Poll: Competition Format?

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Fishing Competitions Format

Poll ended at Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Max Length Limit
37%
No Length Limit
52%
Other
11%

Total votes: 27
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Had this come through from one of the forum users:
any chance of putting up a poll in regards to the fishing format that Rob used in the weekend, just interested in regards to who would prefer this or just go the biggest fish gets the prize?
For those that did not attend the Rob Fort meetup at Papa Aroha last weekend, the comp Rob ran used a slot system where only Snapper between two size limits were allowed to be weighed - Rob used 60cm as the upper limit (sorry I can't remember the lower limit) - the poll option for this is called "Max Length Limit"

The other way is the one usually used by fishing comps of simply the heaviest fish wins - poll option os called "No Length Limit".

I've also added a third poll option of "Other" - if this is your choice post up your preferred method for running fishing comps :y:

Looking forward to hearing peoples comments and 2c's worth on this one :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:58 pm

That's Joe dennehys format for his soft bait champs comp. People still kill the bigger fish they catch in those as well as what they weigh. It also still kills fish and normally the weigh is for more than 1 of each species.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:12 pm

MadMike wrote:That's Joe dennehys format for his soft bait champs comp. People still kill the bigger fish they catch in those as well as what they weigh. It also still kills fish and normally the weigh is for more than 1 of each species.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk
Yep x2 couldnt agree more Chief with your comments, plus in comps i love chaseing trophy fish for pics e.t.c and some of us sponsered fullas our sponsors love it when we have landed some big fish off our toothpiicks :lol:...

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

First time I'd fished a comp like that and thought it was quite interesting !..Think it evens the field out more...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MadMike

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Hainesy wrote:First time I'd fished a comp like that and thought it was quite interesting !..Think it evens the field out more...
That it certainly does. it becomes more about catching pannies :P
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

MadMike wrote:
Hainesy wrote:First time I'd fished a comp like that and thought it was quite interesting !..Think it evens the field out more...
That it certainly does. it becomes more about catching pannies :P
Pannies maybe not...but if one of the objectives is to encourage more people to compete 'cos they believe they might have a chance in any given comp, then thats got to be good...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm

So the enjoyment is gonna be catching pannies for some of us travelling 8 hrs + for comps.. and letting the trophy fish realeased in some cases or putting them in our bins as well!
Last edited by YakFisho Snapps on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I personally don't like it, obviously each to their own but seems pointless to me.
What's fun about catching pannies for competition? Pannies are for dinner not glory, and don't give me that bullshit that you don't try in a competition situation to catch a "trophy" or "glory" fish.

Show me anyone who currently enters the comps and says they don't try to catch a big fish, and I'll show you a liar.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Mental
Site Admin

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 pm

I like the slot method but the difference between Rob and Joe's formats is that Joe uses length NOT weight AND it's a consistency based system where you can measure six fish up to 600mm each - so the winner is the angler who can repeat the catch and not just one lucky fish... Using a slot system for just one fish is still only rewarding the "lucky" angler...

I'd like to see a system similar to Joe's that rewards the "best" angler based on his or her ability to catch a range of fish not just one big fish from one specie. Sort of like this:

The winner is the angler who catches the total longest length of Snapper (x3) Kahawai (x2) Gurnard (x2) Kingfish (x1) John Dory (x1)

So the angler is challenged to show their skill across all the species if they want to win
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Pointloader

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Unless all including Kingfish size is also slotted, even that format has a major failing. One big king for some "lucky" angler with some mediocre snapper could easily make the winning difference between a good angler and a lucky one
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Mental
Site Admin

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Pointloader wrote:Unless all including Kingfish size is also slotted, even that format has a major failing. One big king for some "lucky" angler with some mediocre snapper could easily make the winning difference between a good angler and a lucky one
Easy fix for that - take out the Kingi :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Mental wrote:
Pointloader wrote:Unless all including Kingfish size is also slotted, even that format has a major failing. One big king for some "lucky" angler with some mediocre snapper could easily make the winning difference between a good angler and a lucky one
Easy fix for that - take out the Kingi :lol:
Or kingie length - 20cm. A 1m kingie is as good as an 80cm snapper in a comp?? Or something to that effect

Sent from my iPhone
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Pointloader

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Take out the kingy, you take out a large part the skill the comp is trying to test...
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

DJ-400
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4232

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Don't forget that at Rob's meet up he did have a section for the biggest (trophy/glory) snapper and you didn't need to kill it, just photography the fish's length. He did say that this will be on an honesty based thing.

