View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Cold smoking with ufo 

Post Cold smoking with ufo
Oh k so I got my grubby mits on a ufo cold smoke generator which I mounted on my bbq. I plan on putting some of my home made bacon and different cheeses in there to slowly smoke away.
Has anyone had much experience with a cold smoker and doing cheeses and bacon? Any tips and tricks appreciated
Cheers

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk 2

The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

PBs still to come ..... Hopefully

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Post Re: Cold smoking with ufo
There was another post about that somewhere??? You have to post a pic if you do some venison bacon :inlove: :inlove: Oh man im hungry now......

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 pm

I would happily do some venison bacon if I could find someone to supply me with venison:grin: its hard enough trying to find good venison salami

The secret of life is to have a great sense of humour, and a wicked dirty mind! ;-)

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 am

I have use the ufo for cheese and find it great, depends on the wood chips you use. Had a chicken in there as well and that came out great.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:24 pm

How long do you smoke cheeses?
A whole chicken????or just pieces
Its the whole timing of it that worries me as if its in too long its just going ruin all flavour from anything that's in there.... time for a little trial and error me thinks :beer: :beer: and a few beers to help with the logical thinking :y:

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Now here's where the problems start! How many beers does it take to reach maximum logical thinking?? :rofl: :rofl:

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm

6 home brew quart beers and logic is no longer part of the equation

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

so the smoking went quite well the cheese took about 3 hrs and the bacon and sausages took about 8hrs.
I removed the tinfoil under the sausages so they could get a good even smoke ..... Im not sure what my thinking was to have it there in the first place
My only issue with the cold smoker is that the wood chips started burning in the cylinder before they reached the bottom.. :swear: .so all the smoke started coming out the top of the cylinder instead of into the bbq.... if that makes sense
Still comes out brilliant tho :y:

Attachments:
File comment: starting off
20130803_102632.jpg
[ Viewed 1017 times ]
File comment: all done!! cheese waxed and bacon has a top notch flavour the mussels didn't really take the flavour too well but they still tasted good
20130803_160443.jpg
[ Viewed 1017 times ]

Profish440 MiniyakII
Profish 400 Miniyak
Profish400 Springbokkie

ZMW6010

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi, I smoke cheese on a s/steel rack for about 4 hours. The smoke gets in all around. I do 2 kgs at a time, and mix a little macadamia nut shell in with the sawdust, this gives a stronger flavour. I cut the 1kg block into 6 equal pieces and turn over, half way thru the smoke, this gives an even result. I store the cheese in the nz made clip type lunch boxes, but let the pieces rest in the fridge for a few hours after smoking in case they are a bit moist. Cheese should be then left for at least a day in the fridge to let the flavour penetrate, if you can resist. Cheese stored in the boxes last for months, also if you buy and store cheese still sealed in the fridge for at least 6 months, it matures much better, this I was told by someone on the cheese board. Use by dates I do not worry about, in the USA, I believe cheese only have manufactures date and not a use by date. Good luck.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Oh man that looks good! Nicely done miniyac!! Noticed there was no After pics of the mussles lols

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:51 pm