Just to blow the dust off this sub-forum

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:55 pm

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^:
Planning my birthday paddle to celebrate 50 successful orbits of the sun middle of next month.

If anyone is up for a monster (but reasonably leisurely) paddle, register interest here please.
All paddles will pretty much follow the coast, blue water crossings are just tedious, with occasional skipping between headlands across entrances to bays.
Fishing will consist of targeting anything substantial on the sounder that we happen across, but will be a hit and move on. No drifting around for hours.

Likely launching just before dawn, and expect to be on the water pretty much a full 10-12hrs (depending on route and fish :lol: )

Several options being considered at this stage:

Taipa to Whangaroa - ±45km (or vice versa depending on conditions)
Keri Inlet, slalom out through the islands, around Urupukapuka and back via Brampton - ±45km (My classic Ratrun. Cruisey trip and have had a couple of guys join me on P13's without tears). Options to 'drop in' if you launch at Tapeka or Rawhiti for shorter trips.
Whangarei Town Basin - out to Smugglers and back - ±60km (down one side of the harbour, back up the other with favourable tides both ways!)
Kerikeri Inlet to Whangaroa - ±65km (Not reversible, as better options for bailout in latter stages this way - Currently last on the list as haven't done this distance for a while)

You will need:
A reasonable level of paddle fitness (aim to sustain 4-5km/hr)
Be able to look after yourself if the water gets choppy (I'll be pulling the pin if conditions are less than 90% - It's a long way at the best of times)
Your own shuttle-bunny (it's a long walk back to the car for some of these)

In all likelihood, I'll probably do the Ratrun - The scenery (and fishing) never gets boring and there's plenty of options to adjust route to suit playing with dolphins or particularly spectacular fishing.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

blair
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:40 pm

If this post is open to anyone, I am definitely keen. It will be date dependent as I am in Papa Aroha on 15/10 but keen for sure.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Certainly open to anyone game enough. :y:

Dates at this stage are 7/8/9th or 14/15/16th

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:45 pm

I may be interested if I can get my rotator cuff tear sorted by then...

Hairy Little Dwarf

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Don't force it mate - I got frustrated about 5 years back and went too silly too soon and will likely be paying the price for life now (7 years so far :puke: )

If nothing else, with us two dud rotators out there, it won't be a speed event :P

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:04 pm

It's going to be the Rat Run.

Opito Bay, Kerikeri - Urupuk. return 45km

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:36 pm

:) Speaking of blowing off dust , 8)
Yeah sorry to hear of the shoulder stuff , think it's from stuffing all those fish into the rear well,had a twinge now and then but work through it and the Wing paddles with body rotation definitely comes into its own for sparing shoulders . Just you've got to have the narrow yak to go with them and proper technique .
Keen will have a look closer to launch .
Happy 50 ya old buggar :lol:

• Information