A legal snapper of 30cm = 300 pts
A legal kingi of 75cm = 300 pts so that's 2.5 times, but the difficulty is more, so 2.5 isnt a true indication because a 100cm snapper would mean you would have to catch a 250cm kingi.
If you take a calculation of the length of a kingi and t it by 4.75 that would be truer to the equivalent in snapper "points" size.
So a legal snapper of 30 cm = 300 points and a legal kingi of 75 cm would be worth 356.25 pts and a snapper of 65 cm would be 650 pts so to get the same points for a kingi you would have to catch a 137cm kingi.
An 80cm snapper = 800 pts so the equivalent kingi in points would be 168.4cm.
Does this sound fair??
Viking Profish 400, chill pod, tackle pod, lowrance elite 7hdi/elite 5hdi, Railblaza *ZMW4232*

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 am

Nah. I would personally rate a 75 cm kingie better than a 30cm snapper. By a long way. You'd want to reward some who can catch one, without it being an automatic win

Sent from my iPhone
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

DJ-400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4232

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:04 pm

sk8e8 wrote:Nah. I would personally rate a 75 cm kingie better than a 30cm snapper. By a long way. You'd want to reward some who can catch one, without it being an automatic win

Sent from my iPhone
Yea your right Bryce. I did those calculations quickly last night but the figure would need to be around the 6 times mark which would mean a legal kingi of 75cm say multiplied by 6 would give you the same points as catching a 45cm snapper. Both fish would be worth 450 points
Like wise if you caught a kingi of 140cm it would be the equivalent in points of a 84cm snapper
Both fish would get 840 points.
I still don't know if this would work or if you would need to include weight some how ??
Mind you it is only for a combined length of all fish caught.
Viking Profish 400, chill pod, tackle pod, lowrance elite 7hdi/elite 5hdi, Railblaza *ZMW4232*

MikeAqua
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Also fun to pick a random length/weight/combination within certain limits and have a prize for who ever gets closest to it.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

MadMike

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Mental wrote: "lucky" angler...
And that is why series style comps are great. they eliminate the angler with the "Lucky" fish and it becomes a consistency except instead of targeting your average snapper you are now having to target and land the bigger fish. A: targeting is not something you can fluke. and B: what you hook is not easy to land... you may land one in one comp but landing them across 3-5 is another ball game. the down side to most of the comps is a lot of the "other" species of fish are very much lucky by-catch for many.

Prime example today. Targeting sharks on 10kg out fits from the boat, By catch is rays... we got 5 to us and 0 to the rays but the sharks owned our ass and it was 4 - 0 to them... I have a very hot thumb :P but landing them is possible and definitely a skill, woulda helped if they weren't 150kg + models but smaller 80kg ones but hey if they were they would have been a lot easier to capture and the score would have been in our favor not theres. ( no rods were broken in this exercise) and I now have a very healthy respect for Okuma reels

profishpaul
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler 4.3 elite

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 pm

[quote="Pointloader"]I personally don't like it, obviously each to their own but seems pointless to me.
What's fun about catching pannies for competition? Pannies are for dinner not glory, and don't give me that bullshit that you don't try in a competition situation to catch a "trophy" or "glory" fish.

how dare you call my 590mm 4kg snapper a pannie shame on you pointloader :lol: :lol:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Like Mental , I like Joes format from the Softbait champs . Lots of skill involved ( and luck ) in trying to catch 6 snapper over 2 days closest to 60cm . I also like the biggest fish wins comps too as I don't believe its normally a " lucky angler " that wins . Most of the comps ive been to the biggest fish has been won by people with the skill to find the fish , catch the fish and put in the hard yards to do so . Pete and Ails are perfect examples of this .

• Information