Garmin 45 DV - Clicking sound

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Ali_NZ
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Hiya, recently I finished installing my new Garmin 45DV, when i turned it for the first time i don't remember taking notice of any clicking sound.. a few days later went for an evening fish. Around 11pm when it was absolutely quiet, i could hear quite a noticeable clicking sound coming from the unit.. Next day i took it back to Burnsco, the staff hooked it up on their display power and tested with a bucket of water, interestingly the noise from the display unit was very minimal, absolutely no clicking sound from the display unit at all. But when they put my unit on, the noise would be much louder and you could hear the noise from the unit itself as well in exact same rhythym as the transducer.. After a few combinations of different transducer/unit, they established something wasn't right with the unit and possibly transducer so they sent the unit and transducer back to Garmin. 3 days later i.e. today i got full replacement with another brand new unit.
Now I just finished wiring this one up and turned it on for the first time with the tranducer in a bucket of water. Initially there was no sound from the unit itself and a very vague sound from the tranducer but about 30 seconds later transducer became louder and unit started making same patterned clicking sound as well. Especially when i turn to 77hz, it clicks much faster and louder..
The clicking sound is continuous for a couple of seconds and then it kinda blinks like morse code for the next couple of seconds before going continuous again. This corresponds to the speed of the display moving right to left.
Is this sound normal? Should the unit make the same patterned clicking sound as well?
Would great appreciate thoughts as i am learning about the unit since this is my first proper upgraded sounder.. And am worried if there's something wrong, i don't wanna end up frying something up..
Thanks
Ali

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 am

given the guys at burnsco thought that there was an issue with the first unit. i would take your whole setup to burnsco and get them to check the unit while on the yak. see if there is anything that you have done wrong or neglected to do. (not that i think that is that case as they are generally pretty straight forward to install)
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Ali_NZ
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Dreadfish wrote:given the guys at burnsco thought that there was an issue with the first unit. i would take your whole setup to burnsco and get them to check the unit while on the yak. see if there is anything that you have done wrong or neglected to do. (not that i think that is that case as they are generally pretty straight forward to install)
Garmin asked for a video of the problem so have sent it off to them and CC'd burnsco as well.. The first unit we hooked up to burnsco's display power and tried their transducer as well, only my unit was found with the noise.. But good point, will have a chat with the team @ Burnsco.

• Information