Yummy/Awful uncommon fish

For the discussion of how you cook your catch, post your favorite recipes in here for all to try
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:mullet is very good if caught from open water. most anglers in the UK don't regard it as edible because the ones caught on rod/line are usually taken from muddy estuaries or near sewerage outlets!
I've eaten a lot of mullet fillets in my time, when I was unemployed and living in kohukohu on the hokianga harbour it was a staple food for the family :rock: The trick with "muddy" mullet is to fillet them while fresh as and not get any of the gut mud on the fillets as once its on there the taste won't wash off :puke:

hardyak
Kayak Make: P13

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Caught star gazer 2 or 3 times at Marsden cross over the years when stopped for lunch or overnight...also seen them there diving.
Scooped a couple out of the soft sand in estuary entrance at Tups with hands whilst playing with the kids in there.
They like to get buried right into the sand.
They sure are ugly.
Always let them go...maybe have 2 try one next time.

salty
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler 13

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 am

Loving this thread!

Being of European decent, monkfish and salmon get my vote every time for favourites (not that I've caught either in the Hauraki Gulf!)

For 'never go there again', first up is Goat fish - what was I thinking. It was such a nice red colour I thought it must be nice to eat. How wrong was I.
Secondly, Octopus. Not a target species but I snagged on all the same. Cooked by someone with half a brain, I love octopus. Cooked by me - Nah

DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Hot Smoked Blue Mao Mao is among some of the best i've had...
I used to think of them as a hassle catching when targeting snaps but was advised to try it and I was hooked!

The worst I've EVER had was an overcooked Monk fish.. chewy as :swear: and tasted like old farmers boot scrapings :puke:
Hobie Out Back 2017

TasB
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 13

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I caught a Thrasher shark in my set net once. Felt really bad about it as they are one of the coolest looking sharks I've seen so not to be wasteful took it home and filleted it up. Had one feed of it, tasted like shit, gave the rest away :P . That was the last time I ever put a set net out.
Roooor roooor squeak squeak rooor rooor

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Kerry wrote:
AndrewRawlingson wrote:mullet is very good if caught from open water. most anglers in the UK don't regard it as edible because the ones caught on rod/line are usually taken from muddy estuaries or near sewerage outlets!
I've eaten a lot of mullet fillets in my time, when I was unemployed and living in kohukohu on the hokianga harbour it was a staple food for the family :rock: The trick with "muddy" mullet is to fillet them while fresh as and not get any of the gut mud on the fillets as once its on there the taste won't wash off :puke:
Yup thats the same with Drummer , the thick yellow( calf sh--) looking stomach lining taints it but carefully cleaned and on salt ice straight away the Fillets are ok.
Aussies rate them :y:

Pinkies are real good and challenge as deeper Freedive req. to get them and they're cunning and slide deeper still luring you down.

Butterfish is one I rate highly and one fish that freezes and still good also ,reckon they'll discover they are full of something good for you one day as they eat nothing but the best Kelp tips.

CosMikos
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Rig shark/lemonfish. Absolutely awesome taste. Only caught one, and that was surfcasting at Port Waikato, bit interesting to land one in a yak though :lol:
Music is about listening, the more you play, the more the magic spreads. - Maynard James Keenan

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah, i love gummy shark too! Big fillets

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: RELOAD

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 pm

KARMA bro as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark :lol: :lol:
Profish RELOAD
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Ruff as Gutts

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Yeah, :) might come back and bite my arse. I've not caught one from the yak, just surfcasting

MarcG_NZ
Kayak Make: Perception

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 pm

sk8e8 wrote:I must say though, I've had smoked mako, and I rate that in my top 3 smoked fish!
:y:

My wife caught a 5-6ft mako on her softbait set one time. We smoked it up and it was absolutely awesome. One of the most delicious smoked fish I have ever had.
Paddling a mighty Perception Swing

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:31 am

I've had mako in the US. It was very good, similar to swordfish. Would never kill a big beastie like that these days though (personal choice).

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Dinner tonight - and on Wednesday night, too - was broadbill steaks in crisp caper lemon sauce.

My favourite meal of the moment. Even though it had been frozen for some months in a freezer pack, the meat was a great texture (like veal), and the flavour's like a cross between fish and veal. Mega-yum.

No, the swordy was caught off boat, not kayak - and I really have no idea how you would actually boat one of these big mommas, or even handle her - kayak fishing. It was 15 hours of stubborn heavy pulling from the 38ft launch a few months ago.

Swainsnow
Kayak Make: Not yet
Kayak Model: Not yet
VHF Call Sign: Not yet

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Found ling need a day or so on ice to firm up. Steak and barbecue or fry.
Small mako, steak and barbecue. Sometimes were sold as broadbill in USA.
Small hammerhead, steak and barbecue.
Scallops, mussels and most shellfish on barbecue.
Have only ever landed small hammerheads or mako on small vessels. Mako aren’t very happy to be on board.
One skipper I worked for preferred the thresher(whip tail) for taking home.
Salt dried hake was like candy for some of us.
Smoked skate was not great but not foul.

Swainsnow
Kayak Make: Not yet
Kayak Model: Not yet
VHF Call Sign: Not yet

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Tuna jerky prepared by crew on tuna boat. Skipjack marinated and dried in tropical sun
I got the idea from them and tried Trevally jerky. Was past terrible so when visiting another boat asked how long to marinate tuna. 15/20 minutes was guessed,so I’m sure my attempt of 24 hours marinating did it no good.
Julio the cook fixed tuna hearts and stomachs on the barbecue and were surprisingly good. This from a man who started his cooking career by catching the guinea pig so had experience in making things we are not used to taste good. If he could have developed presentation like the Japanese it would have had more eye appeal.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Old thread, but interesting none the less.

Not a fish, but as others have mentioned stuff other than fish, my all time favorite is Abalone (Pāua) and alikreukel (Giant Periwinkle, don't think you find them in NZ). Best meat on the planet in my opinion!!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information