affiliation

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
kaiyakfisher
Kayak Make: Qkayaks
Kayak Model: escapade

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi there any body know if kayak fishing clubs are new zealand sport fishing council affiliated in order to be a proper club or is it up the individual clubs to choose.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Kayakfishingnz.com used to be affiliated but hasn't been for a few years.... it's up to each individual club whether or not they affiliate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I just had a look through the yearbook, and couldn't see any kayak clubs that were.
It's a funny one, as I suspect that most of the clubs won't want to pay affiliation fees, etc, and function very well outside the Sportfishing Council, so affiliating serves little purpose for the clubs, apart from individuals who want to fish The Nationals, or major comps/tournaments, or want a fish weighed for a record, NZ or IGFA.
Joining an affiliated club as an individual isn't overly expensive and does have some serious benefits. Off the top of my head Tauranga Sportfishing Club has annual fees of circa $60, Clevedon Gamefishing is much the same, and generally with the clubs they are a bunch of good buggers and are always on the lookout for new members.
Plus if you join, you get a cool little plastic membership card!
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Nemesis wrote:I just had a look through the yearbook, and couldn't see any kayak clubs that were.
It's a funny one, as I suspect that most of the clubs won't want to pay affiliation fees, etc, and function very well outside the Sportfishing Council, so affiliating serves little purpose for the clubs, apart from individuals who want to fish The Nationals, or major comps/tournaments, or want a fish weighed for a record, NZ or IGFA.
Joining an affiliated club as an individual isn't overly expensive and does have some serious benefits. Off the top of my head Tauranga Sportfishing Club has annual fees of circa $60, Clevedon Gamefishing is much the same, and generally with the clubs they are a bunch of good buggers and are always on the lookout for new members.
yup and it's also a good spot to get a good feed and a cold beer. I am only a social member at the whakatane club as I don't enter their tournaments unless I'm on a boat. The rules for their comps are pretty sucky when it comes to kayak fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 am

Nemesis wrote:I just had a look through the yearbook, and couldn't see any kayak clubs that were.
What are the "serious benefits"? I find it difficult to convince myself let alone anyone else that it worth while joining and paying a fee to a club. All I want to do is go out , spend some "me " time away and catch a feed occassionally. Not interested in killing fish for the cance of winning a set of steak knives or a boat. and I dont need to see my name buried amonst the others on some club pin board.
Why is a club only "proper" if it is affiliated to the National Sportfishing Council?

Glass is Class.. dedant

Nemesis

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

dedant wrote: What are the "serious benefits"? I find it difficult to convince myself let alone anyone else that it worth while joining and paying a fee to a club. All I want to do is go out , spend some "me " time away and catch a feed occassionally. Not interested in killing fish for the cance of winning a set of steak knives or a boat. and I dont need to see my name buried amonst the others on some club pin board.
Why is a club only "proper" if it is affiliated to the National Sportfishing Council?
The benefits are around if you do ever want to weigh a fish for a record, being able to wander into other clubs around the country and enjoy their dining and hospitality and the intel and news that comes out of these clubs.
To be able to win knives, tackle, boats, etc in comps does not mean you have to be a member of an affiliated club, that's dependent upon the rules of said comp. Eg Leigh Fishing Comp is open to ALL anglers.

And at no stage did I say, or imply, that a club was "proper" or not whether it was affiliated, or not, to the Sportfishing Council.
The kayak fishing clubs are great entities in their own right, have structure, officials, subs, etc, or can be loose entities, they are still a club. They do have good community, great competitions, and knowledge sharing and do make for a whole lot of fun.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

"proper" thing refers to the original post, cheers. :)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Nemesis

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Ahh! Sorry for being prickly. ;)

• Information