Vegetable oils may not be as healthy as thought........

For discussing everything that isn't kayak fishing...
Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 am

Study released today that re-examines old lost (?buried) data from the 70s that should that cutting out saturated fats and increasing vegetable oils (specifically an omega-6 polyunsaturated) rich oil didn't make any benefits for a bunch of men recovering from a heart attack.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health-wellbe ... d=10863929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are claims that the higher death rate in the vegetable oil group were 1) not statistically significant, 2) due to the high transfat content of the margarine supplement 3) not relevant for todays healthier diet and 4) they had too much of the oils and we know (today) that you have to keep your omega 3 (fish oils) and omega 6 oils in balance.

However, this was one of the studies being conducted at the time to try and demonstrate that we should all be moving away from saturated fats and eating lots more polyunsaturated oils (we didn't know about monounsaturated oils like olive when this study was done).

I've been doing a lot of reading around this as part of my PhD and those original studies are....well....I don't see how they came to the claims that they did.

Interesting comment made by a nutritionist....the people in the Sydney study had issues because they had about 15% of their energy intake from the linoleic oil....BUT given that this is one of the most common oils used in cooking (has names like sunflower and safflower) they actually don't know how much we actually consume these days of this stuff. A 2003 Aussie study, based on 1995 data, showed it was about 5%.....nearly 20 years on......I suspect it is much more than that........

As far as I am concerned...butter is just fine (make fish taste much better when you fry them...) Just don't go overboard with it!!

What do others think?

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 am

Celebre wrote:I don't see how they came to the claims that they did.
Like many things, I assume the $$$ were good
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 am

Having had a mate who goes to the gym every day, competes in triathlons, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and eats healthy go down with a heart attack - I figured it's completely random. :D
That, and if he has an MI, my chances of old age are effectively nil!

So, I'll continue to eat cheese out of the fridge and boil my fish in butter (unsalted, because that makes it healthy)
butter-1.jpg
butter-1.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 668 times
With my BP, HDL and LDL all being on the "excellent results" side of the range, I'm not that convinced it's solely down to if you eat dripping on toast or not...
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

Butter or Olive oil for me. Keeps me being the fine figure of a man that I am.

I wonder if you posted this because you think some of us are in need of the help :lol: .

I think it comes down to if you eat too much or drink too much you will feel the effects. Everything in moderation means more money for fishing gear :y:
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am

Just ordered this and had it arrive.

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once I finish the current 'falling asleep on the train' book I will get into it. It promises great things.

Another study I enjoyed was 'The China Study'

http://www.thechinastudy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got interested in this stuff after my little cancer scare and of course being a type 1 diabetic I know how much diet can improve/wreck your life.

Celebre

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm

nzimp wrote:I wonder if you posted this because you think some of us are in need of the help :lol: .
Nope...just curious as to what people are using, but also to raise awareness that these "heart healthy veggie oils" may not be as good as what people think....

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Butter or Olive spread. Whole meats (joints that include the fats, collagen etc required for healthy joints) and meat which has been raised eating what it's supposed to.

I highly recommend two books that may contribute to your studies if you've not already read them, the first is "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine and Luke Shanahan, and "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.

Celebre

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks.

I'm currently reading "Good calories, Bad calories" by Gary Taubes and then I have "Sweet Poison" lined up and will keep those in mind for after then.

The Cholesterol Myths was eye-opening as well.....

Snooz
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 pm

I've recently converted to cooking with coconut oil, which like butter has had bad press due to saturated fat. But there seems to be some research that suggests it's good for you...

http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2009/07/coconut-oil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercol ... 21453.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fresh fish crumbed in panko and lightly fried in coconut oil is delish!!! Gives a lovely golden crumb. :y: It doesn't take like coconuts either!

Plus it might stop me going crazy when I get old... :lol:
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I just ate (mostly) meat for a few months. Lost 13 kg.

