Lockdown

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Hows everyone doing / All well? you need to be careful who you ask,eh . Someone may be ill, in which case you could offer some positive comments . I have a mate, who I don't see that often, but you never ask him, are you well? He immediately reels off, his toenail infection, his bronchial cough, his eyesight, and if you are still around his bowel issues.... and so on. Funnily enough he never married , hasn't got kids. So with that sentiment in mind , How are we all doing ? To date the weather has played the game , well here in Hawkes Bay it has, so gardening has been my saviour. Ive been treating it almost like a job , regular sessions ,not too much at once, because you can't go to the dump, lots of mulching sessions. Winter garden planned ,and partially planted. Firewood under control, but yeah , here it comes ..... Fishing withdrawal......Ive recently had most of my stuff stolen, so I'm reconstituting old gear, cleaning up tackle, etc etc . My preferred mode of transport is my E-bike right now so I'm setting up a telescopic rod ,and bike friendly tackle box.
You know biking is still on the "good" list, and I've been trying to knock out between 10 to 15 k a day . Inevitably this takes me along the coast, so you know where I'm going with this ,eh?" Bike Fishing ".It isn't going replace kayak fishing, to change the world , or even catch anything worth eating but its something to think about.You aren't allowed to fish just now but it will come , and when it does Bike fishing will be a solitary & safe option, and might keep me at least relatively sane !

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Good on ya !.. yep. ..I think we’re all suffering from withdrawal symptoms of something , so it really comes down to finding something to keep you sane !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:17 pm

I don't have fishing withdraws like some people. I've completed a lot of projects on our house and garden. I'm also doing yoga and prison workouts, (check out Moses Cuevas and Iron Wolf if you're curious) to keep the body and mind rock solid.

I haven't touched my fishing gear or kayak. It's probably more of a hinderance because it's taking up a lot of space in the garage. But most importantly I'm spending lots of quality time with my missus and daughter. To be perfectly honest, I've enjoyed the last 2 weeks .
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

SitDown

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Have certainly enjoyed this time off so far, with more to come yay, still heaps to do in the garden & around the house

Spent days on end reading thru the many posts on here to get familiar with possies around auck city & elsewhere
There is definitely a fish migration pattern & a time where it goes almost barren.... best of all, I know where your spot x are now haha, then again, doesn't always mean fish in the bin, so un-haha

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:11 am

OK I think. Main difference to our lives, apart from no fishing is that I'm living downstairs and the wife and boy are upstairs. I'm still working, but a different roster pattern. Easier in some respects and work is a lot quieter. Boredom has driven me in to the garden as there a few jobs that needed doing. As a rule, I don't do gardening, but these are strange times! Desperate to go for a fish, dive or hunt :(

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:23 am

The following is partly, an attempt at humour and also serious:

... because even though I am well and not suffering, like people in the rest of the world, who have it much worse than us, I am still being stung, daily, but the uncaring and cavalier attitude of millennials flouting the rules.

Whilst, good old man, that I am, stays home and doesn't go 'yakking, 100 metres from shore, in the middle of Auckland Harbour, with a life jacket, in a virtually unsinkable kayak, because, Helicopter, Air-sea Rescue, Navy, Hospital, Doctors, Nurses, Funeral Director.

I live in a block of 6 units, 4 of which are obeying the rules, so Jabba the Hutt girl has had all manner of male visitors and dogs visiting, mostly overnight, but all different people, I know this, because she has a very loud voice that can be heard through brick walls and when she snares another poor male, she gets really excited and loud, so we are in no doubt, as to what she's doing to them, she's like a trapdoor spider. Only huge.

Single man, next but one, has always spent the weekends with his partner and the weekdays he lives in his flat here, he has not changed his ways, due to lvl 4.

Next door house, older couple, religiously going for a walk three times away, all within the rules, happy to talk at 2~3 metres - loverly.

Next door house, other side, older man, and half the Brady Bunch as kids, in their 20s, of interest to me because three of them have Subaru wagons similar to mine. So I always know when one of them is home, or absent for days and then he's back and then there's a different car in the drive that then changes, daily.

I've thought about dobbing this lot in, but common sense says that incidence of the virus is so low that these folk are running minimal risk, and I don't need WWIII on my doorstep.

The stick-on shark's teeth have arrived for my new kayak and I've sorted a bait board, to bolt to the centre hatch cover, I think I'll be tinkering in the carport today.

I've now become an armchair Utube expert on : Compound Bow hunting, the set up and tuning of bows, arrows and sighting and the prices of bows, accessories and delivery times from 'Merica, China, Taiwan, Australia and the UK.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:25 am

Fishing Rods, Compound Bow, Hunting Rifle, Harpoon, what more do you need?

Yakattak.jpg
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Waylander

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Well apart from the fishing withdrawals, I've had a good lockdown, our 2nd child turned up halfway through week one, so have had lots of time with her! Also learnt how to make fish dumplings, So mostly positive from me.... Still have a job, fish in the freezer, and a roof over my head. And if I can at least get the fly line out when we get to lv3 I'll be happier.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Waylander wrote:
I've had a good lockdown, our 2nd child turned up halfway through week one, so have had lots of time with her!
Congratulations :beer:

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 pm
Waylander wrote:
I've had a good lockdown, our 2nd child turned up halfway through week one, so have had lots of time with her!
Congratulations :beer:
Ditto!
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information