Poll of the Week - Licence?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Salt Water Licence?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 am

Yes I would support a licence system of some description
29%
No I do not think we need a licence system at all
71%

Total votes: 31
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 am

Here a bit of a hot topic at the moment, should we require that everyone who goes fishing have a licence?

We have licences for freshwater already but not salt water fishing, probably not a straight yes or no poll so we'll have;

Yes I would support a licence system of some description

No I do not think we need a licence system at all

And add your thoughts as comments in the thread, i.e. how many dollars you think is fair, what you should need to do to get one, how long should it last, do you need to take a test, where should the money go, etc etc
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:07 am

Yes if and only if funds were used for: -

A representative body with elected regional and national boards and a mandate to represent recreational fishers
More fisheries officers and better enforcement for coastal fisheries
Research e.g. stock assessements and environmental factors impacting coastal fisheries
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:15 am

I dont mind the freshwater ones, cause I dont do much of that, but HELL NO to salt water (voted no)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am

I would support a licence system if;

Costs were reasonable - $20-30 per year
The money is spent on education
A requirement of getting a licence is a scratch and win type qualification of which all the questions are about legal fish sizes and limits - so you can't have the guy who is pulled up saying he didn't know the sizes/limits
One licence for the whole county no region licences
Simple no licence instant $150 fine system
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

sk8e8

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 am

"I dont know" is already not a valid excuse if caught with under sized etc. IMO, its not a major for guys who go fishing all the time, but it ends up being a pain in the ass for those more casual (like me and fresh water - just another pain).
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 am

I voted no as i think a license system would be PITA for the casual fisher. I suspect also that any fees would be swallowed up in administration costs, ergo no benefit to the fishery. Also those who are currently raping the sea would continue to do so regardless, while the rest of us pay to play by the rules.

In short I don't see a license system as being beneficial. If the objective is to clamp down on those breaking the rules, then I feel the answer is better education + harsher enforcement (i.e. infringement fines pay for the education program).
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 am

Interesting topic :clap:

I would support it, but like those of you already, Only if profits were being used for education ect.
And it would depend on how it was enforced.
The reality is it would be nearly impossible to enforce consistantly due to simple geography, so I think it would end up being one of those things where those people who supported them would be people who already understood limits and catch sizes, and those that didnt understand wouldnt worry about getting a licence, and would risk it.
Just watch people getting paua ect on coastwatch :devil:
So I guess it wouwould realy end up being more of a voluntary thing, where you knew that you were supporting a good cause, and that money would help to educate those who just dont understand.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sk8e8

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 am

Just had a thought... IF you setup a licence, make it so you can still fish un-licenced, but 1/2 the catch limits. EG 5 snaps instead of 9 or something.

Still dont like it...

Yamaha FXHO

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I dont think I would support a license... fishing to me is one of my only freedoms left... I feel its freedom because to me it feels like Im free with no rules.. The legal size rules will never bother me because all my fish that I keep will be well over that size and catch limits are the same... i dont need that many fish...So I can get out there and do what I want... Its one of the last things left that doesnt cost me to participate in...A sport with no fees, No team is just right for me.

paul77
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt, cobra marauder

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

I do not support a licence of any kind - free , cheap or otherwise .
Freshwater licence i understand, as a lot of fish are stocked and someone has to pay for it , but the amount of regulation creeping into every day life is ridiculous , there are already laws in place about size and numbers .
its like not being able to get decent cold and flu tablets off the shelf, let the government enforce the laws already in place before they start mucking about with my weekends .
Paul

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I agree with you paul.... :clap:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Hear hear , absolutely crazy even contemplating it , you'd be playing into legislators hands . the big boys already tout recreational fishers as the equivalent of seals that they'd get rid of too so no competition to them pillaging whats left after their dispensations to take undersized stock that we arn't and more importantly WOULDN'T take!!!

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Interesting points of view guys, whilst I'm a supporter (as long as it's cheap and money is used in the right ways) I can see that it would be a total nightmare to administrate and yep people who don't want to won't get one, hey we have driving licences but people still drive without one...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

brenthb1
Kayak Make: ocean

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:33 am

No because who would you ge to enforce the licencing? Honouring fisheries officers are already as crooked as they get, if you belong to certain groups or family then you can get away with raping the ocean. Around our parts the honouring officers are selected from Marae and I have seen with my own eyes boot loads of paua driving off the beach with a wave from the officer who then goes and hassles some poor guy and his kids over a small trevally. There would never be enough paid ones to patrol the whole coast so illegal fishers would just go and rape the hell out of isolated areas.

As for where they money would go..... straight into the greater government budget.

If anyone feels that strongly about it then put your money into a lobby group or something but don't waste it on bureaucrats.

YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 am

I say no. :n: What ever higher being out there gave us the fish so why should we get charged to catch them? Next we will have to get a license for the air we breathe....

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I am very strongly in the NO voters party, as with all these things a $20 annual fee soon become several hundred dollars and who knows what it will be when our kids / grandkids will require them $1500 - $2000 per year???. The fees generated would be chewed up in worthless ways by idiotic bureaucrats not knowing anything about the sport.
Why should we subsidise the administrate costs to police those who do not educate themselves on what is allowed and what is not, it is certainly not through the lack of information available ,everyone has access to this it is no secret.

Agreeing to pay a license fee would just be another revenue generating exercise and would have absolutely no effect on recidivist offenders, I am guessing here but I would of thought the majority of anglers are well aware of the general rules and regs so why introduce an absolute minefield of legislation and penalize the majority because of what the minority do?

Isn’t The Ministry of Fisheries a government dept which is funded by us the tax payer? And some of you suggest we pay more?? Don’t we have a GST rise coming soon? Uurmmm I am worried!

We are kiwis, this is a privilege we have and let’s keep it the way, perhaps the system could improve but why at our expense.

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 pm

I agree with the no's on this one. If the rules and reg's were policed fairly, and fines generated went back into the improvement of policing fisheries would there be a need? Instead we look at a knee jerk reaction and fine the easy targets (as that is all a license fee would be). The only people who would buy a license are the honest ones who stick to the rules and take over the legal sized fish in the first place.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 pm

No way , nada , never ever would i pay for a license , even if it was law . !
You could never police it anyway and id be surprised if you got over 5 % of fisherman agreeing to it .
Its my god given right to go catch a feed for my family end of story !!!

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 am

There is a saying that goes " Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime", there are those out there that need to fish for a meal, they wont have the money for a license but they still need a feed.
I say no to a license for salt water fishing. We have more coast line than the USA how are they going to police it????
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

• Information