Sat 8th - Tutukaka or Whananaki?

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
uktim
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 am

Well the weather is looking good for saturday at the moment, so i'm thinking about getting out at first light for a couple hours of fishing.

Has anyone fished Tutukaka or Whananaki recently? Are the fish around yet (and very easy to catch!!! :^) )?
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Whananaki not to bad and toots is a lil slow i think good luck with the fishing uktim
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm so tempted to say yes let's have a trip this weekend but to be honest mate I have to hold back as pretty soon I have 3 fishing trips comming up one after the other and she that knows-does not know yet :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
But at least one trip is to Karikari for the holiday weekend which she suggested, so ya can't blame me if I hear fish calling me and i need to investigate :rofl:

UKTIM
We have a club trip soon so why not join us.
Cheers
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

wet ass

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Yakfisherkarl wrote:I'm so tempted to say yes let's have a trip this weekend but to be honest mate I have to hold back as pretty soon I have 3 fishing trips comming up one after the other and she that knows-does not know yet :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
But at least one trip is to Karikari for the holiday weekend which she suggested, so ya can't blame me if I hear fish calling me and i need to investigate :rofl:

UKTIM
We have a club trip soon so why not join us.
Cheers
im in the same boat az well mate :D

uktim

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Well im hoping to be on the water at Kowharewa Bay at about 6.30 and will then mouch around Kukutauwhao Island and on up to Middle Gable for a few hours. Will most probably try a wiliamson lure, possibly a bit of squid on flashers, soft bait and a slow jig. Hopefully, something legal and edible will be interested in something there!! :sweat: |(

My girlfriend has given me permission to do some yak fishing while i'm up at Whatuwhiwhi!! :* :rock: Just have to remember its meant to be a romantic weekend away and she is taking her kayak as well :$

Yakfisherkarl - i was planning on coming to the last meeting but 12 hours at work was enough for me!! Will hopefully be coming to the next meeting and will be looking to come out with you lot on a trip.
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 pm

would of joined you dude but works been hectic and gotta work this weekend the weathers looking good this weekend as well for a fish :y:..good luck and looking foward to trip report on how you got on :y:..

uktim

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Not much to say really. Hit the water at about 6am and paddled to the island. A few leather jackets were annoying me at the island so i moved on towards Middle Gable. Noticed a huge flock of birds about a km or 2 off shore so went to investigate. Just shearwaters and no sign of any gannets and no fish so moved on to middle gable. A few nibbles, hooked what felt to be a nice pannie but either my line snapped or my knot was badly tied that morning ;( :$

After 4 hours, no sign of any other fish or any gannets diving (think i only saw 3!). So came home empty handed again. |(

10 months kayak fishing......number of fish taken home......0 :doh:

Ah well you have to laugh! :sweat: :worried:
Yellow Cobra Navigator

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Thats tuff going mate 10 months with no fish

Not saying you are doing anything wrong but maybe hook up with one of the locals to show you a spot or two.

How about it guys there must be something we can do to help out (scotch fillet is bloody expensive)
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:59 pm

tutukaka usually runs hot or cold..theres a few reefs around there which can produce some nice fish on a good day..next time i'm heading out i'll give you a pm see if you are free and we will get you onto some fish :y:...

wet ass

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

snapps wrote:tutukaka usually runs hot or cold..theres a few reefs around there which can produce some nice fish on a good day..next time i'm heading out i'll give you a pm see if you are free and we will get you onto some fish :y:...
im with you snapps got to get uktim in some fish 10 months with no fish
is along time ill be :swear: :headbang: :swear: if that was me

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 am

UKTIM ..are you softbaiting or using cut / stink baits....drifting or anchoring ???
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

uktim

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Hainesy wrote:UKTIM ..are you softbaiting or using cut / stink baits....drifting or anchoring ???
I'm soft baiting and using flasher rigs (often with a bit of squid to encourage the fish), soft jigging and a couple of other things. I only drift as i don't have an anchor system yet. I have used burley a few times and for my trip up to Whatuwhiwhi im thinking about anchoring up and just burley for an hour or two and hopefully the fish will come to me..... |(

I don't have a fishfinder, so its pot luck with my fishing. I ask in the office and they point me in the direction of some good spots. I spoke to a couple of people in the pub last night and they said they had problems finding fish in a boat with a finder.

Well in the pub last night, my pannie which i lost has increased in size to a massive kingy :drunk: :lol:
Yellow Cobra Navigator

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

Hainesy

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Without having seen /been where you fish, I can only make some VERY generalised comments:

1. If you can afford it, a FF will definitely help...may not show you the fish, but at the very least, it will show you the bottom structure and where the fish might be....
2. Get yourself a drogue or drift chute, you dont want to drift too fast...err on the side of "larger is better...a yak will drift faster than a tinnie or stink boat as its lighter..
3. if you're softbaiting, pay attention to your sink times...a 1 oz jig head will sink at approx 1 m per second....so if your fishing in 20 m of water, with a 5/8 jig head you will be looking at maybe 30 sec + to get to the bottom...so the FF also helps tell you what depth you're fishing as well

Hope it helps !!

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Is that how you catch all the fish -must try that myself. :D
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Hainesy

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Rusty wrote:Is that how you catch all the fish -must try that myself. :D

...nah..its all a myth !!! :* :*

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:30 pm

UK Tim: Got a GPS?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

COWKILLER
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: ultra 4.3 camo

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:02 pm

(scotch fillet is bloody expensive) not if you work at a local frezzing works it aint lol

Ocean Kayak 4.3 and yes another member of team camo

uktim

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:12 pm

I have a drogue but the last few times i have not needed to use it due to the lack of wind blowing me around the place.

I don't have a GPS......but the one i use at work may accidently fall in to my bag for the weekend..... :tmi: :angel:
Yellow Cobra Navigator

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Mate, check your PMs.

• Information