his own in a few years so that will change. This forum is great for lessening the chance of having to paddle alone.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Everytime I have been out it has been with someone... I enjoy the social side just as much as the fishing

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Yup, what rayh said about shift work it has it's pros & cons.
Funnily enough now want to share experience with others but get nervous about responsibility of inexperienced ,and have been on enough training of school trips and novice seakayakers to know this is a biggy :doh:
So the lone perfection of the fishing arts suits at present but as weather improves will get daughters boyfriend and others who are genuinely interested out into it :y:
The extended koha of kai moana to friends & family is getting a few interested in my obvious success as well--

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 pm

My first year of yak fishing i was a one man wolf pack !
The last couple of years i guess its been 80% fishing with others and 20% fishing alone .
If your a nubee id recommend you buddy up with someone or tag along to one of the forum group trips
for safty and also picking up handy tips to do with yak fishing .

I had some very '' interesting '' trips in my first year yaking alone learning the ropes . :x

Harry
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:31 pm

More often than not will fish alone, but as has been said before do all the safety checks including making sure about the weather, having a trip report and in my opinion equally importantly sticking to it.

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 am

Same as KK realy,
I used to always fish alone, now tend to be able to find someone who wants to tag along... ;)
I do still take out my sea kayaks alone all the time, as seem to love the peace and freedom that it offers.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:12 am

In the past I've often fished alone, and often still do when on one of my offshore marathons. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, this is OK provided you've the paddle skill/fitness, have all the appropriate safety grear, and have filed a TR and regularly update it using VHF and/or mobile. The main reason for "solo-ing" these is has been a lack of willing paddle fit buddies.

Recently for inshore missions I'm rarely paddling alone. There are heaps of guys out there looking to buddy up, even mid week. I've had only two solo inshore paddles this year.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:30 am

Pretty much always, but carry a VHF and w/proof cell phone and do intention sheets and stay in contact with home everyhour by phone if I can.

A large proportion of my fishing is close to other water users, but I do fish some isolated spots alone.

If I have some sort of medical emergency I guess I'm screwed, but I have no elevated risk that I know of and anything else I can pretty much handle till help arrives.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:04 am

I usually fish alone simply because of the fact that I work shift work. The whole reason I bought a kayak was so that I could go out fishing when everyone else is at work.

I occasionally catch up with other yak fishers that I know when I am lucky enough to have a weekend off and do enjoy the company.
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Jett
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Pretty surprised to hear that the majority does fish alone, I always fish with a buddy, miss's would kill me if i didnt.
http://www.snapclick.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazing Studio Quality Photo Booth, Instant Print & Facebook Upload.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Mostly alone. And always acutely aware that I'm alone - to the point that I will change locations (and txt the wife) if my planned location looks a bit dodgy. Some of the stuff we went out in as a group in the Coromandel comps last year would probably have kept me ashore if by myself.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Yeah, I'm far more comfortable going out further with others around.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information