Family Friendly Fishing in Coromandel

Find out where to go Kayak Fishing in New Zealand with our exclusive Seaclear Chart files for spots all over New Zealand
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Hey guys,

Me, wifey and 6 of the Many are heading to Papa Aroha this weekend. Weather's not looking good at this stage, but ignoring that for now... I'll try to get a fish in Friday afternoon and take one of the boys out on the yaks Saturday morning.

Then I'm looking for a place to take the family fishing from a wharf or something safe and comfortable. Little 7yo got a Barbie rod from the grandparents for her birthday, so the ages range from 7 up to 17. Most probably it'll be the wife taking 5 of the kids out while me and the other one are out on the kayaks.

Any suggestions? At this stage the plan is to go all the way to Little Bay on the other side of the peninsula, so distance is not really an issue (within reason).
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Coromandel town has a wharf very shallow at low tide :y:

FatherOfMany

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 pm

awondering wrote:Coromandel town has a wharf very shallow at low tide :y:
Thanks AW, I just found that on the map. I'll mention that to the wife, might be easiest and with low tide at 5:25am, there should be some water pushing in by the time they get there mid-morning.

Cheers!
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dyls
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish440

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Otautu Bay has long been my stop- gap when the weather is dodgy, it has a wharf that can produce good fish (also very shallow at low tide, but an easy walk around the corner to the rocks fixes that) also the easiest launching place I know of in the coromandel when the weather is poos, sheltered from anything but a howling nw, and a short paddle will see you on fish, especially at this time of year
Viking reload
Viking profish 440(retired)

DJ-400
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4232

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:10 pm

dyls wrote:Otautu Bay has long been my stop- gap when the weather is dodgy, it has a wharf that can produce good fish (also very shallow at low tide, but an easy walk around the corner to the rocks fixes that) also the easiest launching place I know of in the coromandel when the weather is poos, sheltered from anything but a howling nw, and a short paddle will see you on fish, especially at this time of year
Totally agree with this. We were standing on the wharf 'Good Friday' and saw bait fish and the launching of kayaks would make it a great spot for all the family.
We have just come back from Papa Aroha and ky everywhere. Big ky. We were getting snapper straight out from the camp and drifting along at the 6.5m mark.
Viking Profish 400, chill pod, tackle pod, lowrance elite 7hdi/elite 5hdi, Railblaza *ZMW4232*

FatherOfMany

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:09 am

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions people - got some PMs as well.

I've presented the options to the wife and she's decided on Otautu Bay. Thanks Dyls and DJ-400, it does look like it offers a number of activities for the kids

Now I'm going to get my spear and shield, tie my socks to my ears and do a few rain dances on the roof... see if I can do anything about the 27 knot gusts forecast for Saturday morning :?:
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dyls

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 am

If the wind gets too strong from that side the port Charles wharf is very sheltered from the west, caught many a jd,ky, trev and even a few kingys off there as a kid, also has a small sandy beach either side of it fiolliwed by rocks rock pools ect. Be careful launching your yak over that side In a strong westerly though, it will
Look calm but once you get out the wind channels thru the gullys and 25 knot gusts can become 35 knt gusts
Viking reload

FatherOfMany

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:52 pm

dyls wrote:If the wind gets too strong from that side the port Charles wharf is very sheltered from the west, caught many a jd,ky, trev and even a few kingys off there as a kid, also has a small sandy beach either side of it fiolliwed by rocks rock pools ect. Be careful launching your yak over that side In a strong westerly though, it will
Look calm but once you get out the wind channels thru the gullys and 25 knot gusts can become 35 knt gusts
Thanks for the pointers dyls. I drove past Sandy bay on my last trip up there and am hoping to book a bach there in 3 weeks' time. Wife's not keen on the drive over on those dirt roads, but I might just take the kayak there on Saturday morning.

