Poll of the Week - Winter Fishing?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Fishing sessions in the Winter?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Winter don't slow me down mate
58%
I'm down to something like half the sessions
42%
Fishing in winter you're kidding right?
No votes

Total votes: 31
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 pm

So winter is well and truly here but will it slow your fishing down? We aren't talking how successful you are in winter (feel free to add that as a comment) but does winter cut back on how many trips on to the water you take?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:14 am

I didnt have any decent winter gear last year, But now I have decent clothing I find it fine... I wouldnt want to turtle though :lol:

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 am

Can only go out on weekends now, over summer was going out after work when the tide was right too just in the puhurihuri inlet. Enough fish there during summer to get a nice feed :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Steve_M
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4850

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 am

I guess the amount of time I get out over winter naturally decreases a little when the weather's bad and becomes a safety issue (just as I wouldn't go out over summer either if the conditions were that bad). Other than that - try and stop me! ;)
Viking Predator Profish
ZMT5850

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:50 am

I love winter fishing oily calm days no sea breeze. I must admit to been a bit soft and going out on sunup but still usually bring home a feed. The new kayak specific clothing is awesome and warm. The BOP climate is pretty good and been able to go on a good midweek day helps.

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am

Winter definatly hasn't slowded me down in the past, intact I normally get out more in winter as windsurf on fine days in summer too.
But this year I'm fishin slot less through winter, don't think it cause it's winter as such, but definatly less water time than this time last year. ;(

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

I am still very keen over winter as it is a good time of year to chase the big ones :y: The only restriction is the weather which severely limits days on the water.

Must admit though, those pre dawn launches in summer don't happen this time of year :worried:
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Hardly get out at all these days, though I'm hoping to go this weekend. Winter is gurnard time in the Manukau :clap:
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Still get out in the winter as much as the summer, probably got more time actually :?:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I love winter fishing, less people and bigger fish.
Get one of those big fat winter highs that just sits over us, and I'm out there for first light every chance I can. The frost has usually gone from the yak by the time I get to the coast ]:)

I find that as long as you keep the routine up (and obviously dress for the occasion), it's not a problem.
However, put it off for about three mornings in a row and it's really hard to get going again :lol:

Glad no-one has ticked the "No Way!" box yet :rock:
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YakDr
Kayak Model: Viking Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4103

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:26 pm

I vaguely remember these "big fat winter highs" from last winter but it just seems to be low after low after low so far this winter. I would love to get out if I could line all commitments up with the weather. Certainly the cold doesn't put me off - love those crisp clear mornings and stunning days.
Might have to come poaching up BOP way sometime shortly I think :devil:

yaking4snaps
Kayak Model: Tempo

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm

I still get out once a week winter or summer, when ever there is a good break in the surf. I dont have any winter gear at all, just a polyester (I think its called, nylon?) jacket and pants.. When I wake up where I live its freazing cold, once I get to the beach I find it to be reasonably warm. The one day I did dress up, within 5mins of padling I was sweating and wanted to loose a layer.

Pick nice days and save the turtle actions for the return and its doesnt get that cold :y:

Like piwi said, have a sleep in and use the office hours method.. We always catch a good feed on late starts

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Steve_M wrote:I guess the amount of time I get out over winter naturally decreases a little when the weather's bad and becomes a safety issue (just as I wouldn't go out over summer either if the conditions were that bad). Other than that - try and stop me! ;)
Same goes here , its only when the weather doesnt allow me to go fishing , which has been a fair bit latley :headbang:

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 pm

I love winter fishing. :y: Less boats about, the sun isn't so fierce, and still plenty of fish. Layer up on clothes, change the fishn tactics abit, and get into it.

chip'n
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMS9238

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 pm

As long as I can keep my feet warm it's all good, just a shame had so much work on during the week then the weekend weather turns to custard.

ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Glad no one has ticked that third option (yet)! The fish are sneakier and bigger in winter which makes it more of a challenge, plus some cracker days out there. Love winter fishin!
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

• Information