Best location for Bixpy battery?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
thenthingsgotweird
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Hi all,
I'm aiming to install a Bixpy on my Reload, and wondered where is the best place to put the battery?

I see many are installed on the front hatch, presumably to because chillpods get in the way. But some online material shows the battery in the back fish well.

I used a chill bag, not chillpod, so could install in the back tray. Does anyone know if there are issues with this? Does it get in the way under a fish chill bag? Does the battery heat up much and heat the fish?

Thanks in advance.
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

How waterproof is the battery? Would it not get really wet in the rear well (rather than just splashed a bit on the front hatch).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
thenthingsgotweird

Casualtyward wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:07 pm How waterproof is the battery? Would it not get really wet in the rear well (rather than just splashed a bit on the front hatch).
Apparently it should be alright in the water. From their website:
"The Bixpy Outboard Batteries are fully waterproof and corrosion resistant in addition to being buoyant..."
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

The o ring sealed connectors on the Bixpy terminals should avoid any cross current between opposing conductors
Chucking the battery in the front hatch would still be my pick though, and helps trim the hull too.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:43 pm The o ring sealed connectors on the Bixpy terminals should avoid any cross current between opposing conductors
Chucking the battery in the front hatch would still be my pick though, and helps trim the hull too.
From my sailing days, centre of gravity was a consideration, and even now, I think of this when loading my Kayak. I try to keep all the heavy stuff about the middle, fore~aft wise.

I would imagine that the bixby motor itself, is on the stern. If it were me, I'd put the battery in the front hatch, but back towards the middle some way, in order to keep the bow up.

Just my opinion.

Another opinion, if I could afford a bixby and it's bits and a new 'yak, I'd go the extra mile and get an old town predator pdl.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Nemesis
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 15

A chap I fish with has his battery in the stern, under his kill bag. No apparent issues with heat bleeding through the insulated bag lining, or overheating of the battery. I think the weight is negligible and doesn't appear to alter the balance of his Reload.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.
thenthingsgotweird

Nemesis wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:38 am A chap I fish with has his battery in the stern, under his kill bag. No apparent issues with heat bleeding through the insulated bag lining, or overheating of the battery. I think the weight is negligible and doesn't appear to alter the balance of his Reload.
Awesome, thanks Nemesis!
Swainsnow
Kayak Model: Pro 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMP4225

Mine sits vertically strapped behind the seat. Power cord just long enough from there and I usually charge it in place which saves having to unplug it. it doesn't seem to mind the fresh water wash down either. The position was not my idea as I borrowed it from someone on here I think.

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”