Have your steak and eat it too :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

paul77
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt, cobra marauder

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 pm

I firmly believe in how combustible something is as to its "health" benefits ie how easy oils and fats burn when you put a flame to them , animal fats burn better than processed vege oils this goes along with the dynamic veg theory of how quick something breaks down in the compost is the same as how quick and complete the nutrient transfer within your body is .Mind you this is all my own quackery and no education to back it up I drink a vast amount of homebrew and smoke too many ciggies so maybe its just hybrid vigour keeping me alive ?

murf

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Interesting thread. I too did the 'no carb' diet a while back and went from 96kg to 83kg in less than 3 months. "Mainly meat" would adequately describe this diet. As many know, eating 'fat' doesn't make you fat, taking in more energy than you lose does, and sugars are our highest source of this. And yes, potatoes, corn etc is sugar by this definition. A fantastic source of energy if you have to run for miles with a spear to catch the protein you need for repairing joints and muscle tissue, but excessive for sitting on the motorway listening to Classic Hits on the way to KFC.
X2 for the Coconut Oil. The important thing here is that it's cold pressed and has a high flashpoint. When your cooking oil smokes, it's giving off carcinigenic hydrocarbons.
We have the sorry distinction of being the 3rd fattest country in the world at the moment, behind the States and Mexico, hardly a bronze to be proud of. Heart disease, diabetes etc are already crippling our Healthcare services and it will get worse. Support and knowledge are the key to defeating this problem, not ridicule and blame, or ACCEPTANCE.
Another interesting thing to note about the calorie thing is temperature. Calorie is actually a unit of heat, this is missing from the calorie equation that has baffled many for ages. We know it takes x number of calories to run a certain distance and there are X calories in such and such a choc bar. Those who have studied this couldn't work out where the gap was, it's near impossible to burn the 2000 odd we intake a day. A study in one of the books I just recommended was around a guy who was intaking 12000 calories a day, which should have made one massive person, but he was in great shape. A swim athlete in fact, who spent several hours a day in a pool training. Water has 4 times the thermal load of air (in simple terms it takes us 4 times as much energy to maintain core temp in 26 degree water than 26 degree air all things being equal.)
Interesting that one definition of Celebre is "an issue causing widespread controversy or debate" :lol:
Couple of fun facts to lighten things up: The average skeleton weighs only 29 pounds.
Obesity is almost never genetic - it is environmental.
You need to do 250,000 sit ups to burn one pound of fat (or spend a day with Paddlesnap/HDL :rofl: )
A pound of bodyfat contains 1,000,000,000 fat cells and requires 3 miles of blood vessels to support it.
1kg of lean muscle burns 100 calories a day. :!: (courtesy of Tim Bean)

A useful tip for general 'good eating'. When eating anything, ask yourself: "could this meal have existed 200 years ago?" Chances are if the answer is no you are eating something, processed with additives/added sugar/preservatives etc.

tipper
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: 4.3 Ultra

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 pm

murf wrote:A useful tip for general 'good eating'. When eating anything, ask yourself: "could this meal have existed 200 years ago?" Chances are if the answer is no you are eating something, processed with additives/added sugar/preservatives etc.
I like that, because wine and beer would be included :lol:
Witty bit goes here, along with .......[url=http://www.legasea.co.nz"%20rel="nofollow]Image[/url]

uktim
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:52 pm

murf wrote:You need to do 250,000 sit ups to burn one pound of fat (or spend a day with Paddlesnap/HDL :rofl: )
Now why have i asked HLD to go for a paddle on saturday? :sweat:
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

Celebre

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 pm

murf wrote: Interesting that one definition of Celebre is "an issue causing widespread controversy or debate" :lol:
I didn't know that :rofl:

Given that my department at Uni is starting some metabolic work - many of us are low carbing. I've lost 5kg since christmas. But I'm not pushing the low carb bandwagon.....

(Still eating heaps of veggies.......)

murf

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Well done :y:

Fresh veges are very important as when you first start to part with bodyfat a lot of toxins are released and need dealt with. Fresh herbal teas are great too. These are taste dependant and some don't taste that good to some. Experiment with different flavours and enjoy the ones you like - some are nice chilled too.

Carbs are important too, just minimise the volume and if possible separate from the proteins - they have very different digestive processes. I've had to teach myself to chew properly too, this not only enhances the enjoyment of the meal but enzymes are released in the mouth during 'mastication' that get the digestion process rolling. If you eat in a hurry (as we often do) you're probably eating badly, your poor tum doesn't know what to do with big chunks of food.

At the end of the day it's all about lifestyle rather than diet, a 'diet' tends to be a short term thing and what do you know, when you revert back to 'normal' eating, so does your body! Make small, incremental changes in the right direction.

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 pm

murf wrote:Carbs are important too, just minimise the volume and if possible separate from the proteins - they have very different digestive processes
Been trying not to mix carbs and proteins. When I manage it my whole digestive system feels better. I feel lighter and my wife loves the fact that I tend to not leak as much gas :tmi: .
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

• Information