955 Meters

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Just wanted to share this with someone who'd appreciate the importance of it...

I just signed for my first house in NZ (not easy to afford for us poor foreigners). A new build in Glenbrook which is 58kms from my job in Mt Wellington, but it's all that I could find within my budget that I could get excited about. And the excitement is this... it's 955m from my driveway to the boat ramp :)

Building will only finish around Jan/Feb, but it's something to look forward to.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:11 pm

Congratulations :beer:

I don't think property is expensive in NZ, just Auckland and a few other hotspots, but I suppose it depends on what you're comparing it to and wages etc

FatherOfMany

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:48 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:11 pm
I don't think property is expensive in NZ, just Auckland and a few other hotspots, but I suppose it depends on what you're comparing it to and wages etc
Maybe, although NZ as a whole is now considered the most expensive country for property in the world relative to income.
But for me, my kids are in Auckland, so this is where I need to be. And also, as a software developer it's difficult finding work outside of those hotspots you mention.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:32 am

I understand the situation with your kids. Most of my neighbours have work based in Auckland, but work from home. I seem to be the only mug that gets out of bed at 0630 every morning to go to work. Could you work from home in the future?

FatherOfMany

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Could you work from home in the future?
You have to get up at 6:30 every morning because you're not doing your ideal job, being a fortune teller???
I just got offered a job this week for a startup, which would be working from home. I'm going to turn this one down for a whole bunch of reasons, but yes, being a software developer means that working from home is definitely an option.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:44 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
I understand the situation with your kids. Most of my neighbours have work based in Auckland, but work from home. I seem to be the only mug that gets out of bed at 0630 every morning to go to work. Could you work from home in the future?
6:30? Luxury! I need to set the alarm for 5 to start at 7 . 20-25 min run in and sometimes over an hour and a half coming home in peak hour traffic.
At least that’s what I’m going back to when I start work again. Currently on acc.
It can always be worse. ;)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm

My daughter is in software and 'works' in Italy from Berlin, there must be some way you can telecommute?

Was in Aucks last week for a course and it's not the sleepy city I left 30 years ago :worried: Hell, I was earlier looking at buying a cottage on a quiet metalled road that's now under the Albany commercial sprawl.
In hindsight, I would have made a fortune on the real estate.

Bottom line, you can effectively 'walk' your kayak to the ramp, and many tasty Gurnard in that water :y:

If it makes you feel any better, I work within 'casting range' of the Cavallis, but too shagged at the end of the day to do anything about it !
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information