kayak sails

Find and take part in our weekly poll, find out how others are doing it, what the are doing it with, how often they are doing it etc. Also suggest your own polls in here and we'll get them posted

Do You Use a Yak Sail?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Wind Paddle
3%
Pacific Action (commercial)
10%
Other Commercial Design
No votes
Umbrella
No votes
DIY (or copied design)
7%
Looking at getting one
21%
No, Paddles are good enough for me
59%

Total votes: 29
Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey does anyone know the cost of the Pacific Action sale for a prowler 13?

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I've got the 1.5m sail on my Ultra, not sure if you'd get away with the 1m on the P13 may be talk to the boys at Johnsons, the 1.5m sail is $385
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

the sails aren boat specific.
They come in a few sizes 1m and 1.5m are the common ones for sot kayaks. (personally have a 1.5m.)
I'm not 100 % sure on retail but think hey are around the $380ish mark (could be very wrong on this) so it's probably worth ringing someone like johnsons or canoe and kayak who stock them for pricing.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slow2run

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Heres one that some may want to look at,http://www.kayaksailor.com?

oldwetfish
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: TI
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4324

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:23 am

I dont think that I need to say too much here, but I might just add my 5 cents worth.

GET A HOBIE!!!

but seriously, I am saving up for a Hobie Tandem Island.
I do like the idea of staying with the Hobie, but I would like to be able to do some big trips, such as sailing to the next kayak meetup from Auckland - Coromandel.
The Adventure island I have has to be the best fishing vessel I have ever used, when fishing on the manukau harbour in summer, if you are out in the morning, you can almost guarantee a Sea Breeze, which gives you a very fast downwind leg back to the ramp.

Many times I have left the sail at home, and gone out just as a paddleyak.

But the ease of use for the sail system on the Hobie AI is astounding, for those of you who arent sailors, it is as simple as one rope in and one rope to roll the sail up (furl).
and with over 57 sq feet of sail, there is no end of excitement on a windy day.
(with the furl system you can turn down the excitement if you are feeling a little sheepish.

If you still arent sold, go to youtube and have a look at videos made by Yakabout.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello all,

Just bumping this poll/thread to ask if anyone is still or has started using, a sail?

Maybe I'm a tightass but I can't see US$150 in the Wind Paddle.

Has anyone actually used any of the cheap copies that are on trademe or ebay?

How about the Flat Earth sail?

Is anyone using a sail without a rudder or is that a stoopid question because rudders are essential? I'm wondering how far off downwind a rudder and the right sail would achieve.

Thanks.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 pm

You can use them without a rudder, put pretty much only for downwind blats.

I made the PA clone found on the interwebs as my first sail (PVC pipe and offcut from the local sailmakers) which scared the bejeezus out of me the first time I opened it up with a decent tailwind and pulled about 9kts :lol:

Still use the PA design and have no reason to change. Some claim the sails rock badly, but you just need to strap them down hard - I use old kayak roofrack tiedowns and have no issues. Best suited on longer yaks, and stows neatly down the side of the footwell.

The Flat Earth sails are still available, Mick who used to make them sadly passed away although I believe his family are continuing production. Big following in Oz for these. Takes some fairly serious mods to the yak from what I recall and is best if you're a 'real' sailor who likes to kayak.

Then the WindPaddle, the easiest of the three to stow with minimal deck clutter, and like the PA sail is good for opportunist downwind runs and can sail across the wind out to around 40° or so. With rudder.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Call me a traditionalist but ... shouldn't that transducer be outside the boat?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

kingiFiddler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks for that. Rudder + sail = no fish finder until next Summer or Lotto, whichever comes first.

Anyone tried the cheap sails on Trademe/Ebay? Are they the crap quality I suspect they are and a waste of postage charges?

It's quite difficult accurately assessing the various products when coming from SFA yaking experience. For example, I'm trying to keep the area around my legs free of clutter and those sails that stow there look like a magnet for hooks and assorted carnage from a still-green fish? Not to mention something I'll kick the crap out of on my way overboard when I roll the yak.

But, I've got short legs so there's actually quite a bit of spare (or should that be underutilised) room forward of my feet.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 pm

I brought a Windpaddle, really happy with it!!! well made, light, easy to stow and takes up little room.
I'd go the adventure model, also the service and quick reply from the guys in the US was awesome. :y:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 pm

kingiFiddler

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks paddlesnap. Perhaps there could be some sort of compromise shape/materials that would produce an OK drogue that, with the addition of an extra piece over the small end, then becomes a kite.

It's not often we'd need to deploy both at the same time.

kingiFiddler

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks Douugie. At least it's something that looks made to last, so perhaps OK value even if the initial price seems high.

• Information