Tips for beginner

Find out where to go Kayak Fishing in New Zealand with our exclusive Seaclear Chart files for spots all over New Zealand
RAWRson
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Fish and dive
VHF Call Sign: Rawson

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am

Hey Team

Just got myself a fishing kayak. Not had any experience.

Looking for tips and more importantly spots. I live in Cambridge so raglan on the west coast is close and Tauranga and Waihi on the east.

Spots are what I’m lacking. Don’t know where to go to hook into the fish.

Any help would be appreciated.

TBreezy

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Hey mate. Welcome.

Considering no experience, it would pay to spend a day somewhere calm, sheltered with minimal current getting used to being in a kayak. Tipping yourself out and getting back in etc. Brush up on a bit of safety, it's #1. Perhaps go to a club meetup somewhere near Waihi or Tauranga and see if you can go out with a few others who are willing to share some of that knowledge.

As for spots, maybe someone who fishes in that area can tell you - search the forums, search the other fishing forums, or just trial and error, try a few places out.

Good luck.

Waylander

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:03 am

What he said ☝️ and stay away from harbour mouths on an outgoing tide...

As for spots, the beauty of a kayak is everywhere has the potential to catch fish due to stealth and access. Good rule of thumb is look at where locals go surfcasting or rock fishing and sit just outside of their casting range and you'll most likely get something.

Happy hunting
OK Prowler Ultra 4.1

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:52 pm

find a safe place, jump out of your yak & try & get back in it, there is a technique to do it, believe me, its not easy till you know how
the weekend comp I was in, there was mention last year in that comp, a fala tipped out in the sea, could not get back on his yak, nearly drowned

• Information