FF/GPS Combos

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 am

What's everyone running these days?

My faithful Elite has just lost the screen and not confident it'll be repairable.
Ideally will be able to swap out the Navionics card into the new unit.

So, at the junction whereby I can go Lowrance/HB or Garmin... What's on your boat, and would you choose differently now you've had a play with it?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

Good question. My Humminbird 597 is hanging on despite a few close calls. Love that unit. If you find a model where the electrical connectors are integrated in to the mount, please share. I think Humminbird really missed a trick by scrapping that design.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm in the market for a new unit, something with side scanning & maybe optional - writing maps

Not too sure about the big bloody transducer (lowrance ti2) & how its mounted on my reload

I do like this as protection from beach launches
https://www.berleypro.com/product/berle ... its-hobie/

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:12 pm

i know everyone has a bad news story about every brand of sounder in the market

while it has some quirks and the software interface is a bit 'paint by numbers', i would encourage you to look at any of the Mega+ imaging humminbird units

i have owned a 5", two 7", and now a 10" helix all with side imaging and i would recommend any of them

get the biggest screen that your budget allows in my view

very good post sale support for humminbird in NZ in my experience

dont get a touch screen on a kayak - fine on a large vessel when it is not going to get wet

hummingbird probably aren't the right choice for offshore/deep water work, but for inshore work i think they are pretty good and Mega/Mega+ side imaging is incredible for shallow water work in a kayak

i know you pay a premium for humminbird but overall i am happy with them and my next depth sounder would be another HB Helix
Viking Reload (2019)

SitDown

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:32 pm

can you post a shot of the hummingbird transducer setup in your reload

lespresso

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:54 pm

i had a bit of stainless sheet welded to some 5mm threaded rod

if you want me to remove the transducer and take images of that i can fairly easily
IMG_2430.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2432.jpeg
Viking Reload (2019)

lespresso

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 pm

58846038050__90A1A5E5-8C9E-4B94-8131-FBC89A060243.jpg
this is the same design that i used with the same transducer on my previous kayak, but i had a slightly larger made for the reload
Viking Reload (2019)

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Damn, that's tidy lespresso! If someone was to breed a Viking Reload with a Predator PDL, I'd be saying take my money!

lespresso

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:02 pm

did you know that the full sized wheeleez fit in the forward hatch of a reload?
IMG_2429.jpeg
Last edited by lespresso on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viking Reload (2019)

SitDown

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:25 pm

lespresso wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:54 pm
i had a bit of stainless sheet welded to some 5mm threaded rod

if you want me to remove the transducer and take images of that i can fairly easily
yeah mate :y:

lespresso

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:31 pm

i think you need to know how my transducer looked when it was supplied from humminbird; with a conventional transom mount bracket for a powerboat (NB: the cable on my transducer comes up vertically/right angles from the top of the transducer - it is not at the shallower angle shown in the image below)
1102961_primary.jpg
this was difficult to make use of in a kayak scupper hole type mount so i unscrewed the 6 screws securing the metal bracket to the top of the transducer

then i reversed the transducer so the aft was nearest the bow so the transducer cable is now directly below the scupper hole so it is free to go straight up through the scupper hole, rather than being bent at a tight angle close to the hull to run forward before it can get to the scupper hole and go up, but you will need to select 'reverse mount transducer' in the software options if you choose to do it this way

then i had the metal bracket you see in the image three above made up (the second one i had made for the Reload is the same design but with the threaded rod welded on a different distance from the front of the stainless sheet to get the cable directly below the scupper

the second time around we also used a slightly thicker gauge of stainless sheet time to stop it distorting with the heat of the weld and also threaded a nut onto the bottom of the threaded rod to make the weld easier)

we reused the same screws from the original bracket to screw it back onto the transducer and coiled the excess cable up in the large void in the bottom of the tackle pod where a non side imaging transducer would normally be placed and then pushed the threaded top up the scupper hole and used the scupper mount plate that comes in many kayak transducer mounting kits with a wing nut turned down the threaded rod to hold it tight. i did not silicon anything as i want the water to run out of the large void above the transducer before i load it into the boot of my car

if you need the actual shot of all that i will unscrew it for you tomorrow, but it is very simple once you've seen it
Viking Reload (2019)

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:34 pm

Well just splashed out on a Helix 7 Have run Lowrance since my first sounder (X48 Google it if you want a laugh!) so decided it was time for a change of decor on the boat.

Nice fitout Lespresso :y:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

SitDown

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:38 pm

lespresso wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:31 pm

if you need the actual shot of all that i will unscrew it for you tomorrow, but it is very simple once you've seen it
yes please

thanks for going through the hassle with the details, really appreciate it

SitDown

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 pm

HLD, in the end, what was it that swayed you towards the Helix 7
In that price range, Garmin & Lowrance are there too

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:14 am

45% off was the big influence ($700 at Smart), and the Lowrance & Garmins I looked at with comparable pricing were either 5" or didn't take Navionics.

lespresso

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:28 pm

this is all you need i think - yell if you need more
IMG_2438.jpeg
IMG_2434.jpeg
congrats on the Helix 7 purchase HLD - which model did you go for?
Viking Reload (2019)

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Just the vanilla chirp combo. Have used DI and not overly fussed, SI a bit of overkill as I know the regular patch I fish pretty well.
Wanted the chart capability for those odd times I venture out of the backyard (My yak is a phone-free zone)

lespresso

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 pm

good stuff hld. always nice getting a new piece of kit.
Viking Reload (2019)

SitDown

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:47 pm

lespresso wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:28 pm
this is all you need i think - yell if you need more
what is the up side down flying saucer thingy below the wind nut ?

I can knock up the stainless setup with the threaded rod at work, probably 2mm is good enough thickness ?

the only thing I do not like is that the transducer sits below the tackle pod, which is easy enough to forget its exposed to any knocks or scrapes
where I fish in my summer spot, the water I go thru when I short cut it, can be 30cm & shallower in places as the tide rises. The volcanic rock & oysters can be very unforgiving to the hull..... so I found out

just looking at the way the transducer sits the way it does, ideally, it would be better if the transducer sat contained within the pod....somehow..... knowing there's probably some loss of the transducers capabilities.... if buggar all, who cares.
Really need some clever minds working together to figure that out.....

lespresso

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:31 pm

hi sitdown

the bit you are trying to identify comes from here:

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/transduc ... DgQAvD_BwE

there is a lowarance equivalent here:

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/lowrance ... -mount-kit

all you need to do is cut yourself a disk in stainless sheet that is thick enough not to bend when the wing nut is tightened down by hand against it

the disk just needs a hole drilled in the centre just large enough for the threaded rod to pass through and then cut a slot in from the outer edge of the disk towards the centre slightly larger than the diameter of your transducer cable and file the edges smooth so there is no risk of your cable being sliced

your question about the vulnerable position of the transducer; well it depends whether your transducer offers side imaging or not

any transducer thats offers side imaging needs to be below the keel line and you just have to be mindful of it

if you dont have side imaging then of course the ideal place for the transducer is up in the recess created for that very purpose in the bottom of the tackle pod

reiss.
Viking Reload (2019)

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information