Kawau Bay

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Stonecross
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3804

Wed May 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Probably not technically Northern Region, probably Auckland region, but I know if I post here then HLD and YFK will both reply :P

I'm looking to head north a little further than the norm this weekend and I've never fished Kawau bay, I know there have been the odd TR from Martins, whats the best place to go? I don't like lots of on-the-water-traffic (need my ZEN) and I don't mind if its a gravel road etc, as long as I can trolley my yak. Are there places that people have thought, "I'd like to fish there" but have not had the opportunity? I don't want to stray too far north as I might end up divorced :lol: , but a day trip up to 1.5hours north of Jafaville is aok...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3 Ultra - ZMW3804

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Jones Bay, Tauwharanui.

It's more or less the end of the road out along the Tauwharanui Peninsula.

Stonecross

Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

PJay wrote:Jones Bay, Tauwharanui.

It's more or less the end of the road out along the Tauwharanui Peninsula.
Thanks PJay, thats certainly on the outer limits from jafaville, I wonder if I need a passport ;-) I see the road continues to the end, but it looks like Jones is the last "close to water" stop.. thats definately worth looking at!

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Wed May 30, 2012 4:09 pm

We used to go there when we lived in central Auckland.

There's also surprisingly good fishing just out on the sand from Algies Bay. I've caught really good JDs there, as well as big pannie and the occasional bigger snapper.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed May 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Stonecross wrote:Probably not technically Northern Region, probably Auckland region, but I know if I post here then HLD and YFK will both reply :P

I'm looking to head north a little further than the norm this weekend and I've never fished Kawau bay, I know there have been the odd TR from Martins, whats the best place to go? I don't like lots of on-the-water-traffic (need my ZEN) and I don't mind if its a gravel road etc, as long as I can trolley my yak. Are there places that people have thought, "I'd like to fish there" but have not had the opportunity? I don't want to stray too far north as I might end up divorced :lol: , but a day trip up to 1.5hours north of Jafaville is aok...
Just had a quick look and seen this Stonecross- Been busy sorting out a car for one of my daughters.
Yeah a good spot and easy paddle across to Kawau ,used to go there a bit on Spearfishing missions by Kayak.
It's pretty Sharky round there over the warmer months and even had a Mako cut my wake going across once :worried:
The reef on the top Nth can hold schools of Bronzies basking too.
Wouldn't mind excuse to check it out again too-
May head up to camp on Motuora .

Stonecross

Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 pm

paddlesnap wrote:
Stonecross wrote:Probably not technically Northern Region, probably Auckland region, but I know if I post here then HLD and YFK will both reply :P

Just had a quick look and seen this Stonecross- Been busy sorting out a car for one of my daughters.
Yeah a good spot and easy paddle across to Kawau ,used to go there a bit on Spearfishing missions by Kayak.
It's pretty Sharky round there over the warmer months and even had a Mako cut my wake going across once :worried:
The reef on the top Nth can hold schools of Bronzies basking too.
Wouldn't mind excuse to check it out again too-
May head up to camp on Motuora .
Cheers PS, I'm thinking of heading up for a day in the weekend, weather dependent.

nige
Kayak Make: mission
Kayak Model: catch 420
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9509

Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 pm

just check first if motuora camp is open I think DOC.have been blowing up the wharf this week.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu May 31, 2012 4:41 pm

nige wrote:just check first if motuora camp is open I think DOC.have been blowing up the wharf this week.
Thanks mate, can be great up there in quiet season and it's only the rangers there.

• Information