Where to fish Whangarei

Find out where to go Kayak Fishing in New Zealand with our exclusive Seaclear Chart files for spots all over New Zealand
Kermit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400 - Kermit

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm

I have a mate that just bought a yak and was asking about locations around Whangarei Heads.
I have never fished there so open to ideas.
Viking PF400 - Kermit
Viking Espri Angler - worn out
PB snapper - 17.9lbs - 82cm CKFC
Plenty of time to sleep when you die

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:32 pm

If he's new to yakking, the Heads aren't really an ideal place to learn - Some serious ebb currents out there.

Probably better to cut his teeth in and around the channels up by Limestone, be some good fish up that way shortly if they're not already there - he also gets to play the "Who gets the fish" game with the Bronzies :lol:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 pm

I live at the Heads and pass through the harbour every time I go fishing, but have never kayak fished here, and have done very little fishing of any kind within the harbour itself. It is an unforgiving place. There is an awful lot of boat traffic in summer and the currents are extreme. Outside of the bays which are a little uninspiring, it is not a place for a new kayaker. Having said that, there are a large number of fish in the harbour over summer and some kayakers do well. The Tutukaka Coast is a much better option, but it's about an hour drive from the Heads!

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

When I was a little'n about 5 years old, I remember My Dad catching snapper out of a dinghy at Reo Tahi. Nice little bay from memory, some nice folk up the hill, gave me a puppy.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Kermit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400 - Kermit

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks guiy's,
I will pass on. I spent summers and weekends at Mcleods bay as a nipper and we would fish off the point.
Viking PF400 - Kermit
Viking Espri Angler - worn out
PB snapper - 17.9lbs - 82cm CKFC
Plenty of time to sleep when you die

• Information