new to fishing, new to kerikeri

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
slomartin
Kayak Make: Prijon
Kayak Model: Kodiak
VHF Call Sign: Fat Hippo

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi all,

We've just recently moved to Kerikeri, I've kayaked for years now, but have never actually fished (well, have been taken fishing by mates a couple of times in times past, so I've caught a fish or two, but you know, always under guidance and with lots of help, so no need to actually worry about anything), now in Kerikeri, we've ended up with a SOT 2.5 seater for the family, and what with all the fishing going on all over the place, have been tempted to give it a go. With young kids who don't have a lot of patience, I am either limited to fairly quick runs with the kids who'll get fed up if nothing happens quick, or slightly more time, but with the pressure of having to get home and help keep the kids entertained. :)

I am desperate for any and all advice - I mean, I guess I could always put the kayak in the water, buy some bait on the way to the water and just give it a go and see what happens, but like I said, clueless, so would appreciate any hint as to what spots are actually going to produce a fish, down to what to put on the hook :)

Anyways, if you see a completely clueless guy dragging a couple of sulking kids around the inlet in a blue/white sitontop, that's me. :)

cheers,
martin

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Were you fishing out of Opito Bay on Saturday?
I'm happy to take you (and your crew) out for a guided fish. Should be able to give the kids enough action to get them hooked :devil:

I'm at work at the moment, but will flick you a PM later tonight.

(You say you've kayaked for a while, are you talking sea kayaks?)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1800]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Roath

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 am

Hey Martin

You have got the right guy offering to help you that's for sure. Been paddling for years?.. cool maybe HLD has found someone to drag along on his long paddles out to blue water :lol:

I've been in Kerikeri for just over a year now and bought a few kayaks since being here. HLD has been showing me the ropes. I bought a kayak for my 9 year old, but he hasn't got the stamina to go very far.. so ends up sitting in the back of my yak with a rod in his hand. :^)

Maybe catch up with you some stage.. I did see a father and son duo paddling out from Whangaroa as we came in on Monday. Wasn't you guys was it?

Rob

slomartin
Kayak Make: Prijon
Kayak Model: Kodiak
VHF Call Sign: Fat Hippo

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:24 pm

hey Roath,

no, wasn't us in Whangaroa, I think the furthest I've managed to drag the kids on the sit on top was from the stone store to waipapa landing, or about 500m out from opito bay or wharau rd. Mine are 3 and 5 so very easily bored and quick to get cold and not really paddlers yet, so always passengers, and if it isn't warm enough to swim not very happy about being made to go out on the kayak. the fishing was an attempt to get them a bit more interested in going out on a boat, although have to admit the 2.5 seater is such a drag, that i've gone back to the original plan of buying a nice composite sit inside touring kayak.

HLD has kindly volunteered his services, can't wait to get out and paddle a bit, wouldn't mind catching a fish either. :) i'm sure we'll catch up at some stage.

• Information