beef jerky recipes

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Who out there makes beef jerky and wants to share their secret recipe??
I have made a couple of batches with mixed success and have not written anything down.
After a failproof method with a small bradley smoker.
Cheers
Last edited by rayh on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm

rayh wrote:Who out there makes beef jerky and wants to share their secret recipe??
I have made a couple of batches with mixed success and have not written anything down.
After a failproof method with a small bradley smoker.

pm G1 its his new thing

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Happy to share a biltong recipe, but you need a drying cupboard which is simple to make, just my opinion, but it kicks jerky into touch

miniyak
Kayak Model: profish 400 & 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw6010

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Also have a biltong recipe and happy to share it..
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

rayh

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Yes please. Will also be very interested in knowing about biltong :y: ;)

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm

2 kg silverside
150 ml red wine vinegar
50 ml Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, roasted fresh then coarsely ground
1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
500 g coarse sea salt
150 g brown sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Directions:

Cut the beef into strips about 4cm thick. Pack the meat into a smallish bowl, so that it fits tightly.
Add the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Leave for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the coriander and pepper together in another bowl.
In a third bowl, mix the salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda together.
Remove the meat from the marinade, but reserve the marinade for later use.
Add the beef to the bowl of spices, mixing it around until evenly coated. Save any spices that don't stick.
Bury the spiced beef in the salt and the sugar mixture and leave it for 3 hours.
Remove the beef from the brine and dip it back into the reserved vinegar marinade for another 5 minutes.
Remove the beef from the marinade and using the vinegar, wash all the salt off
Roll in the spices once more. The meat is now ready for hanging.
Use paper clips as hooks or make them out of wire
Leave the strips hanging for 5 to 10 days, more if you want it drier, in a warm, dry place.

If you want instructions on a box I can post those

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I've done some jerky a few times now... Easy as.

Get as much schnitzel as your smoker racks will allow. Cut into strips.
Marinade for a while in your favourite flavours... I particularly like some Chinese hoisin sauce and some extra chilli :y:
Let your marinated strips dry a little on the racks before you dry/smoke them.
I only use a little bit of smoke and keep the temp low so that the jerky strips dry out slowly rather than cook. Takes a couple of hours in my cabinet smoker. I just check them every now and then until they feel/look/taste right.

I can't tell you temps or anything like that cos my cabinet ain't that flash, just use a low heat.

But the results are yummy :y:

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 am

Gidday ray, This is what I use as a base recipe. I then adjust the quantities to suit my taste buds. I use schnitzel these days as its way easier and cost effective. I do mine in a charcoal smoker with the lid raised to let the heat out. Takes about 4 hours.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/c ... eef-jerky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Ill write up a recipe tomorrow to for jerky . :yawn: Bedtime now !

rayh

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks guys :y:
That gives me a few options to try.
I am going to have a crack at this biltong as well. Going out to
the shed now to construct a drying cupboard 8)

G1

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:44 am

Ok so I have another batch down today. Recipe as follows

2/3 C worchester sauce
1/2 C Soy sauce
4 tsp brown sugar
5 Tblsp Honey
3 heaped teaspoons of chilli (masterfoods in a jar)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

I like my jerky quite sweet with a little bit of heat. To boost the heat I have found that you need to add more pepper. The chilli does not seem to increase the heat too much.
This marinade smells terrible but tastes mint once the meat has dried.
These days I just use schnitzel as its already thin and I just have to cut strips.

I dry it in my charcoal smoker....charcoal basically burns the wood to make smoke....and the sun warms the body of smoker to provide heat. I let the heat escape out the top and sides by spacing the lid up or just removing it completely depending on what I reckon the heat is doing.
DSCF2266.JPG
DSCF2267.JPG
DSCF2268.JPG

G1

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:46 am

I put all the cut meat in a freezer bag and marinade at least over night, sometimes longer. Moving the meat and marinade around in the bag as often as I remember. I try to keep the smoker under 50 degrees C. Sometimes its hard to do but I find that if I can achieve this then it takes about 4-6 hours to dry.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:33 pm

G1 wrote:I put all the cut meat in a freezer bag and marinade at least over night, sometimes longer. Moving the meat and marinade around in the bag as often as I remember. I try to keep the smoker under 50 degrees C. Sometimes its hard to do but I find that if I can achieve this then it takes about 4-6 hours to dry.
Looking at your pics has me licking my lips and wanting to fire up my smoker !

