Parore

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 pm

I've had mixed comments about these fish and how they taste. I've just caught my first one today and want to try it and I was hoping someone on here can tell me ways of cooking it please?

Cheers

Cho

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm

treat it like any other fish, wrap it in foil and bake it with some herbs and lemon slices in it's guts.
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Take the guts and black gut cavity lining out as soon as landed, they taste pretty good. They were my daughters favourite fish, called them Tuatua fish due to the flavour.

(But then there's few things I haven't/won't eat :D )
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Take the guts and black gut cavity lining out as soon as landed, they taste pretty good. They were my daughters favourite fish, called them Tuatua fish due to the flavour.

Used to spear them around floating jetties in paihia as a kid. Gut asap, and downwind, and they are great eating. Vegetarian fish. Caught on hooks with lettuce. No seriously. Lettuce. Deserve to be eaten, stupid vegetarians...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

hardyak
Kayak Make: P13

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am

Kind of in the goat catergory would be thinking...was long ago...
Follow the goat thread near here.
Possibly head down to Mc D...& have a big kiwi breakfast & read the paper.
Eating a vege ( in this day & age ) ....now that would require a bit of thought...
Might get the protesters out.
Much luck.

YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Well I tried it cooked in the oven yesterday and decided from then on that the buggers can go back. Thanks to the members who commented. Caught a big one from the yak and let it go today. Believe it or not I caught the vegeterian on a pink lizard.

BigDave

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm

You cooked fillets in the oven? I wouldn't suggest eating the whole fish, just the fillets. They are pretty grubby fish. The gutting thing asap is because they REALLY sick if you don't. Doesn't mean that was the end of it. Weird that you got one on a pink lizard tho. Must a been a weekday vegetarian.

WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

Hughesey
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:52 pm

They are a very common catch around the mussel farms in coromandel, you can see them on a clear water day. Same as above, gut them straight away. We just fillet them the same as a snapper, bit of lemon pepper on the fillets, fried, beauty.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:02 am

Those stink guts fish (vego's ) like Parore , drummer and mullet-iki into Salt ice slurry quicksmart , same as all fish for good eating, then fillet off the outside without touching the gut cavity .
Saves tainting it with the calf Shit lining on Drummer and black stuff on others :y:

They are often dense oily flesh and brilliant for smoking-

Personally wouldn't touch anything out of polluted inshore harbours or marinas as they graze anti fouled hulls and contaminated weed, algae :puke:
From clean water areas no worries.
Bit like Eels from muddy streams v/s clear shingle bottom ones, different as chalk and cheese , look at their habitat& diet source.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

We used to catch Parore as kids on pipi baits under a float, or on green streamer flies. They aren't strictly herbivores, they graze animals like barnacles and small shellfish as well.

Often with fish like this flavour depends on what they have been eating. Much nicer out of a salt water reef than a brackish creek. There is no size limit for paroroe so I would be inclined to fillet immediately, without cutting through the ribs, and chill the fillets in salt ice. Skin em when you get home.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Big Dave

What era were you in Paihia , I lived there 85-89 when Max Coxhead was the principal at Paihia primary school . I spent a lot of time fishing on the wharf at Paihia , we used to call parore , shit fish . Good wharf for catching John Dory Paihia .

BigDave

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Necro post, didn't see this question back in the day... yeah didn't go to school there, just there every weekend at grandparents. Moved there later and finished school at Keri high in 95.
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:31 pm

BigDave wrote:
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Take the guts and black gut cavity lining out as soon as landed, they taste pretty good. They were my daughters favourite fish, called them Tuatua fish due to the flavour.

Used to spear them around floating jetties in paihia as a kid. Gut asap, and downwind, and they are great eating. Vegetarian fish. Caught on hooks with lettuce. No seriously. Lettuce. Deserve to be eaten, stupid vegetarians...

Big Dave what era did you live in Paihia , I lived there in the early 80's and went to Paihia Primary School when the principal was Max Coxhead ???

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:33 pm

I bought some parore or black snapper, smoked it and gave it to my workmates. They said it was delicious! I never told them it was parore :lol:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information