Fish finder recommendations

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Waverley Yakman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Everyone, I am after your recommendations for a new Fishfinder/GPS. The last 2 Lowrance units both died after approx 3 years each. I was very happy with their performance but both died from salt water ingress. I remove the fishfinder for launching and landing in the surf and take reasonable care. At this stage I am looking at either Garmin Striker 4CV or Raymarine Dragonfly 5 Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers Steve

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:30 am

I'm very happy with my Garmin Striker 7sv Plus.

Notes ::

if you buy this make sure it's the "Striker' and "SV" and "Plus" you are buying, previous models with very similar names, are lacking in whizzos.

On the plus side, it always works, 'side view' is a charm, and with tinkering of the settings I can make it look nearly as good as the promo photos...
ggg.jpg
ggg.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 83 times
I had it in my smaller yak mounted on the floor it was always getting wet and has been submersed on several occasions, with a bit of vaseline on the cable ends and the socket pins, no problems with water proofing. "The waterproof rating is set at IP-X7, so you do not have to worry about rain or accidental splashes. Moreover, Striker 7sv can also be fully immersed in 3.3ft of water for up to 30 minutes without any negative consequences."
garmin02.jpg
garmin02.jpg (146.72 KiB) Viewed 85 times
What I really like is the Quick Draw Maps and the Active Captain software, I can map my spots and so on, to supposedly 1 ft increments, and change the colours from the 'merican lake fishing ones to ones more similar to traditional charts.
garmin01.jpg
garmin01.jpg (246.58 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Uploading them to Quick Draw Maps online, enables online viewing of mine and other's and comparison to the Active Captain Community navigation charts.

Here's Lake Pupuke -
Garmin06.jpg
Garmin06.jpg (199.62 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Around Auckland
Garmin07.jpg
Garmin07.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Charts at the Active Captain Community online
Garmin08.jpg
Garmin08.jpg (281.57 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Garmin09.jpg
Garmin09.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 85 times
I saved for months to buy this and researched the bejeezus out of it, I'd buy from Garmin as the prices are the same as the shops.

I got a handheld GPS the other day and the review I wrote holds for this one too, "Generally excellent hardware and feature filled software, but clunky. But once you've figured out the software and the disparate web site offerings, it all works well."

The menu structure is always accessed the same way, but is different in content, depending on where you are, like having the same menu for your kitchen and bathroom, but different options when you're in them.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/592111

This isn't a promo for Garmin, other than that, it is one of the few things I've bought in recent years, that actually substantially does what it says on the tin.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Waverley Yakman
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Awesome feedback thanks Marc

SitDown

Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:04 pm

Find a transducer that fits within the tacklpod scupper, some are huge
Go for the best transducer power output
Garmin Striker 4CV has a 300w transducer, unsure on the Dragonfly
Most entry level transducers are 200w, mid range is 500w like Marc`s suggestion

Personally, I would not have something without maps, eg navionics or cmap, easier to find drop offs etc
Also pays to get plastic insulation tape & tape over the cover where sd cards go in

matasb
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Also have the Garmin Striker Plus 7SV and it is awesome. Not too worried about it not having maps as it's one less place for water ingress and I upload some points of interest onto the sounder the day before.

Great all round though

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information