Bland Bay Trip 9/7/11

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 pm

YakM@ wrote:
big blue wrote:..have a great day and wet ass... ;)
Actually my ass stays reasonably dry in my yak :lol:
same here :lol:...

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 pm

snapps wrote:
YakM@ wrote:
big blue wrote:..have a great day and wet ass... ;)
Actually my ass stays reasonably dry in my yak :lol:
same here :lol:...
Right, that's two I need ta tip in the water, LOL. Don't ya guys put ya yaks in the water? Right any other Dry-Arses I need ta dunk on Sunday?
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

YakFisho Snapps

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 pm

haha classic fns :lol:..but you tip your own arse out in the water alone snork :lol:..

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm

ok the jokes on me :rofl:
sweet az big blue next time mate but that one that you lost last time its mine :lol:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 pm

snapps wrote:haha classic fns :lol:..but you tip your own arse out in the water alone snork :lol:..
Faint Jaws theme music being heard out in the bay, as a nervous Dry-Asre Yakker sees a large dark mass pass under his yak, hehehe. Attack of the Lone Snork
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

wet ass

Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Fish'N'Snork wrote:
snapps wrote:haha classic fns :lol:..but you tip your own arse out in the water alone snork :lol:..
Faint Jaws theme music being heard out in the bay, as a nervous Dry-Asre Yakker sees a large dark mass pass under his yak, hehehe. Attack of the Lone Snork
:tmi: :rofl: :rofl:

Northland Kayaks
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: John's Dory V

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:17 am

Hey Wet Ass, Sorry I missed you the other day. Lookin like I will make it to BB 2moro.
Think I'll fish the turn of the tide, so that'll give you time to get that 20lber.
If you havent got it by the time I get there - I have to nail him myself.
See you on the water.
Northland Kayaks

YakM@
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Say hi on Channel 8, when you get on the water
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

waipu kayak
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.3

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 pm

hi guy hope you dont mind another tagging along .i need to try out my new kayak

wet ass

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 pm

waipu kayak wrote:hi guy hope you dont mind another tagging along .i need to try out my new kayak
be good 2 see that new yak in the water waipu kayak :y:

waipu kayak
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.3

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

lets hope i can load it up with a few fish im really looking forward to it see you on the beach

YakFisho Snapps

Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:07 pm

works over for the week wahhoo :clap:..now to start sorting out the gear and rig a few jigs..getting very excited now looking foward to it :y: ...don't forget the itm fishing show tonight kayak fishing should be a good laugh...

Fish'N'Snork

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Wouldn't want ta be on the West Coast Tomorrow. Car Packed, now let's hope I wake-up rearing ta go. Alarm set for 4am so I get away from home on time ta make 6am. Dam ya guys liking ta be on the water so early, lol.

New Zealand......

Fish'N'Snork

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:23 am

Right Time ta head off. Wet Weather Gear packed. Now let's see if I can find a DOC Picnic Table in the dark, LOL.

New Zealand......

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 am

Hope you giuys had a blast today!! looking forward to the T/R.. :y:

YakM@
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Back at home now, arrived at the same time as Doug (Fish 'n' Snork) and shortly afterwards Jason (Wet Ass) also joined us. We proceeded to make ourselves ready for the water and then drag our yak's down to the beach. Was very windy and there was a nasty chop to the small waves which made paddling in the same direction as the waves quite interesting. and in some places like over the reef it set up a real washing machine effect that had Larry's (Waipu Kayak) friend tip out on his first Kayak fishing session! That's not nice in the summer let alone when the water temp is only 14°C

I only landed 3 fish, 1 undersized snapper, 1 large pigfish and a smallish pannie so I only kept the pannie. Wet Ass fished next to me and got 5 reasonable snapper in the 3-5kg range, I must have a poor technique. Twice I hooked into larger fish, one that busted off my braid on the reef after almost spooling me and another that wrapped my line around some rocks and ended up rubbing through the fluoro. :doh:

Anyway I'll let the others tell their stories as mine is pretty boring. I believe there was at least 7 of us fishing there.

Matt
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

Fish'N'Snork

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:35 am

Mmm well I thought the weather was not too bad for a Winter's Day. I would have put the wind as mild. Ya did need the Sea-anchor ta slow ya down. Used the one Shamus Maded me for the first time. Work brilliantly thanks Shamus :y: The chop was mild and the swell was 1/2m at the most. I Anchor next The reef with the "Washing Machine" effect safely, Fished there for a little while, before jumping in an Snorkelled around it with not problems. Wet Ass had told me there was a Cray with his name on it there, but lucky for him I didn't find it (cause I would have renamed it :P ). The rock that breaks water there at low tide has a awesome little cave under it, but due ta my diving touch packing a sad, I didn't get ta see the back of it.
Fishing wise, I had felt one big bite while fishing, but that was it, it didn't hook up. Absolutely no action on the Braided Soft Bait Rod, one tickle and that was it. I hooked up 5 times on the Monoline Boat Rod, all baby Snaps bar one. I was just giving up on the fishing as a bad joke, and was gearing up for some spearfishing, when my Monoline Boat Rod bent, LOL. So here am I sitting on the side of the Yak with my fins on, playing a fish. Little 30cm Pannie. Well that's at least diner.
Viz was ok, and the water was definitely winter temp, But nothing was wasn't geared for. The usual reef fish around. Some big fat Red Moki. Lucky for them, I consider them as Underwater-Native-Birds (like Wood Pidgins), casue they are tasty. No Pig Fish in site, but lots of Butterfish, so it was butter fish for diner. Lots of Kina, but the Snap weren't come ta them when I broke open a few. Saw a school of Yellow-tail, one of them looked like it had been hit by something, but nothing casing them.
Back on board, my new Fluro Jacket did a great job cutting the wind of the wetsuit, so I warmed up quickly. I carried on fish for a bit as I watched the other Kayak head back, before giving up 1:30ish and headed back myself. I had seen Wet Ass disappear in to one of the Islets on his way back, so followed his route back to find an awesome archway going right through, nice. Got ya out of the wind for a bit, making for a little easier paddle.
Great ta meet ya Guys.

Doug

New Zealand......

wet ass

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

good T/R guys thanks all for a good day see you on water next time :y:

cheers
jason

Sampson
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: P13

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm

How wary are butterfish fns, I'm considering getting set up with a pole spear (can't afford the full speargun kit just yet) - you reackon I'd be able to get some on the pole?
Eprouve scientifiquement pour capturer plus de poissons! (read your gulp packet)

Fish'N'Snork

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Sampson wrote:How wary are butterfish fns, I'm considering getting set up with a pole spear (can't afford the full speargun kit just yet) - you reackon I'd be able to get some on the pole?
Got my first one on a Hawaiian Sling (multi Pronged pole spear) back when I was Twenty. Though it away when I gutted it after finding it had a Green Back bone. I thought it was poisonous, LOL. Got back home ta find out it's other name is "Green Bone" and considered very nice eating, DOH.

New Zealand......

• Information