First time fish smoker

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:26 pm

I've never done this, any tips on smoking fish?
What to put on? How long for? And any thing else I don't know please?

JayD

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

I've always put on a generous amount of salt and brown sugar, then rubbed it in gently with my hand. You pretty much find out how much to put on through experimenting and experience because it will depend on what sort of taste you are after, the size and type of fish etc. You can of course add herbs etc too. Depending how pushed I am for time, I would leave it to marinate for anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours. Some leave it to cure overnight. When smoking, you will know when to pull the fish out by looking at the nice brown colour or testing the cooked flesh. Usually cook for 20-40mins depending on the smoker, just keep checking.

Have always used Manuka.

Everyone will have their different ways, but really just try a few and the only way to judge the best way for you is by using your mouth :lol: and finding out what you like.

Recently been taking my smoked fish, poaching it, then drooling butter over it....sooooo good!! (Mouth is literally watering now)

Badassfisher

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Yum. Thanks Jayd :beer:

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Time smoking completely depends on the heat. The hotter it is, the less time needed. What type of smoker do you have?
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Badassfisher

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:23 pm

It's called oven master

Badassfisher

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Shiny :y:
Attachments
smoker.jpg
smoker.jpg (149.58 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Last edited by Badassfisher on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snap 4T
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 pm

We have similar one at work and normally it took about 15 minutes,
again depends how thick is the fish and how much saw dust you put in there.

JayD

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 pm

No worries, but I should have mentioned I have mainly used a biggish smoke house at my parents home kill butchery, so smoke time is likely to be a bit longer than in the smaller smoker. Easiest thing to do is just keep checking it until you get used to your smoker.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Yup. 15 mins in the small ones. I do 2-4 hours in my charcoal one

Sent from my iPhone
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm

i've only done a few batches on the smoker, but i've learned so far is that demerara sugar and salt are good on the fish. i also add chilli flakes for a bit of a zing. kahawai is excellent, but everyone knows that, and the smoker is a good way to deal with snapper wings, frames and ribs.

i also use manuka chippings and you don't need very much at all. thicker pieces of fish can take 30 minutes plus.

my smoker is the small, steel box variety. i stick it straight on the gas BBQ, can't be bothered with that meths malarkey.

JayD

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Another tip is smoke the head too, some great eating there!!! :)

Badassfisher

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:00 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:i've only done a few batches on the smoker, but i've learned so far is that demerara sugar and salt are good on the fish. i also add chilli flakes for a bit of a zing. kahawai is excellent, but everyone knows that, and the smoker is a good way to deal with snapper wings, frames and ribs.

i also use manuka chippings and you don't need very much at all. thicker pieces of fish can take 30 minutes plus.

my smoker is the small, steel box variety. i stick it straight on the gas BBQ, can't be bothered with that meths malarkey.

That looks so good AndrewRawlingson

paul77
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt, cobra marauder

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:21 pm

i like to only fill the meth container about a third full at a time , that way it takes a bit longer but a little cooler so more time for smoke to get in before fish is over cooked . And leave the lid on smoker for a few minutes after flame has gone out so you dont lose too much smoke .

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:05 pm

When using a small stainless steel smoker then I only smoke for 10 or so minutes . When I crank my Bradleys smoker up ill be smoking for 6 or 8 hours .
Stock standard ingredients are salt and brown sugar but I use combination of ingredients like onion powder , garlic powder , white pepper , Demerara cure from Bradleys , salt and my secret natural dark Muscovada brown sugar ( gives the fish a nice dark colour ) .
I like to cure my fish where I can for between 24 and 48 hours .

• Information