G1

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:
G1 wrote:I put all the cut meat in a freezer bag and marinade at least over night, sometimes longer. Moving the meat and marinade around in the bag as often as I remember. I try to keep the smoker under 50 degrees C. Sometimes its hard to do but I find that if I can achieve this then it takes about 4-6 hours to dry.
Looking at your pics has me licking my lips and wanting to fire up my smoker !
Do it !! :y: Ive made a pig of myself today. I had to bag it before I ate it all.

twistedpete
Kayak Model: PF400

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Got to love the home made jerky, i make it quite often and tend to use blade steak, top side roasts or rump steak as all our beef is home kill, most cuts will be fine but the leaner the better. Just ensure you cut across the grain of the meat other wize it can be too chewy. as for marinade i just use a bit of everything and have just used sweet chilli sauce and garlic or store brought BBQ sauce which was a bit to sweet. wipping the excess marinade off and letting it dry a bit before smoking helps and seems to make it last longer in the bag, always good to put a couple of garlic bulbs in the smoker at the same time as smoked garlic is pretty tasty, have also done salt, just put it in a bag and hang it up in there or on a tray in the smaller smokers. I tend to smoke for around 3 hours and keep it in there for another couple at 40c-70c. in like to use fruit wood, apple, cherry, grape vine or a mix i find manuka and oak can be quite bitter so i dont tend to use much of those.
Attachments
IMG_2068[1].JPG
IMG_2220[1].JPG
VIKING PF400

G1

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Looks bloody beaut Pete. :y: I use schnitzel as I find its the most cost effective. I buy all my meat from the local overpriced supermarket so even rump is to expensive for me to make jerky.

cbfb
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 pm

dammit i'm gonna have to go home and make some now after reading this, making my mouth water just looking at those photos

first tried making this about 10 yrs ago, now settled on what i believe is the easiest method although i imagine cold smoking will produce better results

the cheapest, quickest way seems to be using schnitzel. again it's a compromise but i find the results satisfactory

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Min ... sp=sharing

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

NZ Weather Stations & Webcams

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:13 am

Pete, when using manuka and oak , it is better to smoke for a lesser time, that way it is not so bitter. In saying that the fruit woods give a brilliant flavour as long as the wood does not have too much moisture in it. :)

twistedpete
Kayak Model: PF400

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 am

To be honest i havnt tried smoking jerky with Manuka, have done a mix of apple and oak and that was pretty good. I would asume that a shorter smoke time would help, i cooked a pork shoulder with charcoal and manuka once and it was really bitter, in saying that as the beef has a stronger flavour and would be marinated it may not be as much of an issue. I made some a couple of days ago, sweet chilli and garlic, Bbq and one lot marinated with Jamakin Jerk and garlic smoked with Cherry wood. turned out pretty good if i dont say so my self lol. Only issue was that i used a top side roast cut up and it wasnt very uniform, so some bits are really dry and some is still a bit soft and moist. Unsure how well it will keep not so dry but lucky if there will be any left next week anyway.
VIKING PF400

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:54 am

Did some Kahawai the other day. These were bleed and gutted as they came into the yak. Filleted/skinned and boned and cut into long strips. Made up a brine similar to jerky, in they went for 12 hours, only as I was busy doing other things. Taken out hung on a wire, drained and dried for 24 hours, cold smoked for 6hours, all rough figures, then finished them off with a little bit of soft heat drying them out just that bit more. These turned out really well.
Next time I make some, I shall go another step further.
That humble kahawai in my house, gets turned into top tucker. :)

• Information