Lowrance Hook 4

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
Stinky inky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi fellas - looking at upgrading my ancient hummingbird 535, looking at the hook 4 I just need something basic and marine deals have these with on sale with a navionics map card. So question is I have a 4.3 prowler anyone know if the transducer on the lowrance hook 4 fits this kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Babylonian proverb
So fish more you will live longer....

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Stinky inky wrote:Hi fellas - looking at upgrading my ancient hummingbird 535, looking at the hook 4 I just need something basic and marine deals have these with on sale with a navionics map card. So question is I have a 4.3 prowler anyone know if the transducer on the lowrance hook 4 fits this kayak?

Transducer will fit it's just trying deal with all that thick long cable.

Stinky inky

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Jordan_jh wrote:
Stinky inky wrote:Hi fellas - looking at upgrading my ancient hummingbird 535, looking at the hook 4 I just need something basic and marine deals have these with on sale with a navionics map card. So question is I have a 4.3 prowler anyone know if the transducer on the lowrance hook 4 fits this kayak?

Transducer will fit it's just trying deal with all that thick long cable.

Good to know it will fit, but the transducer cable looked pretty thick almost double the width of the HB cable.
Shame there is not an option to buy a shorter cable, or is there?

Babylonian proverb

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

Stinky inky

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 pm

So bought the lowrance hook 4, basic unit compared to others out there,but does everything and more that I will need it to do. But the transducer that comes with it is not really compatible with the ocean kayak 4.3.
IMG_5226.JPG
IMG_5227.JPG
Hope the pics show the issue with both the way the cable exits from the unit and also the annoying pointy bit of plastic.
Bought the scupper mount kit lowrance make but this doesn't seem to solve the scupper compatibility issue, any ideas folks?
Babylonian proverb

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

Stinky inky

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Fellas - after much hunting around for solutions to my transducer not fitting into the Ocean Kayak scupper area, I should of done what any smart person would do and search this site for answers, It really is amazing the info on this site, I seem only to have problems, not solutions to share, so thanks to all those folk out there that have given their knowledge, it really is an amazing resource...

So the answer is I have to mount in hull and drill a hole in my yak and seal this hole with a cable gland or cable clam. I have to get the blue terminal end of the transducer through the hole so the hole is gunna be bigger than I feel comfy with but otherwise, I have to cut and resolder the cable, which I am fairly sure will void any warranty, and I will stuff it up anyhow.

Last question is in your fellas (and ladies) experience which ones are the best for Kayaks and who sells them in central (ish) Auckland?

[url]https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cable ... ih=926/url]
Babylonian proverb

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

TBreezy

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Hey Stinky Inky.

I recently installed a similar looking transducer inside the hull on my kayak (hook 3x model). I just used silicone and made a foam rubber surround to stick it to the bottom of the hull. I was dead set on NOT cutting any wires because I had heard from a couple of places that it won't function exactly like it should - something about static or extra noise. There's heaps of cable tied up to a scupper but it seems to be working ok.

I know what you mean about the connector having a much larger diameter than the actual cable though. It's pretty annoying. You could always find a gland that will fit over the connector, and pack out the cable with something like a grommet so that the gland closes on to something thick enough to make a seal? Or do away with the gland altogether and cut a grommet to fit over the cable and seal that up with silicone?

I ended up filling the hole where the cable came out with some pvc pipe, more foam rubber and silicone because the gland I bought was too small (doh) and couldn't be arsed getting another one. Seems to be fine so far, but have only had it out on a couple of trips.

If I sink, I'll let you know.

Good luck mate.

Stinky inky

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

cheers for that, ended up doing something similar, actually posted some pics on another thread I started called Cable Glands.
All seems good tho yet to get the yak wet and try the thru hull set up, always seems to blow up anytime I can get out...
Babylonian proverb

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

• Information