Queens Birthday Weekend

Taranaki region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
deeble
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi everyone

I'm coming up from Wellington to stay at Opunake for Queens Birthday weekend. A bunch of us are heading up for an annual surf trip but I thought I might bring up the PF400 in case conditions suited fishing somewhere along the Taranaki coast over the weekend.

I'm completely new to the area so it would be great to be able to head out with someone else with local knowledge. Any other tips about areas to launch, fishing tactics etc. would be appreciated too. My main goal is catching a feed for us at the bach but I here it is a good area for finding big snapper too.

I've had a bit of practice in the surf down this way too...though I need to do a few mods on the kayak for strapping down and securing rods on entry etc.

zaktheyaker
Kayak Model: 440

Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Opunake can provide excellent fishing but sometimes challenging surf. Many big snapper are caught off Cape Egmont in winter. If you are after an easy launching and landing fish from Middleton Bay, Opunake, Cape Egmont or the port
PB
Snapper 21.7lb
Gurnard 0.89kg
Kahawai 3.00kg

deeble
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks. I'm guessing Middleton Bay is less likely to be seriously affected by surf than the main beach at Opunake?

Otherwise I'm thinking that launching and landing at the cape looks somewhat easier than some of the beach launching options around...

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Avoid high tide at Middleton bay it can get a bit tricky at high on the ramp there with a lot of water moving around.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

• Information