Exotic meats

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
miniyak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400 & 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw6010

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Oh k so it's not fish related but I'm hanging out to try a few different things like kangaroo, ostrich, crocodile etc.
Yes I could just go over to ozzy but Im sure I must be able to find them somewhere and there's to many Australians over there.
Has anyone managed to find different things around nz what did you think of them? Where did you find them?
Cheers

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I have seen some interesting meats at the Aussie Butcher in kumeu, haven't tried eating them though.

Sent from my GT-S7390 using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:16 pm

I know this doesn't help you up there but the New World in Albany used to have an exotic meats section with all that you listed, may be ask at your local New World..?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:23 pm

can't help, but we really rate kangaroo. very tender and tasty. also, cheap as chips in aussie :)

Last edited by AndrewRawlingson on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miniyak
Kayak Model: profish 400 & 440
VHF Call Sign: zmw6010

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Well I might be in luck, my better half studies in albany so even though she isn't keen to try them she might pick some up for me....if I'm lucky

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk
The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Yep, Aussie Butcher is your best bet.

I can tell you that young camel steaks are melt in the mouth. Get an older animal and you'll still be chewing when everyone else is onto the port and cigars.
Others I've had include:
Snake -nice, but firm/hard,
Croc - better than snake, a strongish flavour bit like a wild turkey.
Roo - Like one of the more tender cuts of steak.
Huhu grubs fried in a bit of butter are very nice, I like them. Slightly nutty and best tried the first time after a few glasses (psychological blindfold). Forget the Bear Grylls raw Huhu, cook 'em.
Weta - Protected, but do have a habit of jumping into campfires when bivvied up in the bush. Probably the closest thing I've found to "tastes like chicken". Don't bother fighting over the drumsticks though.
Horse mussels (as opposed to horse muscles) are nice, but there's one bit which I haven't identified yet that is like getting a mouthful of black pepper.
Freshwater crays (Koura), delicious and widespread - check bush streams at night.
Freshwater mussels, a Dunlop Radial has more flavour and is the same texture.
Possum - nice fried in a crispy crumb, wife calls it Kentucky Fried Possum. Forget the males and older ones though.
Escargot - See Freshwater Mussels
Sea Anemone - Tried making a soup out of them once, interesting subtle (bland) flavour but not inedible.

"If it moves, it isn't food...yet!" :devil:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Lols HLD, I like raw Huhu grubs as a man test, taste like wood! Koura are awesome dipped in salt! Must of had a boy possum YUK!! Pupu's or cats eyes are disgusting! Would like to try snake and roo :?:

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:08 am

Generally you are supposed to eat just the adductor muscle - the white bit like on a scallop.
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Horse mussels (as opposed to horse muscles) are nice, but there's one bit which I haven't identified yet that is like getting a mouthful of black pepper.
I used to eat a bit of wallaby when I live in Dunedin and hunted in South Canterbury. Tender lean, but lacked flavour, used to throw in a bit of bacon to lard it up. When I lived there a restaurant called Crocodillos used to serve all sorts of interesting game including crocodile.

Some weird stuff I have tried: -

Shark fin (once to be informed) tasted like fishy rubber. :puke:
Jelly fish - salty, fishy rubber. :puke:
Sea cucumber slight rubbery texture, pleasant subtle flavour :y:
Horse - sort of like beef but not as nice :n:
Snake - concur with HLDs comment but I couldn't taste it because it was the hottest thing I have ever eaten in my life. It was supposed to cure a nasty head cold. I'm not sure if it did but it certainly changed my focus to a different end of my body ;(
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

TexasAngler

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Interesting topic, being a meat-eater I've always wanted to try Yak...pun intended, but really, it's the leanest meet in Tibet supposedly :P

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:37 pm

TexasAngler wrote:Interesting topic, being a meat-eater I've always wanted to try Yak...pun intended, but really, it's the leanest meet in Tibet supposedly :P
It's probably the only meat in Tibet :lol:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 pm

i've has yak curry in sw china, correct, it was the only meat available :D

TexasAngler

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
TexasAngler wrote:Interesting topic, being a meat-eater I've always wanted to try Yak...pun intended, but really, it's the leanest meet in Tibet supposedly :P
It's probably the only meat in Tibet :lol:
:?: didn't even think of that, well they have horses I reckon in a crunch.

