A good filleting knife?

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
Jett
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent filleting knife?

Getting sick of sharpening after each fish. Are the fishing branded ones from tackle shops any good? Ie shimano or rapala?

Budget up to $60 :^)
http://www.snapclick.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amazing Studio Quality Photo Booth, Instant Print & Facebook Upload.

rayh
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:20 pm

I got a victory knife from marine deals that i find pretty good.
A white handle like the butchers knife.
Seems to hold its edge well adn was on special for about $30.
I have a rapala but dont find it as good as the victory

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing ... 577766.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use one of these and they are great.... Carbon steel so it will and does rust... But it holds its edge for a long time. When finished I just clean,dry and spray the blade with cooking oil. I have had it for about 4 years and its still going strong. I :inlove: it

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Jett wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent filleting knife?

Getting sick of sharpening after each fish. Are the fishing branded ones from tackle shops any good? Ie shimano or rapala?

Budget up to $60 :^)
I used to have an awesome "Green river" filleting knife, but sadly now lays in the bay at Urupukapuka...
Currently using a black magic and the steel is not to bad at all...
Dick make a very nice knife as do victory...

2meke
Kayak Model: Profish 400 - Yellow

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

^^what he said^^
Victorinox and Giesser also make good knives but bang for buck you'd be hard pressed to beat the Victory.
My vote goes to F.Dick tho...they stay sharp for ages

fatbob
Kayak Model: PF 400

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Did it the other way round: bought a Berkley thing from the Warehouse for $20 odd and spent $130 on knife sharpening kit. Now ALL my knifes are razor sharp and stay so with a quick touch up. Pricey kit put lasts for the upcoming 30 years or so - same as my kayak and longer than any knife.

K

But if it's a knife, I would go for the Victorinox. They stay sharp for a while and already come with a good edge (and hey, Swiss precision steel what else are you asking for in a filleting knife?)

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 am

I have a few but find my black magic one the best overall. Also have one of those anglers mate sharpeners so all my knives are sharp as
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

technical
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6484

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 am

I use the white handled Victorinox. I like it.
I got one because someone told me it's what allot of the commercial guys use.
Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 am

While we are on the subject I tend to not wash mine until I am ready to use again. It gets a bit smelly sometimes but I find the fish oil keeps my knife from rusting. I fillet the fish, scrape any scales off then pop in a plastic bag. When I am ready to use it again I just boil the kettle and wash it. I do it with my $5 bait knife that is still rust free after 3 years or so.
I have a cheapo warehouse knife with a electric sharpener.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 am

fatbob wrote:Did it the other way round: bought a Berkley thing from the Warehouse for $20 odd and spent $130 on knife sharpening kit. Now ALL my knifes are razor sharp and stay so with a quick touch up. Pricey kit put lasts for the upcoming 30 years or so - same as my kayak and longer than any knife.

K

But if it's a knife, I would go for the Victorinox. They stay sharp for a while and already come with a good edge (and hey, Swiss precision steel what else are you asking for in a filleting knife?)
Fatbob

What sharpening kit did you end up getting?????
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Jett

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks guys,

Lastly

Pointy tip or curved tip? I sometimes find the points cutting into the bones when running the blade along the dorsal fin, but are I would guess are better to get into those hard bits?

or

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 am

Curved for taking the fillet from the frame I find easier. Longer pointy one for taking the skin off. If you are only getting one I find the curved easier to use.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

fatbob
Kayak Model: PF 400

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 am

GBC wrote:
fatbob wrote:Did it the other way round: bought a Berkley thing from the Warehouse for $20 odd and spent $130 on knife sharpening kit. Now ALL my knifes are razor sharp and stay so with a quick touch up. Pricey kit put lasts for the upcoming 30 years or so - same as my kayak and longer than any knife.

K

Fatbob

What sharpening kit did you end up getting?????
Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is fun to use and experiment with – I even managed to get my keychain knife to shave the hair of my arms, a whopping 3cm blade :D Best thing it sharpens everything from scissors to chisels, before that I didn't even know that a potato peeler can be made into a deadly assassination tool :sweat:
pricey though on more than on a monetary level. My partner's finger tip got only saved by her nail… :wasntme:

K

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 am

Get the one G1 recommended - :y: :y: Svord
I've had one for awhile also and it's done a heap of fish.
They are excellent at keeping their edge and right flexibility .
Get a good quality smooth steel and right stones for the hardness rating of the steel also.
The tip is the right shape and it goes thru bones steaking kingys & such without losing edge.

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:53 pm

I use Svord, Duel and zest in two lenghts and use a Jewl stick to sharpen well worth the money are all good Knives and do good jobs price ranging from $25-$195 each

Jett

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Get the one G1 recommended - :y: :y: Svord
I've had one for awhile also and it's done a heap of fish.
They are excellent at keeping their edge and right flexibility .
Get a good quality smooth steel and right stones for the hardness rating of the steel also.
The tip is the right shape and it goes thru bones steaking kingys & such without losing edge.
Carbon steel can rust is its not maintained properly is that right?

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah but its easy -you just wash it ,as you should anyway for hygiene purposes, then carefully (from back knife) wipe with cooking oil(fish oil or even butter) on paper towel.
These things keep their edge so be careful ,pays to use mesh glove on other hand, and like I say you wont be forever re sharpening, just correct stone to hone occaisionally & a good smooth steel, scored mine from meat boning days.
Even the best high carbon stainless rust and need constant sharpening.

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm

paddlesnap wrote:Yeah but its easy -you just wash it ,as you should anyway for hygiene purposes, then carefully (from back knife) wipe with cooking oil(fish oil or even butter) on paper towel.
These things keep their edge so be careful ,pays to use mesh glove on other hand, and like I say you wont be forever re sharpening, just correct stone to hone occaisionally & a good smooth steel, scored mine from meat boning days.
Even the best high carbon stainless rust and need constant sharpening.
Yeah I just dry mine and spray with cooking spray... People get put off these knives because they have the tendency to discolour and look dirty... But its a trade off for a long lasting edge. And yeas I use a glove on my left hand now :lol: :lol: When these cut you they cut deep and very quick. :tmi:

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Like G1 and PS said......

I have the same, picked it up for a fraction of RRP at the Auckland boat show.
I use aerosol cooking spray as a rust preventative too.
Sadly, Mrs. Waikatoyakka thought she'd do "the right thing" and chuck it in the dishwasher a while ago, 4 hours later the rust was embedded in it ;( . Looks pretty ugly but certainly does the trick.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

pblack
Kayak Make: Bic
Kayak Model: Bilbao

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:53 am

I have a 9" 'Dexter' Dexter-Russel knife - nothing to do with the TV show, but i did wonder - which is really good. Its a simple knife - wooden handle and high-carbon steel so will discolour if not kept oiled, but it is really sharp and flexible.

Definitely go for a longer knife than a shorter one, especially if skinning is something you will be doing and go for carbon steel, stainless will never get the same edge. A plastic handle is probably a good thing, as a wooden handle tends to be harder to keep clean and corrosion-free.

I also bought a cheapo 'Pucci' fillet knife from torpedo7, but it doesn't even come close to the dexter, in any way. Bait knife.

• Information