Adventure or Insanity trip to bland bay....

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:00 pm

ok guys as requested by a few..looking at doing a weekend trip to bland bay this summer staying the weekend at the bland bay motor camp chaseing snapps, xos kingies, skippies and maybe the lucky marlin on the outside of danger rock up to home point as about around 5 marlin get hooked up herei in this area each summer :y:..last summer a friend of mine hooked up a 80kg marlin just down the coast on a jetski at helena bay all alone so have told him if he can help us tow 1 back as he reckons he will get it back faster this time compared to last time and is dyeing to hook one up again :whew:...heres a write up
http://jetskifishing.blogspot.com/2011/ ... n-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so looking at setting the dates when it will work for us and numbers for this gotta get the weekend right for this as it will be trolling the 100mtr + mark with no mothership and form my troll last weekend out of whananaki at around that mark was very enjoyable to say the least but weather was picture perfect :y:...

uktim
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:05 pm

I'll be up for that!! :D

Out of interest.....how far out is the 100m mark? :sweat:
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:17 pm

uktim wrote:Out of interest.....how far out is the 100m mark? :sweat:
About an hours paddle, straight out.

It's not the depth you're looking for as such, but subsurface structure, plankton (for baitfish that Marlin like to nibble on), currents and water colour.

All of which can change each day - Except structure that is.

Definitely luck of the draw when you're in a waka-iti.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YakM@
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:17 pm

About 10.6km out from Bland Bay

Matt
100m-mark-blandbay.png
100 Metre Mark - Bland Bay
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

YakM@

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 pm

That's if you can paddle 10km/hr. Me.... I'm more of a leisurely paddler, can't keep up with the likes of HLD and Snapps. I enjoy watching the scenery too much.
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Okay, work on 2-2.5Hrs out, and 3+ hours back...

I think you'd have better chances off Karikari or Stevies at peak season.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm

what hld said not so much structure but the watercolour plays a big part and how we present our lures and the baitballs they love chaseing :y:..

YakM@

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:35 pm

For a lesser distance you could paddle to the Hen and Chicks :^)
M@

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:03 pm

it's an adventure so you don't have to hit the 100mtr mark before you know it you may be lucky just out the back of danger rock as i have heard of a few hook ups not far from there with the marlin if your lucky..just a leasurly paddle if thats what you wanna do :y:..i think pj can get hold of a mothership if we have the numbers :inlove:...

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:42 pm

my 1st and only hook up was about 300m off danger rock when i had my boat about 1hr latter 73kg marlin :rock:
so ill be keen :inlove: bland bay :y:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:52 pm

wet ass wrote:my 1st and only hook up was about 300m off danger rock when i had my boat about 1hr latter 73kg marlin :rock:
thats the one wetass have heard of a few being caught close in and a 73kg marlin would be a buzz on a yak to say the least :rock:...

wet ass

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 pm

snapps wrote:
wet ass wrote:my 1st and only hook up was about 300m off danger rock when i had my boat about 1hr latter 73kg marlin :rock:
thats the one wetass have heard of a few being caught close in and a 73kg marlin would be a buzz on a yak to say the least :rock:...
yep was fun got it on a live bait we were fishing for kings at the time :D
Last edited by wet ass on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:02 pm

wet ass wrote:
snapps wrote:
yep was fun got it on a live bait we were fishing for kings at that time :D
boy oh boy very exciteing stuff :y:

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 pm

snapps wrote:what hld said not so much structure
Was referring more to larger features of canyons and rises, such as the garden patch, rather than the wee wisps of foul we generally look for, but water colour and temperature breaks (interface of warm and cold water) would have to be the key ones in my opinion.

Either way, I would recommend that anyone heading out on this should have a fairly solid skillset under their belt.
NZ looks a lot smaller when you're 4NM offshore (assuming you're heading for the 100m mark), but consider also what you're doing to do if you're lucky enough to hook one (That's the easy bit, so to speak). A panicking Stripey is going to require a lot of care IF you get it yak-side.

Enough doom.

Closer to the time, monitor the gameboats on VHF, they'll give you an idea if the water is 'in'.
Frequently, at the start of the season there's a tongue of warm water that comes in for a short time up here, then ebbs before coming back for the rest of the season - I assume it's some sort of huge eddy caused by the transition of the cold water being displaced as the warmer stuff comes down? Can any hydrographers enlighten?

Best of luck, and start getting that paddle fitness up :y:

Cheers
HLD

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:13 pm

yep for sure hld was out at the 80mtr to 100mtr mark last weekend at whananaki with a couple big bust offs big kings i suspect :?: but the weather was perfect for an offshore mission :y:..could hunt around danger rock for most that are confident for some skippies kings e.t.c :y:

wet ass

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:50 pm

ill be happy az with a xox king and a 20+hb snap maybe skippy or 2 not much 2 ask for is it :lol: :lol:

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:01 pm

wet ass wrote:ill be happy az with a xox king and a 20+hb snap maybe skippy or 2 not much 2 ask for is it :lol: :lol:
not at all anything can happen at danger rock as it runs hot and cold as you know :y:

YakM@

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:10 pm

I'll be happy with a 10lb plus snapper anything else such as a legal kingie or tuna would be a dream. In fact, with my lack of success lately, just 6 legal snapper would do me. It's been 3 months since I last took home something to eat ;(
M@

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm

snapps wrote:Not at all anything can happen at danger rock as it runs hot and cold as you know :y:
And has been known to boil on occasions too :rock:

YakFisho Snapps

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
snapps wrote:Not at all anything can happen at danger rock as it runs hot and cold as you know :y:
And has been known to boil on occasions too :rock:

very true hld with home point as well for the kings with the good currents running threw there :rock: ..i think at the bridge to cape comp some of the guys had hired out a batch for the weekend could go down that track if we have the numbers and depending on cost will look into it :y:...

• Information