Lowrance FF Questions

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Polwarth

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi team, I have a Lowrance Elite 3x FF and just wondered ... when I see an arch on the screen which starts on the right and moves across to the left, at what point is the target under the Yak? And is it directly below the transducer , in front or or behind?

Google and Youtube have not been overly helpful.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 pm

The highest part of the arch is when the fish is closest to you.
It can still be off to one side, or in front/behind you - but the peak is when it's closest to the yak.

Realtime is on the far right of the screen - everything else that is tracking across is history.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 am

Polwarth wrote: ... when I see an arch on the screen which starts on the right and moves across to the left, at what point is the target under the Yak?
The very first column of pixels on the right edge of the screen is what the sounder is detecting at that very moment (it is the "now" part of the image). The sounder then sends out another pulse and this becomes the first column of pixels while the previous column move a step to the left and the process repeats. Looking at the image on the screen, the further you look to the left the further back in time you're looking at what WAS below the kayak (this is the"history" part of the image going back in time).

Building this into HLD's correct comment that the top of the arch is when the target is closest to the transducer, when the right hand edge of the screen shows the top of the arch the object is closest to the kayak right now. As soon as that first column of pixels shows the arch beginning to tail off the object is beginning to move further away from the transducer. As soon as the arch is complete and the image is scrolling to the left the object is no longer in the sounder beam and the unit is unable to detect it (if it could it would still be drawing a line).

To create an arch the fish, the kayak, or both must be moving so the fish passes through the beam and out the other side. As short steep arch means the fish passed through the beam quickly. An extended flatter looking arch means the fish passed through the beam much more slowly. A continuous line still being drawn at the right-most edge of the screen means the fish is still being detected in the sounder beam.

Hopefully this makes sense. For me personally the key is remembering the screen moving to the left is going back into history, NOT distance as most anglers I talk to think of it.

Stephen Tapp
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Polwarth

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks guys much clearer idea of what I am doing now, can't wait to get out on the water and put my new knowledge into action

Nemesis
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 pm

The other thing to add to what has already been mentioned is that the transducer projects as a cone, with a defined beam angle.
Beam width depends on lots of things, like frequency and transducer model, but it's worth remembering that the whats on the screen can be quite a way from you depending on the depth and frequency and transducer.
The transducer with your unit is 83/200 kHz and the details for using it at 20 meters depth are -
Frequency Angle Beamwidth
200kHz 22° 8m

Frequency Angle Beamwidth
83kHz 52° 20m

What this means is that if you are using the 83kHz frequency and you are fishing in 20 metres of water you are looking at a circle of information that is 20m diameter on the seafloor.
Equally it's worth remembering that if the fish is 5 metres down, it's inside a 5m diameter.
Unfortunately there's no way of being able to tell where in the "cone" the fish is.
Use 200 kHz in shallow water, down to 100m, gives a better detail and clarity.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

• Information