Any one done Flat Island off Mahinepua Bay?

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Roath

Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 am

After getting skunked in the shallows yesterday I've started looking for places I don't have to paddle too far and get into good kingie territory.

I drove to Mahinepua Bay in the weekend to check it out. Really nice sheltered beach. A guy (Brad) had just landed from a quick 40 minute Kayak fish with 3 snaps and a few KY.

Looks like a perfect area for a kayak fish.. with a bonus of a very tempting reef sitting in deep water on 5 k's from the beach.. with close to shore paddling the whole way apart from the last 800 meters.

Any one fished around here ? ( HLD??)
Attachments
Contours_FlatIsland.jpg
Lots of deep water and reefs...
Contours_FlatIsland.jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Google.jpg
I think I can paddle that far.. :)
Google.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 1711 times

Roath

Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am

And for those goggling where this is ;)

Google Street View

Fixed it 8)

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Yeah, we've fished around there from the launch and the Stabi now and then as a side trip from the Cavallis, never done as well as out at the islands.

Right in close at the northern side of the shelf between the peninsula and the island seemed to go best for us, rather than that pin.

I'm due to borrow a mate's place at Te Ngaere some time, and when I do will explore that coast a bit from the kayak. There's a heap of possibilities.

Roath

Thu May 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks PJ

Interesting and if I think about a few deep water large pins elsewhere they tend to be on of off. ( Mostly off)

You go there one day and it's all on, but most days it's tumbleweeds. I guess there's nothing there to keep the fish around.

Thanks for the tip.. that foul at the north of the island looks like it could be a good spot for winter moochers as well.

I'd love to do the Cavallis one day but too far to paddle for me (just starting). Plus I don't like the idea of leaving from Matauri Bay. Maybe I'll take my boat this summer , but then again launching at Matauri Bay looks a bit dodgy. (surf and locals.. I get the feeling outsiders are not welcome) I'd prefer Piapai bay , but my boats too heavy for the sand.

I take the family to PiaPia bay every chance we get in the summer. ( one bay over from Te Ngaere). I will do a little exploring from there as well... so let us know how your explorations go ! ;)

Wish the wind wasn't so strong tomorrow.. I'm feeling the urge.. :^) (Wife just told me I wont be allowed home until I catch fish this time... used to be OK when I had a motor.. but now my arms get too sore! :lol: )

Thanks again

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu May 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Roath wrote:...I'd love to do the Cavallis one day but too far to paddle for me (just starting). Plus I don't like the idea of leaving from Matauri Bay. Maybe I'll take my boat this summer , but then again launching at Matauri Bay looks a bit dodgy. (surf and locals.. I get the feeling outsiders are not welcome)...
Matauri is okay as long as you treat the place with respect, it's pretty much all Maori land there and 'outsiders' as you put it, are guests.
There were one or two troublemakers a while ago, but they seem to have (been) moved on.
If you're anxious, call in at the motor camp, give a few dollars (think it's $5, day rate) and they'll let you park in the ground, and probably launch the stinky boat if you really wanted to go all soft :lol:

Wind's going to be a pain for most of the weekend though.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Roath

Thu May 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Cheers HLD
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote: Wind's going to be a pain for most of the weekend though.
Yeah , maybe I'll just go for a small trip from Mahinepua Bay tomorrow morning. Should be able to stay out of the wind by keeping to the left of the bay ... tempting..... :^)

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Ive fished and dived the area extensively - more so while I lived in Kohukohu and it is a great place, there's big snapper to be found all around flat island and little flat as well, in fact anywhere on the whole peninsular can be a good place... I've found the kingies around the northen side and out in front of flat island and the pin out a bit further can go off! check out some of the trip reports that I've done from there...

Roath

Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks Kerry

Couldnt find any of your trip reports that mentioned flat island but you made it sound so good I'm leaving now for a paddle. ( bit late , but should hit the water about 8 )

Cheers :beer:

Roath

Fri May 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Well that was some good exercise! :lol:

Bloody FF was showing crap.. 2 days ago it was the best FF I've used. Today I could hardly see the bottom. I spent friggen ages restarting , changing the options.. defaulting but in the end gave up and just went blind.

I tried to get through the gap below Flat island to get to the north bits people recommended but the swell really built over the 3 meter shelf. I was about half way though the gap and thought to myself.. If it the weather turned ( which it was forecast to) I'll never get back, so I nervously turned the yak around in the big swells and headed around the back side of the island.

Spent about an hour almost at the top of Flat island ( very top was too wild) , but the swell got to me and I had to leave. I've never felt sea sick before.. but you really feel a 1.5 ish meter swell in a yak. :puke:

Heading back with the swell was a bit more fun.. climb climb climb and weeeeeeee and repeat. But then a front rolled through with a strong head wind and waves coming over the front of the yak. My decisions started becoming more 'Safety focused' at this point. Suddenly being out by myself , my 3rd ever kayak trip and no cell phone coverage started to sink in. :doh: So I focused on paddling well but not over doing it, sticking close to the land etc.

3/4 the way back, the weather went nice again and found the last two bays coming in were biting hard but either not sticking or too small.

So back to the beach 5 1/2 hours later. Stepping out of the yak was near impossible. Tired top half and dead bottom half. I'm glad no one was around to laugh at me. I finally managed to get out without falling into the water.

First thing I did was to open up the Kayak and check out the skimmer.. yep, it was no longer stuck to the bottom of the yak.. :swear:

No fish to keep again today, but spent allot of time trying different paddle strokes managed about 9 k's I guess.

So all good.. not sure I will go there again by myself again. I think I'll stick to Opito bay for a while. Bit more sheltered and has phone coverage :)
Attachments
20140530_132458.jpg
back on low tide

• Information