FF/GPS Combos

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks man for all the helpful info, especially liked the reverse mount transducer option, would never had thought of being caught out on that.... the helix 7 mega si g3 is beyond my budget but worth saving for

What model do you have, so I can find out if the reverse transducer option is available on the smaller units

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 pm

my understanding is any brand of sounder that offers side imaging will need to offer the reverse transducer mount option in the software, otherwise you get the left side sounding appearing on the right hand side of the screen and vice-versa if the transducer is reverse mounted

(for a traditional transducer that only sends down a cone shaped beam this option as not needed as you get the same answer whichever way you install the transducer)

keep an eye on the prices as humminbird are not going to be able to sustain the premium they have historically extracted from the punters in AU/NZ

i think you are going to see ongoing price falls as humminbird bring out updated models fairly regularly into what must be a fairly mature market and the NZ distributor has to clear the old model stock - you've already seen HLD collect a good deal

I've only got the G2 (generation 2) Mega imaging which im very impressed with and the latest G3 Mega+ imaging is another significant step up again and i will probably update to that at some point

they aren't perfect, like the lack of back lit buttons until you get up i think the 9" annoys me and there are some weird wrinkles in the software (choose jigging mode with reverse transducer mode selected and you only get side imaging on one side, for example) and even though it is an american company their software isnt offered in an OSX/Mac version

having said all that i think their imaging hardware technology for shallow water is the best, or very close to it

their auto chart live functionality is also exceptional - if you are willing to put the time into understanding the parameters you can create exceptional charts for yourself in far greater detail than any off the peg charts

the takeaway thought is the need to be more focused on fish conservation as we are rapidly approaching the point where the technology can show every single fish beneath us in what is approaching television clarity
Viking Reload (2019)

SitDown

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 pm

seems to be tons of options to customize the unit to your liking when having a quick looksie today
I couldn't find in the settings where the reverse transducer option was... any suggestions

on display at the shop was the 7, 8, 10 & 12.... the 7inch version is quite a big unit compared to my lowrance 7 hdi

lespresso

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:45 pm

copied & paste from page 39 of the Helix 7 G2 manual here: http://humminbird.com.au/wp-content/the ... Manual.pdf

Change the Side Imaging Orientation (CHIRP MEGA SI models only)

Use SI Orientation to switch how the Side Imaging beams are displayed in the Side Imaging View.

This menu option can be used if the port and starboard beams are reversed during installation, which might be the case if a transducer is installed incorrectly. For further assistance, contact Humminbird Customer Service.
1. MainMenu(AdvancedUserMode):PresstheMENUkeytwice.SelecttheSonartab.
2. SelectSIOrientation
3. SelectNormalorReverse.

the key thing is that you select Advanced User Mode, otherwise the more esoteric functions are hidden

kind regards,

reiss.
Viking Reload (2019)

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

Just my 10¢ worth ::

If I get out soon, I am gonna have to re-learn it, but I have to say, I am very happy, with my -

Garmin STRIKER™ Plus 7sv
https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/592111

I remember getting, instant buyer's remorse, shortly after I bought it, when I saw it on special for ~$700.
But I'm still happy, with all the bells and whistles.
It may even have a software update due, I'll have to check.

-----

In these troubled times, I like to put my hand over the kidney in my heart, stare at the moon of Mars contemplating how the wheel is older than the wall, the great things Frederick Douglass is doing & just being thankful I have ID to buy cereal & I don’t have windmill cancer.
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

SitDown

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 pm

ah I see, advanced user mode, thanks man

Marc N
I looked at the striker & the new echomap
https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/59286 ... 0-01899-20#

the echomap, ti2 & humminbird are similar priced, last 2 include navionics

lespresso

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

fwiw, i have a navionics card but if it fails or goes missing for some reason it will not be replaced

why? autochart live in the case of humminbird (fill in other marketing name for your favourite brand) leaves navionics charts for dead and if i had to chose i would choose it before SI or DI or any other whizz bang imaging

if you have a proper boat there is still a strong case to be made for buying a navionics card so you dont run up the rocks, but for a kayak it really strains credibility to say you need a navionics card for safe passage

once you start building your own charts you'll never look back

it is a couple of seasons of investment in time building up your charts, but once you have that information its a real asset
Viking Reload (2019)

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am

lespresso -

wot you said.

And the Garmin "QuickDraw".... has the online Active Captain app and website, so you can download all the maps made and shared by others, useful if you're going somewhere, you've not seen, before. Surprising the amount of shared info around.
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:04 pm

I only really use the Navionics card when I venture out of my usual 'backyard' pillaging grounds to put me 'in the ballpark'. After that, it's hunting for reef structure and current lines... And it's a damn sight better than the default basemaps that come with the devices.

Been maybe 8? years since I bought a FF - Technology has come a long, long way in that time , and as you say, not in favour of the fish.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Return to “Electrical and Electronics”

• Information