Get the ball rolling

The Wellington Kayak Fishing Club forum for club and member discussions
Yakhard
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: TBA

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey guys

I am about to move to Wellington for work, and have a close relationship with the kayak fishing industry

I thought I would post here to see who is keen to get a managed club going. None of this secretary/treasurer stuff, just a good group of people who are keen to go fishing and upskill in both paddling and fishing.

I, for one, dont know much about wellington spots, but I do know heaps about fishing, kayaking and boat setup.

Would be dead keen to get something happening, happy to organise.

Anyone keen?
Cheers
Todd

oldwetfish
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: TI
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4324

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Good on ya Todd.

I hope you get the same level of support you did when you were up here.
Regards
Matt!

P.s. if you are ever up here feel free to look me up, I sometime have a spare seat on the new Waka

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am

Gl to ya mate :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

doubletrouble
Kayak Make: Perception
Kayak Model: Swing 470

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Todd
Pretty quiet down here but have a look at the "Makara/Harbour Shennanigans' forum in the Wgtn regional section. There are a few experienced and newbies around willing to get together. I suggested a possible meeting to share ideas, locations, tips etc. a couple of days ago. Just waiting to see if enough people reply.
The fishing in Wgtn has rarely let me down, I'm sure you'll like it
Peter

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Todd

Would be keen . Are you going to be working in a yak shop down this way?????

Greg
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Yakhard

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Probly not working in a shop, ie not getting paid.

Planning on operating a club in conjunction with a shop, but it wont be a commercial or money making venture. It is just good to have the backing of a shop for gear, loaning kayaks to newbs and to tick any boxes that might arise.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest so far. Reading through the forums it seems that this idea has been tried before with no luck.

I am dead keen to get this started. Clubs are an awesome way of meeting people, and provide a framework where it is easier to go fishing with your mates, even if its not a planned club trip.

Maybe we just start by going for a fish and a yarn, then go from there.

I get to wellington on the 14th and don't know anyone so might spend my time fishing. Have to wait for my kayak to be shipped from auckland but I have a few i can use for now.

fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 am

I'm always keen on getting out with a good bunch. (though said it multiple times – I'm "landlocked" in the moment) If you're thinking off snooping around Lyall bay, Moa point and Barrett's reef you can pretty much always count on me (though weekends and evenings only)
And a beer on any evening when you're around :beer: !

K

oldwetfish

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

todd,
last thing i remember you didn't have a yak.
What has changed, what are you padling now?

sorry for the off topic.

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 am

Its doable but wellie is quite spread out - more like a bunch of villages connected loosely. Then there is the variable weather - when its on its on but..... When its off - we stay inside....

I'd support a club - hell, I'd even join it but I have bugger all spare time and lots of hobbies....

CoolBoy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Hey Todd,

I'd be keen, but as you have noticed there is a limited number of people down here. Personally I think the fishing here is fantastic, but the weather does tend to put people off. Still, you can generally find a sheltered spot if you look hard enough. I think the meet up for a fish and yarn and see how things go philosophy is a winner. See how much momentum you get from there.

Cheers,
Anthony

Yakhard

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey OWF, i brought that expedition, its being shipped as we speak. Got it for a great price too so im a happy camper.
Cockpit.jpg
Cobra Expedition AKA the dreadnought
Cockpit.jpg (54.71 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

oldwetfish

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Nice,
I hope the sails don't have you in the water quite as much as your trip around coromandel.
That said, good pick, it is a good fast seaworthy boat, and With the sail it does a fair mileage.

Maybe we should compare notes shortly, as 'Te Waka Nui' (the big canoe) is about to get a re- launch.

I will be probably setting up a blog web page, but I might post a sneak preview shortly.

A little info.
22 railblaza starports, lowrance gps down imaging sonar, custom built rod mounts, etc etc.
I might have one or two spare starports when I am finished, so let me know, and I will courier them down to you.

Yakhard

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Im not going to use the sail for fishing, only for touring. It gets in the way too much, and leads to alot of time in the water.

Yup they are a good beast. Nice and light too -about 22kgs.

Some drawbacks tho - Terrible in surf, and terrible with a following sea. The cockpit is below the waterline to make it stable and it drains through a stainless steel venturi. With a big following sea the venturi cant really keep up and you get 4 inches of water at your feet.

Suprisingly I have had very little interest in the idea of a club. I dont mind, Il go fishing anyway, but i like safety in numbers, especially when in a new location and new conditions

t

Cassels
Kayak Model: Swing

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi,
Thought this might end up being our club forum page so I thought I'd put the word out that I want to venture to Pukerua Bay or Kapiti this weekend for a fish. If the swell is up there I'll resort to a spot around Wellington or even Makara.
Who's keen to get out for a fish this weekend anyway? I don't go out on my own as a general rule.
I'll flick a text through to the kapiti guys and see if they are planing anything, and if so I'll hopefylly link up with them for some kapiti coast snapper.

Otherwise I'm keen to get out in Lyall Bay any evening after work that you're goin FatBob.

Good fishin,
Andrew

fatbob
Kayak Model: PF 400

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 am

Yep, I'm all up in arms again (still suffering a bit of snot-nose)… Weather looks s**t though and the forecast isn't too good either. Will let you know if I'm out on a short notice

K

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Weather looks like shit and tides don't look kind.

Weekend of the 24th/25th looks better tide wise but really - if the goal is a get together it matters not. Vicki and I could be talked into it with enough notice ;-)

Yakhard

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Hey andrew

Unfortunately i don't have a kayak yet, and no roof racks either. But next weekend/week, hopefully all will be well and Il def be keen for a midweeker/weekend fish

my number is 0274162380 for those going for a fish!

Cheers
Todd

Cassels
Kayak Model: Swing

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm planing to go out for a fish in Pukerua Bay on Saturday morning. Anyone keen?

CoolBoy

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 pm

I believe I would be interested. Would there be any chance of a ride or shall I try organise a car? Will flick a txt your way tomorrow - I'll likely not be able to check the forums again until the weekend.
Cheers,
Anthony

Danfili
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 pm

I would have been keen mate but the mother in law is leaving this weekend so i better hang around home :$ , havent been out for a while too many bloody hobbies
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Wellington Kayak Fishing Club”

• Information