Bradley smokers

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Bradley smokers.

Well I have worn out another smoker. To those that have the Bradley, how do you rate them ? Do the smoking bricks taste like they are advertised? Have you had any problems with them ? Eagerly awaiting any feed back. Cheers.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Sorry I missed this, did you end up getting one?

I've got one, had it for a few years but to be honest hardly ever use it but when I do it gives great results. Have done a lot of fish in it and ham, chicken, cheese as well :y: My problem is I don't have anywhere set up for it all the time so each time I have to get it out set it up and put it away afterwards, need to set it up in the man cave or something so it can be used more easily...

Biggest gripe is the cost of the biscuits, way more expensive than buying straight sawdust but also a lot more convenient and the ability to programme it to cook and smoke is good too so you can set and forget :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed May 25, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks Jason. Have read a few reviews pertaining to a few hiccup problems the Bradley seems to have. Hence the reason i posted.
The biscuits do come across as being costly, but one burns for 20 minutes so I am told. So on those figures a pack of 100 at $120 or whatever gives 2000 minutes, Hmmm that is still 33 hours of smoking or around $3.60 per hour. So on that basis it is comparable to going into the field/ time / chainsaw /fuel/ ect Would really like to see one in operation before I commit.

Cheers.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 am

HookiT wrote:Thanks Jason. Have read a few reviews pertaining to a few hiccup problems the Bradley seems to have. Hence the reason i posted.
The biscuits do come across as being costly, but one burns for 20 minutes so I am told. So on those figures a pack of 100 at $120 or whatever gives 2000 minutes, Hmmm that is still 33 hours of smoking or around $3.60 per hour. So on that basis it is comparable to going into the field/ time / chainsaw /fuel/ ect Would really like to see one in operation before I commit.

Cheers.

Maybe Kingfish Killer can add something to the discussion as I know he has used his quite a bit in the past including doing some Kingie for me...which incidentally came out great !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 pm

It would be good to see a side by side comparison with a Bradley smoker and my normal vault-like smoker. But in all seriousness it's not a laborious or expensive task to get a hand full of wood chip, put it in a tray and check it from time to time. Perhaps tampering with the gas dial to get the right flame and temperature is all it takes.

I love smoking chicken. I leave them in a saffron/salt/sugar infused brine overnight and smoke at 130 Celsius for 3 hours. A small amount of apple or hickory wood chip is all it takes and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Bradley biscuits.

That's my 5 cents. :)
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu May 26, 2016 10:18 am

Those UFO cold smoker units look good. Just attach to the BBQ add as much or as little heat as you like.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information