Spare Paddle..?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Do you carry a spare paddle with you?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes - on the deck of my kayak
7%
Yes - in the hull of my kayak
11%
No - not enough room in my kayak
No votes
No - not enough room on the deck of my kayak
4%
No - I don't own a spare paddle
32%
No - I simply don't see the need
11%
No - I don't want to carry one even though I know I probably should
18%
Sometimes - I carry a spare paddle but not al the time
18%

Total votes: 56
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:53 am

I see we've got quite a few people that have said they don't own a spare paddle, is this through choice or simply the expense of buying a second paddle?

If there is enough interest I can probably put something together through work, we've got some two piece, 220cm, plastic blade with alloy shaft paddle - normally retail for $60+ but as a bit of a special KFNZ support thing could do them at $30+P&P..?
paddle.png
paddle.png (22.7 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:02 am

I dont need one, BUT this sounds like a great deal !!!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:03 am

Mental wrote:...If there is enough interest I can probably put something together through work, we've got some two piece, 220cm, plastic blade with alloy shaft paddle - normally retail for $60+ but as a bit of a special KFNZ support thing could do them at $30+P&P..?
That's a good deal Mental :y: :y: :y:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

YakDr
Kayak Model: Viking Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4103

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:27 pm

Since getting my Reload ~20 months ago (and a fibreglass split shaft with it) I have always carried it with me as a spare. I use a one piece fibreglass as my main paddle for all my surf beach launches and a two piece carbon for sheltered launches and hence my long offshore paddles. It is not uncommon for me to be paddling solo in some pretty lonely places and not see another human being all day. On the reload it is easy to store them under the bungies on the bow which is fine for easy sheltered launches but isn't perfect in a surf launch. I have had to return to the beach after getting through the surf to retrieve the two piece which has been sucked off the deck by the waves. As an aside though it has never even come close to being sucked off in breaking swell offshore. Having them within reach means it is an easy quick shuffle forward in the cockpit to grab them if needed.
As others have said it is all about risk calculation/mitigation. No I don't expect to break a paddle but I would be highly embarrassed requiring help offshore for something as "simple" as a broken paddle. Boaties think I am nuts going where I go anyway without giving them more reason to question my sanity.

Kayakmaker
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Prowler

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm

I have snapped a high end glass blade paddle at the shoulder, while paddling agressively with the reel jammed between my knees chasing down a run away snapper in shallow water.

Got the snapper and paddled home 4km with one end of the paddle. Funny thing is that I was only .5kph slower than my normal paddle speed paddling canoe style.

I now carry a 2 piece white water paddle in my front hatch. it jams nicely under the foot wells. Never used it since, but came close in a Taranaki classic.

I was anchored in strong current and unhooked my paddle leash to sort out a tangle. I lost the paddle overboard but it disappeared faster than I could hand paddle. I had the spare upfront but called my Buddy on the radio and he bought back, but not without comment.

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:24 pm

In my old 440 I would stow a spare under the clear plastic cover up front but only on bigger missions but now with the reload I always have a spare inside the hull just incase shit goes south.

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:31 pm

I keep a spare 2-piece propelz carbon in the front hatch of my reload, slides down under the footwells. Have never needed it, but figure it can stay there "just in case". Has been in there for almost a year now.
Just for shits and giggles I paddled waka style with half a paddle one day, and could still keep a steady pace of about 6.5km/h so wouldn't be too worried if it was too rough to open the front hatch and had a breakage.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 pm

I am keen for a $30 split shaft paddle, all I have seen are 150+

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Ruff as Gutts wrote:I am keen for a $30 split shaft paddle, all I have seen are 150+
Mean price all right

Raptor
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: Raptor ZMQ2349

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:43 am

Yep
Last year I broke a two piece carbon paddle at the joint close to Rangi and had to paddle back to Mission Bay with one half. I did have a spare but that day had left it in the car as I wasn't going far.
The worst part was trying to keep the hands away from the shards of carbon and glass sticking out of the end as I paddled in a hurry across the shipping lanes on a very busy day. Failed on that one too so the cuts and itching in the hands kept reminding me of my stupidity for the next few days.
I keep an old spare two piece inside the front hatch of the reload.
Raptor ZMQ2349

Mad keen kayaker... or perhaps just mad.
- Viking Profish Reload (the rock proof fishing boat)
- Southern Skua (the distance cruiser)
- Squall (Its hers)
- Breaksea Double (doin it together)

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:15 am

every time i go out loosing my paddle is always on my mind, forgot the leash the last time and was stressing out the whole day lucky i only managed to lose my sunglasses :swear: though hat safely recovered.

i know it would be very unlikely for me to need a second paddle but there is always that chance plus the mates i go with are not the smartest sometimes, the biggest hurdle for me would be the cost but could probably manage thirty bucks.
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi Mental

That sounds a great deal... how much would p&p be to hawke's bay? Cheers

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:41 am

:geek: I can't help myself, I like data too much :geek:

There's some interesting information in this poll based on the 53 votes and the comments that have been made:

1. 34% of those of us who participated in the poll carry a spare paddle at least some of the time

2. 32% is the highest single score - these paddlers don't own a spare paddle

3. Five of the posts amongst the comments from members indicated either personal experience with a broken paddle, or directly witnessing a broken paddle on the water. Assuming everyone who commented also voted, that's 9.4% of survey participants! In reality this data is most likely skewed high because only those with an interest will have participated (and statistically this is a tiny sample), BUT this does indicate that paddling incidents involving damaged or broken paddles are far more common than some might believe.

Carrying a spare paddle is a personal choice so is a decision we each will need to make for ourselves. There is definitely a measurable risk of paddle failure on the water though, so I'm happy to go on record saying it's a practice I strongly recommend.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:47 am

[quote="Limitless2. 32% is the highest single score - these paddlers don't own a spare paddle [/quote]

Collectively and amounts to the same thing is the highest score >>>

No - not enough room on the deck of my kayak 4% 4% [ 2 ]
No - I don't own a spare paddle 31% 31% [ 17 ]
No - I simply don't see the need 11% 11% [ 6 ]
No - I don't want to carry one even though I know I probably should 19% 19% [ 10 ]

and yep 9.4% would be very skewed one would think...

Snakebite1969
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Tandem Island

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 pm

1. Have you ever actively thought about carrying a spare paddle on board your kayak? Yes

2. Do you think it's it's a good idea to carry a spare paddle? Yes

3. Would you carry a spare paddle? Yes - Carry a spare paddle inside the Kayak hull. Since it is a Hobie Island, it is possible to open the front hatch a retrieve the paddle. On long off shore missions, I also put a second Mirage Peddle Drive inside the front hatch.

I don’t want the embarrassment of having to ask for help since I didn’t go to sea fully prepared to handle any situation.

• Information