Wai-iti beach campground (Not for kids)!!

Taranaki region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
crabman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi guys, we stayed at Wai-iti campground from Thursday-Sunday and had an interesting time.
Thursday arrived at Campground 1100am, told at 1105am that the kids were not allowed to bike in the campground (wearing helmets) despite their only being only 1 other person there!!
We were informed that they were allowed to ride their bikes out on the public road in front of the Cafe :x
Second thing to happen was the kids being sent out of the games room by the camp Manager as they have to be supervised in their by an adult at all times :headbang:
Third really interesting thing to happen was the sign put up at the filleting station by the Manager stating that you are not allowed to catch the eels in the creek as they are a protected species and there for everyone to enjoy.......
At this point I couldnt resist saying something and challenged the Manager as to the ownership of the creek and Eels and also the (Protected species) I explained that the creek was crown land and the Eels a public resource which you can gain a commercial licence to catch apart from the long fin.
I also questioned the rules re bikes and games room etc, and the unfriendly nature towards children.
The basic answer is that most of the revinue come from the batch owners and the campground doesnt generate much....
Basically giving you all the heads up for friends/family who enjoy camping with their children that this is probably not the right place!!!
Opunake or Urenui from now on for us.
Wai-Iti campground and its f'wit owners can shove it as far as Im concerned. :@

Hurley Burley
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:39 pm

Yep, I've heard so many bad things about that campground.
My wife went to book us in a couple years ago and the guy was so rude on the phone she told him to shove it. We stayed at onaero bay holiday park instead, really friendly there and child friendly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vr4king

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 am

Dam cheers for the heads up......We heading out to Urenui this weekend and its looking great for fishing

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 am

definitely going to urenui campground then. Had a similar experience with a campground owner just out of picton . i went down for a look in the stream with my fly rod looking for some trout. I got told off for fishing in there as they have protected the eels and they own the stream. Tried to explain the same thing but he wasn't going to listen to me. funny since i was fishing for trout with flies and he seemed to think i was a threat to the eels in the stream.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

grantagent007
Kayak Make: Ok old town
Kayak Model: Predator 13

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:53 am

Yes I've also heard the same about waiti. It's like a clicky little private beach from what I've heard.
Living the dream

Old town predator 13
Ocean kayak ultra 4.7(retired)
Mission catch 420 (retired)

• Information