TexasAngler

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:i've has yak curry in sw china, correct, it was the only meat available :D
I don't get curry, I love spicy food, but curry just has this...I don't know, currious taste (who saw what I did there?).

I've had bison jerky, now that's something I love making myself in the oven is jerky, I can make the best venison, beef, turkey jerky and I need to try smoking fish. Saw a thread somewhere on here about that.

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14 pm

This topic reminds me of the days when the wild food festival in Hokitika was a festival of actual wild food. In fact the only thing more wild than the food used to be the characters who sold it. Many of them looked as though they had only just walked out the bush that morning with whatever tasty morsel they were cooking.

I agree with the comments about wallaby, not much flavour but a nice lean meat.
Possum isn't really worth the effort due to the amount of meat you get off one. Also be carefull, like with any meat, that you don't get one that is from a TB area or somewhere that has had a 1080, brodificoum or cholicalciferol drop recently. Better to pluck the fur and sell it to buy some other meat.
Venison is readily available from Silver fern farms or from many of the farmers markets. Farmed is not as flavoursome as wild but is a very good lean meat.
Tahr is a fantastic meat like a very lean lamb. Trick as with any goat is to get a young animal preferably something below breeding age.

One of my favourites would have to have been a dish a mate cooked a while back of young flapper geese (don't ask where these came from, I didn't :tmi: )stuffed with a cream cheese and apricot stuffing then baked in tinfoil on the barbecue.

But probably the most exotic dish was one I had at a banquet in Pakistan. The guide I was with kept telling me what everything that came out was and what was in it until one small covered dish came out. This he only told me the Pakistani name and said "you must try, Pakistani delicacy". He waited until the fork was just about in my mouth before telling me it was curried goats brain. Didn't flinch, just ate it and went back for seconds since no one else wanted to try it. Texture was like semolina and flavour was only really like curried porridge.

Cheers
Dale

TexasAngler

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:12 am

dwmonty wrote:He waited until the fork was just about in my mouth before telling me it was curried goats brain. Didn't flinch, just ate it and went back for seconds since no one else wanted to try it. Texture was like semolina and flavour was only really like curried porridge.

Cheers
Dale
Pan fried cow brain mixed with scrambled eggs is a country dish all over the midwest, deep south, etc, had it a couple times, it's ok, not much flavor honestly. Eating nocturnals would be a do or die scenario, possum has got to be the nastiest creature around these parts, along with Armadillo.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Our possum is different to yours. It's a marsupial, native to Australia. Actually tastes OK.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Spoondogcuz
Kayak Make: Skull
Kayak Model: Stealth

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm with mental on the Albany new world. They get in some interesting meats. Rabbit (both wild and farmed) kangaroo,water buffalo steaks,whole goose($250!) pouson and I've seen croc occasionally. Cooked wild rabbit and it stunk the house out. Farmed rabbit is better

Kia Ora

love 2 fish
Kayak Model: 400, reload

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:41 pm

I sold some crock and kangaroo at paknsave clarence street hamilton. We got a small order it was frozen and didnt sell well at all but did get alot of attention. I think the kangaroo was $42kg and crock $65kg so can understand why it was slow, rabbit pousons and quail went better. All that exotic meat isnt somthing you will find in alot of stores albany sounds the go
apart of the WAIKATO KAYAK FISHING CLUB

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Rabbit and possum are like goats...avoid the stinky ole billies ( bucks ) remove the scent glands from inside the rear legs of the males ,even old females can be "pungent" and dry. Goat is hardly exotic though, We are lucky to have a mate that allows me shooting access on his property , Fallow deer are a "pest" for him,,,,,,yummm! 8)

Glass is Class.. dedant

uktim
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Who doesn't like curry?! :tmi:

Mine only goes towards the English usual....squirrel, rabbit, hare, range of ducks, range of geese (nothing beats goose for Christmas day :* ), pheasant, woodcock, snipe, pheasant, partridge, water buffalo...sure there are a few other things.....(sure I had some Tescos "beef lasagne" a few times!).... but the best I have ever had has to be wood pigeon and grouse. Grouse tasted of heather and was so yummy!
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

• Information