Garmin Mapping GPS Users...

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Came across this concerning article re: Garmin mapping errors.
Whilst I am a paper and needle freak, I'd be interested if anyone has encountered this?

http://wild.com.au/gear/tried-tested/in ... aphic-maps
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the heads -up , dosn't affect me though I hope as when I got my Garmin GPSmap 62S , I thought they gouged far too much for their software and was advised to get Memory Map .
It works great , and the mapping has a lot of detail I've found where I use it and reasonably easy for a tyro like me that dosn't use it much.
I did notice MMap in it's 3-D mode when I was reliving a paddle and playing around can create some interesting interpretations in it's animation of terrain which had gaps in areas that seem to be plucked and it made Flat top island off the top of Coromandel peninsula a pinnacle ( must look at what it does with Castle Rock ?)
Never use this anyhow as Google Earth so great , sometimes they over complicate and forget the important stuff.

Prime example a work associate noted for worst case scenarios , came in with a flash new Garmin with camera , and all the Bell's and whistles as he had previously got lost on a Heli hunting drop off trip with his mates . They must have some concerns so leant on him to learn to use it as he had it with him at the time and slept out in the Bush that episode.
I tried showing him a few basics but he seemed convinced it was like the magic push the button and it would sort it , Hmmm-" you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink !"

Historical Examples
There is, I fear, no feature whereby the tyro can distinguish an eagle as it soars overhead high in the heavens.

Birds of the Plains
Douglas Dewar

• Information