dyls

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:10 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:
dyls wrote:If the wind gets too strong from that side the port Charles wharf is very sheltered from the west, caught many a jd,ky, trev and even a few kingys off there as a kid, also has a small sandy beach either side of it fiolliwed by rocks rock pools ect. Be careful launching your yak over that side In a strong westerly though, it will
Thanks for the pointers dyls. I drove past Sandy bay on my last trip up there and am hoping to book a bach there in 3 weeks' time. Wife's not keen on the drive over on those dirt roads, but I might just take the kayak there on Saturday morning.
well the option is there anyway if the wind starts wrapping into outaut
should be plenty of kings out that side at the moment, if your a livebait man, a bit of burley on the northern end of the farms usually brings the maccys around. then just a short paddle to the first point just a little north of the farms (bull point) should get you some action. If your jigging, lion rock is the goto place, just work you way around it, they are normally sitting there somewhere.
But as I said before, don't underestimate the westerly's out that side, I've seen an experienced kayaker (who I wont name) get blown out of his yak in what was forecast as a 30knt wind out there.
Snapper fishing will still be tough on that side as most of the fish will still be in the gulf, but there will still be a few goodys mooching around, if that's what your after I would recommend working the weedlines, guts and bays north of sandy as that's where ive found a lot of the residents seem to hang out, but bull point, lion rock and cable bay (next bay around from bull point) also hold a lot of good fish.
tight lines, and look forward to reading your next tr :y: :rock:
Viking reload

FatherOfMany

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am

Great, just booked a bach for 24-26 April! And I'm leaving for Papa Aroha in about an hour. So much to look forward to!!

Hey Dyls, do you know if there are any public toilets in Port Charles? Still thinking it's the better choice for Saturday because of the wind and might get the kids to convince the wife of the same.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dyls

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 am

Nope not in port Charles, but if you pop over the hill there's a toilet on the north end of sandy bay
Viking reload

FatherOfMany

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 am

Well that was not the weekend I had planned.

Firstly the oldest of the sons that was meant to go along fell off a ladder at work and had a piece of metal cut into his thigh. He'll be okay, but off work for a few days and had to stay off the leg the weekend.

Went out on Friday afternoon and I must have misjudged the conditions when I looked at the ocean before setting up my kayak, because generally I would not go out in that sized swells. Had a number of waves breaking over my kayak while heading out, which I'm not generally comfortable with. Out past the waves there were equally large swells out there and while my kayak handles them really well, I was concerned about landing through those waves and didn't know whether it was going to get any worse, so I turned back. I don't tie my rods or anything down, so wasn't keen on a turtle.
Surfed 2 small-but-larger-than-I-m-used-to waves going in and I'm happy to learn that the Old town Predator handles small waves really well. I wasn't sure what to expect with this kayak, but it handled those waves better than I expected.

And that was the end of kayaking for the weekend:(

Wife was pretty stressed out from Friday, so I decided to head out with them to Otautu Bay wharf on Saturday morning and you're right Dyls, that place is pretty well sheltered. Kids had great fun catching some small fish and one even caught what looked like a trumpet fish or something. 7yo had her new Barbie rod and was very happy to have caught the most fish next to dad (mostly because she was the only one with a sabiki rig on).
Me and two of the boys went back at 21:00 and stayed fishing till 1:00am. The 14yo landed a 38cm snapper, which is his biggest yet, so he was happy and that was our only legal fish for the weekend.

Important lesson: 5 kids are too many to take fishing at the same time!!!

Only 2 weeks then me and the wife heads out to Sandy bay on the other side of the penninsula.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Good on ya mate :y:

JayD

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Sounds like some good times fishing regardless of the lack of kayak time :y:

FatherOfMany

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention...

I had a PVC pipe with a sabiki rig on and was catching mullet to outfish my daughter. Put the pipe down to help her with something and next minute, off goes a fish my my PVC pipe. This was in the morning... Middle of the night me and the boys go back, I get snagged and end up retrieving my PVC pipe 12 hours later:)

lol...
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dyls