Spearfishing from the kayak?

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Had a quick search and found some posts but gonna crack on with a new thread.

For the years I've fished from a yak I've never ever wanted to get in the water. But now... for some reason after being asked if I would be keen to try spearfishing, I can't get the thought out of my head.

I've been asking around and the gear seems to be around $1000 circa. I'm sure I can wheel and deal my way into some good gear for cheaper :wasntme:

I'm curious to know how many spearo's are on here and use their kayak as a platform and I am also keen to get some pointers from the lads as to any traps to look out for or tips for buying gear or MUST or MUST NOTs when heading into it. I will look at taking a course once I have the basic gear...

More info the better if ya can!

Cheers
KLB

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:06 pm

I've been talking with Rob fort about this over the years and I would be call on him for gear and tips if I was you, he also has his own rigging systems to make it easy of the kayak like a tow rig with drop weight to use your kayak as a float boat. Even said to me he would take me out a couple of times if I get some gear from him. nice offer :y:

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Gidday Winch... Yeah, solid point mate. I was thinking about giving him a call on this... still might :y:

Keen as for as much info as possible :clap:

KLB

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 am

Go and talk to Mike and the team at Ocean Hunter , found them pretty good .
http://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bit like training a dog , best if you tag along with experienced dudes on a organised trip ,club and pick up the skills observing them and being taught the tricks .
Most are boat based then swim bits of the coast and mothership it , I've found with free diving the time in the water and effort expended along with all the gear and support , safety , buddies etc negates most kayaks and pretty limited what you can do with a SAFETY margin .
Yeah Kerry and I do use them but you will soon find that all the crap they put on TV and such is just that , they have a film crew and big support ship at hand so not real world for us paupers.
Even in full fitness and enthusiasm you cannot beat a boat and at the end of a long day in the water , you will be amazed at how absolutely F---ed you physically are so the long paddle back not a great prospect.
I used to do a fair bit of paddle to good spots then shore base freedive /spear gather but maybe I'm too good (nickname 'Wall of Death") and a decent catch has to be taken into consideration too so once again can't beat a RIB or inflatable tender with an outboard.
The main over riding deal with Spearfishing and diving is BUDDY system so getting another bud when ya need em up to your enthusiasm levels is a very rare commodity and darn near impossible to organise , basically they know if they dive and go for a boat .
Cheers mate give us a buzz though , I'm keen and have all the gear languishing a bit at the moment as my Boat spearo buddy is in hiatus at the mo with the ol motor dying and I'm, dare I say it," going to have to get a dive Boat ;-)"
PS if you ever fatigue out (hit the wall ) or cramp any distance in the sea is near impossible under self propulsion so heed this if nothing else !
Last edited by paddlesnap on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

Yep ps makes some good points there, I've dived extensively from my yak and it's pretty good but like ps said after a big day in the water the effort reqhires to paddle home can be killer. My advice is spots close to launch sites. Make sure that all the clips and things that could snag your suit or weight belt are removed from the kayak, getting half off only to be caught by a paddle clip is a nightmare and will leave you with holes in the suit. Find someone to five with and get both of you trained in what to do in case of shallow water blackout, it could save you life! PS if you want an awesome dive boat my jet ski is for sale, it is prob the best thing that I've dived from....

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

gibro712
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5027

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:39 pm

If I was starting again, I would probably work out things in this order.
1. Decide if it is a love for the long term (helps to determine whether to buy good gear from the get go or not)
2. Find dive buddies, preferably ones with a bit of experience, but anyone you can trust to keep a reasonable eye on each other when out in the water
3. Spend time in the water mastering your gear in that environment
4. Do a course (i did mine through ocean hunter), so that you learn dive safety, and also learn epic breath hold techniques (while remaining safe)

Many of these things have already been mentioned by previous posts. But this is my two cents.

Cheers
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
ZMU5027

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 am

Wall of death ... like it :lol:
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black